Knife found at OJ Simpson's old house

Fez

9 hours ago, Rychard Wrythen said:

Is there really anyone who lived through the 90s that thinks he didn't do it? Must be impossible

8 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes.

The twelve members of the jury.

Eh, not necessarily.  The verdict could have been as a result of jury nullification. 

I'm not really saying one way or the other, just that it's a possibility. 

On 3/4/2016 at 10:30 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not so strange if that occurred before or during the trial. Pretty much a cornerstone of the defenses tactics was appealing to a mostly black jury.

Which was a smart strategy, given the political climate at that time.

On 3/4/2016 at 10:37 AM, sologdin said:

the evidence with which i am familiar is that an investigator of the crime perjured himself with regard to his own racism.  

Kind of, sort of, yes.  

On 3/4/2016 at 0:12 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I worked in the Criminal Courts building during the OJ trial, so I kind of got a unique bird's eye view of the circus that was this trial.  I too understand why the jury voted as it did.  I think it was a combination of superior lawyering and a feeling on the part of black folks that this was one of those rare opportunities to protect one of their own, after decades of being abused by the system.  I can't say I blame them, actually.  I'd feel the same way.

I worked for a large national bank in retail and all of our call centers basically went silent when that verdict was being  announced.

We are talking normal traffic of a couple thousand calls at any given moment, to basically nothing.

It seems to me that once the venue was moved and the jury was selected, the trial was already over.  he wasn't going to get convicted.

But I personally have no doubt whatsoever that it was Orenthal James Simpson who committed these crimes.  Although he's sitting in prison right now for an unrelated (somewhat) crime, he's up for parole in 2017.  Should be interesting to see what happens. 

Yep.

On 3/7/2016 at 2:07 PM, Rychard Wrythen said:

Is there really anyone who lived through the 90s that thinks he didn't do it? Must be impossible

yeah, dude, i was at university at the time, and all the rightwing douches were hoping that it would be a conviction, despite the fact that the case was 100% circumstantial and a goodly portion of the circumstantial case was collected by violent perjurer racist on the one hand, whereas on the other the state could not explain whither the defendant's blood sample had gone.  it was completely fucking bogus and there's no way a conviction should ever be considered reasonable in these circumstances.

4 minutes ago, sologdin said:

yeah, dude, i was at university at the time, and all the rightwing douches were hoping that it would be a conviction, despite the fact that the case was 100% circumstantial and a goodly portion of the circumstantial case was collected by violent perjurer racist on the one hand, whereas on the other the state could not explain whither the defendant's blood sample had gone.  it was completely fucking bogus and there's no way a conviction should ever be considered reasonable in these circumstances.

I agree with you regarding the conviction, but that's not the question...

4 minutes ago, sologdin said:

Yea it was a comedy of errors, no one contends that, but still ... the man even ran from the cops. And he was rich lawl ...

Quoting Patricia Williams, a Columbia University law professor, "it is important to remember that in any justice system, a person can be both guilty and railroaded."  In this case, the collection of evidence and chain of custody was a mess, and the prosecution performed badly, especially with the addition of Mark Fuhrman as a witness and the glove debacle.  As some learned pundit on NPR pointed out a few years ago, to look at this case in isolation is an incorrect perspective.  To look at the case against OJ as one occurring in LA, which was reconstructing itself after the Rodney King verdict, is a more appropriate approach.  Certainly, OJ's plight in that the case against him seemed to be tainted from the beginning struck a chord with black jurors in LA.  So, while the verdict may have been correct given the case against him, my opinion is that OJ killed Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.  

I also agree with ToL's statements regarding the tapes of the repeated 911 calls that Nicole made throughout her marriage.  They were a horror to hear, and again demonstrate the failure of police and our legal system to address appropriately domestic violence situations.  

The police officer keeping a knife found at the scene is beyond bizarre and sickening. 

Archived