Most Terrible Act Since the Conquest?

Rob Storm

1 hour ago, RobOsevens said:

Not trolling but who decides what the universal ethic is that applies to all people? 

The person making the judgment.  If you click the link he provided, it gives examples of the possible sources of the universal ethic.  Mine is reduction of suffering and preservation of the diversity of life.  It's not perfect (how do you weigh suffering when different forms of life experience it differently, how do you balance suffering caused by permitting the existence of beings that inherently cause suffering), but it works for me.

Just now, Byrnard Sandors said:

The person making the judgment.  If you click the link he provided, it gives examples of the possible sources of the universal ethic.  Mine is reduction of suffering and preservation of the diversity of life.  It's not perfect (how do you weigh suffering when different forms of life experience it differently, how do you balance suffering caused by permitting the existence of beings that inherently cause suffering), but it works for me.

I dont think it is the person making the judgement it would have to be all people in order for it to be universal. I mean its almost guaranteed that your morals are not the same as mine so how would we decide which is right ? 

6 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

I dont think it is the person making the judgement it would have to be all people in order for it to be universal. I mean its almost guaranteed that your morals are not the same as mine so how would we decide which is right ? 

There are moral universalists whose "universal ethic" conflicts with mine.  They are still moral universalists because they believe that their ethic applies to all humans.  The linked article explains how moral universalism is related to moral realism and moral absolutism.  My moral universalism is more of the moral realist variety, but there are moral universalists (e.g. those with a religious derived ethic) that are moral absolutists. 

13 hours ago, Rob Storm said:

In your opinion, what is the most terrible atrocity committed by a person or peoples in Westeros that we know of since Aegon's conquest?  Didn't want to go back in history too far to where details and truth are hard to come by.

Just off the top of my head: Red Wedding, Castamere, Maegor the Cruel's various actions, Cheese(?) making the Queen choose which son dies, Brandon/Rickard's deaths, Frey Pies, Ramsey/Lady Hornwood, Sack of King's Landing, Stannis killing Renly ect.

Most of the crackpot theories here are pretty terrible and atrocious. Like the plethora of secret targ theories.  The ones where everyone is dario, mance, euron or benjen could be considered a crime against humanity 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

Most of the crackpot theories here are pretty terrible and atrocious. Like the plethora of secret targ theories.  The ones where everyone is dario, mance, euron or benjen could be considered a crime against humanity 

Daario is Euron.  I agree most of the other secret identity theories are probably not true, though.

8 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

There are moral universalists whose "universal ethic" conflicts with mine.  They are still moral universalists because they believe that their ethic applies to all humans.  The linked article explains how moral universalism is related to moral realism and moral absolutism.  My moral universalism is more of the moral realist variety, but there are moral universalists (e.g. those with a religious derived ethic) that are moral absolutists. 

hmmm.... seems unreasonable to me.

25 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

hmmm.... seems unreasonable to me.

That's the thing about philosophy and why it's not really a science.  You're a moral relativist, in your opinion there are serious flaws with moral universalism.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's not like saying your opinion is that a scientific theory is false when it has been proven true.  Moral relativism has not been "debunked", it has it's followers too who make good points.  You may want to read the article on moral relativism and it's criticisms, though.  My biggest issues are with "where do you draw cultural lines" and "how do you deal with a cultural change of heart".  Is it possible for something to be moral for one portion of a culture and immoral for another?  What percentage of a culture has to become abolitionists, for instance, before you can say that the cultural practice of slavery is no longer moral?  Is it moral for a minority to do things that are seen as immoral by the majority?

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_relativism.html

7 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

Daario is Euron.  I agree most of the other secret identity theories are probably not true, though.

Sweet summer child. you have so much to learn.
Euron is Rhaegar, who is Mance, who is Benjen, who is Tansy the whore, who is Tyrion, who is Jason Mallister, who is Illyrio, who is Doreah, who is Belwas, who is Cat who is Kevan who is Osha, who is Janos, who is Tommen, who is Lysa, who is Jorah, who is Jeyne Poole, who is Varys, who is the Sealord of Bravos, who is Sansa, who is Daven, who is Jory Cassel, who is Leathers, who is Craster, who is Wun wun, who is Chatya, who is Doran, who is Ned Dayne, who is Cersei, who is Drogo, who is MMD, who is Oberyn, who is the Blackfish, who is Arianne, who is the kindly man, who is Pate, who is Sarella, who is Irri, who is Glendon Ball, who is Davos, who is the ghost of high heart, who is gendry, who is Mel, who is Beric, who is Victarion, who is Falyse, who is Tywin, who is Theon, who is Kyra, who is Roose, who is Gilly, who is Septon meribald, who is Arya, who is Alister Thorne, who is Alleras, who is Oberyn again, who is Asha, who is Gregor, who is edmure, who is sweetrobin, who is tysha, who is Margery, who is Ser Hugh, who is Loras, who is the Elder Brother, who is Dany, who is the hound, who is Tywin again, who is the dusky woman who is Dario.
Get it together man. Your tinfoil seems a little lacking   

33 minutes ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

You're going to be shocked when you find out that Daario is Daario. No trollo.

14 hours ago, Cayrouse said:

I'd propose The rule of house Targaryen.

They managed to effectively turn a private Bracken-Blackwood feud into a series of Wars that engulfed all of Westeros just because one megalomaniac couldn't keep it in his pants.

They murdered tens of thousands of subjects because they did not want to adhere to the values of the people they had colonised.

They influenced other morons like Cersei. (regarding incest and pyromania)

They ruled  (more or less unopposed) for three hundred years but failed to do anything about the declining night's watch and allowed it to weaken just in time for the return of the others.

Thanks to their hubris they repeatedly led innocents to their deaths

-Invasion of Dorne (twice)

-BBQing of Summerhall

-Attempted mass murder at Kingslanding

etc...

Seems like a good enough pick. And Dany only continues this list. 

2 hours ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

I wouldn't be shocked, mildly surprised is best.  Just like if I find out that Jon Snow is really Jon Targaryan.

You'll really be surprised if R+L=J=truth?

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

Sweet summer child. you have so much to learn.
Euron is Rhaegar, who is Mance, who is Benjen, who is Tansy the whore, who is Tyrion, who is Jason Mallister, who is Illyrio, who is Doreah, who is Belwas, who is Cat who is Kevan who is Osha, who is Janos, who is Tommen, who is Lysa, who is Jorah, who is Jeyne Poole, who is Varys, who is the Sealord of Bravos, who is Sansa, who is Daven, who is Jory Cassel, who is Leathers, who is Craster, who is Wun wun, who is Chatya, who is Doran, who is Ned Dayne, who is Cersei, who is Drogo, who is MMD, who is Oberyn, who is the Blackfish, who is Arianne, who is the kindly man, who is Pate, who is Sarella, who is Irri, who is Glendon Ball, who is Davos, who is the ghost of high heart, who is gendry, who is Mel, who is Beric, who is Victarion, who is Falyse, who is Tywin, who is Theon, who is Kyra, who is Roose, who is Gilly, who is Septon meribald, who is Arya, who is Alister Thorne, who is Alleras, who is Oberyn again, who is Asha, who is Gregor, who is edmure, who is sweetrobin, who is tysha, who is Margery, who is Ser Hugh, who is Loras, who is the Elder Brother, who is Dany, who is the hound, who is Tywin again, who is the dusky woman who is Dario.
Get it together man. Your tinfoil seems a little lacking   

:agree::lmao:

If dog really was killed... that would be the worst. The killing of Lady and Grey WInd were bad enough.

8 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

I'd add what Cersei and Qyburn are doing in their dungeons to the list (Senelle, Falyse, the puppeteers, the blue bard...).

And Littlefinger is responsible for a lot of atrocities.

Torture is not something to be taken lightly. I would not say Marillion was treated well by Littlefinger.

And while we are on the subject of LF, Jeyne Poole was dealt a pretty lousy hand when she was handed over for "training" and then had to be married to Ramsay with all that entailed.

And on top of that, LF is partly responsible for all the horrors that happened during the war of the 5 kings.

Khal drogo and the dothraki in general should make the list as well (and for that matter Dany, who told Drogo to invade Westeros which led to the massacre of that lhazareen town).

Victarion drowning sex slave boys and burning slave girls is pretty bad too.

Archived