Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

"I need a piss," the dwarf announced. He waddled off the road, undid his breeches, and relieved himself into a tangle of thorns. It took quite a long time.

"He pisses well, at least," a voice observed.

Tyrion III, Dance 8

Euron will bugger Tyrion, obviously. 

Hmm...

"I can protect myself. Nuncle, I am a kraken. Asha, of House Greyjoy." She pushed to her feet. "It's my father's seat I want, not yours. Those scythes of yours look perilous. One could fall and slice my head off. No, I'll sit the Seastone Chair."

The Kraken's Daughter, Feast 11

If Asha does not sit the Seastone Chair, perhaps a Harlaw will kill Asha, or maybe a white haired woman with a bronze sickle, or Euron, the Reaper of Pike?

That brought a bitter twist to Ned's mouth. "Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King's Hand and a father to queens. I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

"Perhaps not," Catelyn said, "but Brandon is dead, and the cup has passed, and you must drink from it, like it or not."

The old knight's white mustache was pink with wine. "You have done well, Bran. Here, and at the audiences. You will be an especial fine lord one day, I think."
I want to be a knight. Bran took another sip of the spiced honey wine from his father's goblet, grateful for something to clutch. The lifelike head of a snarling direwolf was raised on the side of the cup. He felt the silver muzzle pressing against his palm, and remembered the last time he had seen his lord father drink from this goblet.

Ned didn't ask for the cup to pass to him, but he had to drink from it, all the same (take up the mantle of Lord of Winterfell).
Now that Ned is dead, it has passed to Bran, who doesn't want it, but still has to be the Lord of Winterfell.

17 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

That brought a bitter twist to Ned's mouth. "Brandon. Yes. Brandon would know what to do. He always did. It was all meant for Brandon. You, Winterfell, everything. He was born to be a King's Hand and a father to queens. I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

"Perhaps not," Catelyn said, "but Brandon is dead, and the cup has passed, and you must drink from it, like it or not."

The old knight's white mustache was pink with wine. "You have done well, Bran. Here, and at the audiences. You will be an especial fine lord one day, I think."
I want to be a knight. Bran took another sip of the spiced honey wine from his father's goblet, grateful for something to clutch. The lifelike head of a snarling direwolf was raised on the side of the cup. He felt the silver muzzle pressing against his palm, and remembered the last time he had seen his lord father drink from this goblet.

Ned didn't ask for the cup to pass to him, but he had to drink from it, all the same (take up the mantle of Lord of Winterfell).
Now that Ned is dead, it has passed to Bran, who doesn't want it, but still has to be the Lord of Winterfell.

This would apply too, I think (though it isn't drinking but eating)

“The trees will teach him,” said Leaf. She beckoned, and another of the singers padded forward, the white-haired one that Meera had named Snowy locks. She had a weirwood bowl in her hands, carved with a dozen faces, like the ones the heart trees wore. Inside was a white paste, thick and heavy, with dark red veins running through it. “You must eat of this,” said Leaf. She handed Bran a wooden spoon.
The boy looked at the bowl uncertainly. “What is it?”
“A paste of weirwood seeds.”
Something about the look of it made Bran feel ill. The red veins were only weirwood sap, he supposed, but in the torchlight they looked remarkably like blood. He dipped the spoon into the paste, then hesitated. “Will this make me a greenseer?”
“Your blood makes you a greenseer,” said Lord Brynden. “This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees.”
Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him? A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. A greenseer.
He ate.

8 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

This would apply too, I think (though it isn't drinking but eating)

“The trees will teach him,” said Leaf. She beckoned, and another of the singers padded forward, the white-haired one that Meera had named Snowy locks. She had a weirwood bowl in her hands, carved with a dozen faces, like the ones the heart trees wore. Inside was a white paste, thick and heavy, with dark red veins running through it. “You must eat of this,” said Leaf. She handed Bran a wooden spoon.
The boy looked at the bowl uncertainly. “What is it?”
“A paste of weirwood seeds.”
Something about the look of it made Bran feel ill. The red veins were only weirwood sap, he supposed, but in the torchlight they looked remarkably like blood. He dipped the spoon into the paste, then hesitated. “Will this make me a greenseer?”
“Your blood makes you a greenseer,” said Lord Brynden. “This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees.”
Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him? A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. A greenseer.
He ate.

Yes,he has to become a greenseer even if he doesn't want to. The bowl passing from BR to him, maybe..

Perhaps Brienne will be burned by dragonfire....

“The field should be the color of sunset,” he said suddenly. “The old man liked sunsets. And the device . . .

“An elm tree,” said Egg. “A big elm tree, like the one by the pool, with a brown trunk and green branches.”

“Yes,” Dunk said. “That would serve. An elm tree . . . but with a shooting star above. Could you do that?”

Oak and iron, guard me well, or else I’m dead and doomed to hell.

The Hedge Knight

She meant to keep the heavy oaken shield Jaime had given her, the one he'd borne himself from Harrenhal to King's Landing.

Your door reminded me of an old shield I once saw in my father's armory." She described the arms as best she could recall them.

"You did beautifully," she said, when the woman showed her the freshly painted shield. It was more a picture than a proper coat of arms, and the sight of it took her back through the long years, to the cool dark of her father's armory. She remembered how she'd run her fingertips across the cracked and fading paint, over the green leaves of the tree, and along the path of the falling star.

Brienne II, Feast 9

Some tried to hide behind their shields, but neither oak nor iron could withstand dragon’s breath.

The Princess and the Queen

In the early part of the war, Lord Borros proved reluctant to face the dragons personally. But toward the end of the Dance, he and his stormlanders seized King's Landing during the Moon of the Three Kings, restoring the city to order and winning promises that his eldest daughter would become the new queen of the widowed King Aegon II. Then he boldly led the last of the royalist host against the approaching riverlanders, who were commanded by the young Lord Kermit Tully, the even-younger Benjicot Blackwood, and Blackwood's sister Alysanne. When the Lord of Storm's End learned that the host was led by boys and women, he grew confident in his victory, but Bloody Ben Blackwood, as he was remembered after, broke his flank, while Black Aly Blackwood led the archers who brought down his knights. Lord Borros was defiant to the end, and the accounts claim he killed a dozen knights and slew Lords Darry and Mallister before he himself was slain by Kermit Tully.

This is going to repeat. Black Aly is Arya, Kermit is Edmure and Borros is Gendry. Only Gendry is going to be a KG rather than Lord of Storm's End, he will lead a host against the Riverlands who are marching on to join with Jon (Cregan) who is marching south and to their east.

Gendry is not going to die, he's going to be taken alive. Somewhat similar to Jaime, a KG taken in the Riverlands.

By the time her cup was empty, Arya was yawning. Gendry hadn't come back. Tom Sevenstrings was singing "Two Hearts that Beat as One," and kissing a different girl at the end of every verse. In the corner by the window Lem and Harwin sat talking to red-haired Tansy in low voices. ". . . spent the night in Jaime's cell," she heard the woman say. "Her and this other wench, the one who slew Renly. All three o' them together, and come the morn Lady Catelyn cut him loose for love." She gave a throaty chuckle.

And this is where and how the Arya and Gendry magic is going to happen (minus Brienne).

The first time they're about to tell this story (or something like it) the BWB send Arya out of hearing. Gendry goes to her.

After she does hear it this time, some old bloke mistakes her for a 'peach' and Gendry comes saves her from him without her realising it. Note also two hearts beat as one playing in the background.

8 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

This is going to repeat. Black Aly is Arya, Kermit is Edmure and Borros is Gendry. Only Gendry is going to be a KG rather than Lord of Storm's End, he will lead a host against the Riverlands who are marching on to join with Jon (Cregan) who is marching south and to their east.

Gendry is not going to die, he's going to be taken alive. Somewhat similar to Jaime, a KG taken in the Riverlands.

And this is where and how the Arya and Gendry magic is going to happen (minus Brienne).

The first time they're about to tell this story (or something like it) the BWB send Arya out of hearing. Gendry goes to her.

After she does hear it this time, some old bloke mistakes her for a 'peach' and Gendry comes saves her from him without her realising it. Note also two hearts beat as one playing in the background.

Why do you say Gendry will be Kingsguard? 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why do you say Gendry will be Kingsguard? 

For every reason. White Hart, White bull. When he's not saving maidens (Arya from Hot Pie, Arya at the peach, Brienne from Biter) he's protecting random orphanages. Positioned to prove his worth during the putting down of an outlaw rebellion. KL bastard come knight.

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

For every reason. White Hart, White bull. When he's not saving maidens (Arya from Hot Pie, Arya at the peach, Brienne from Biter) he's protecting random orphanages. Positioned to prove his worth during the putting down of an outlaw rebellion. KL bastard come knight.

For which king or queen? 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

For which king or queen? 

Tyrion and Sansa. Sansa's trial will clear out at least five of the current KG, and Jaime, Tyrion and Sansa will get to pick the new, most from her fighters in the trial. Brienne, Sandor, Gendry for a start.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:59 PM, chrisdaw said:

Tyrion and Sansa. Sansa's trial will clear out at least five of the current KG, and Jaime, Tyrion and Sansa will get to pick the new, most from her fighters in the trial. Brienne, Sandor, Gendry for a start.

Wow! That's a lot of prediction.:stunned:

• 2 weeks later...

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

And

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. "Mother!" they cried. "Mother, mother!" They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them . . .

Foreshadowing the same thing, the same scene.

Dany embracing the fire, burning, dying, to begin a second life inside the dragon that will save Westeros from the Others, and cure the population's greyscale.

Dany denied the fire at Drogo's pyre, she chose to live through it. She has to embrace it the final time, give herself to her people, go through the red door, take her place as the fiery dragon's heart, be cleansed of all her humanly doubts and pain, be reborn strong, new and fierce.

From Jon XI, ASoS:

Even to dream otherwise seemed disloyal, as if he were betraying them in his heart, wishing for their deaths. I never wanted this, he thought as he stood before the blue-eyed king and the red woman

and, almost immediately after this:

He did not fool himself; the free folk would make for unruly subjects and dangerous neighbors. Yet when he weighed Ygritte's red hair against the cold blue eyes of the wights, the choice was easy. "I agree." 

Stannis becomes an Other?
Melisandre is on Jon's side / a friend? (Which is likely, even though she's unpredictable)

It's a repeated juxtaposition of red and blue that just stood out to me on my re-read.

7 hours ago, rhythmicsheep said:

From Jon XI, ASoS:

and, almost immediately after this:

Stannis becomes an Other?
Melisandre is on Jon's side / a friend? (Which is likely, even though she's unpredictable)

It's a repeated juxtaposition of red and blue that just stood out to me on my re-read.

After The George gives us the tale of the seventy-nine sentinals, he gives us the tale of the Night's King...

The gathering gloom put Bran in mind of another of Old Nan’s stories, the tale of Night’s King. He had been the thirteenth man to lead the Night’s Watch, she said; a warrior who knew no fear. “And that was the fault in him,” she would add, “for all men must know fear.” A woman was his downfall; a woman glimpsed from atop the Wall, with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars. Fearing nothing, he chased her and caught her and loved her, though her skin was cold as ice, and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well.

He brought her back to the Nightfort and proclaimed her a queen and himself her king, and with strange sorceries he bound his Sworn Brothers to his will. For thirteen years they had ruled, Night’s King and his corpse queen, till finally the Stark of Winterfell and Joramun of the wildlings had joined to free the Watch from bondage. After his fall, when it was found he had been sacrificing to the Others, all records of Night’s King had been destroyed, his very name forbidden.

“Some say he was a Bolton,” Old Nan would always end. “Some say a Magnar out of Skagos, some say Umber, Flint, or Norrey. Some would have you think he was a Woodfoot, from them who ruled Bear Island before the ironmen came. He never was. He was a Stark, the brother of the man who brought him down.” She always pinched Bran on the nose then, he would never forget it. “He was a Stark of Winterfell, and who can say? Mayhaps his name was Brandon. Mayhaps he slept in this very bed in this very room.”

Bran IV, Storm 56

From this tale we see that a watchman set himself up as a king, with his seat at the Nightfort, after he had become ensorceled by a female Other. He sacrificed to the Others, presumably like Craster, and he was eventually brought down by the Lord of Stark and the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Old Nan suggests that there might have been a kinslaying element involved, but as the passage below suggests, this may have just been a flourish for young Bran's entertainment. 

Although the Night's King is referred to in passing a few more times, we don't learn anything else in the novels. Unlike the seventy-nine sentinals, though, we get a little clarification in The World of Ice and Fire...

The oldest of these tales concern the legendary Night’s King, the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, who was alleged to have bedded a sorceress pale as a corpse and declared himself a king. For thirteen years the Night’s King and his “corpse queen” ruled together, before King of Winter, Brandon the Breaker, (in alliance, it is said, with the King-Beyond-the-Wall, Joramun) brought them down. Thereafter, he obliterated the Night’s King’s very name from memory.

In the Citadel, the archmaesters largely dismiss these tales—though some allow that there may have been a Lord Commander who attempted to carve out a kingdom for himself in the earliest days of the Watch. Some suggest that perhaps the corpse queen was a woman of the Barrowlands, a daughter of the Barrow King who was then a power in his own right, and oft associated with graves. The Night’s King has been said to have been variously a Bolton, a Woodfoot, an Umber, a Flint, a Norrey, or even a Stark, depending on where the tale is told. Like all tales, it takes on the attributes that make it most appealing to those who tell it.

The World of Ice and Fire

The ASOIAF character that bears the strongest association to the Night’s King is King Stannis, who will claim the Nightfort as his royal seat soon after Bran recalls Old Nan's tale. He appears have been ensorceled by a pale woman. And although we don't have a connection with the Others, he has sacrificed and made those shadowbabies, and he just might be fixing to sacrifice his daughter. I wonder who will bring him down? 

31 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

After The George gives us the tale of the seventy-nine sentinals, he gives us the tale of the Night's King...

Bran IV, Storm 56

From this tale we see that a watchman set himself up as a king, with his seat at the Nightfort, after he had become ensorceled by a female Other. He sacrificed to the Others, presumably like Craster, and he was eventually brought down by the Lord of Stark and the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Old Nan suggests that there might have been a kinslaying element involved, but as the passage below suggests, this may have just been a flourish for young Bran's entertainment. 

From the passage of the Night's King by Bran, and specially the line "when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well," I wonder if "carnal knowledge" is necessary for some Ice Sorcery to turn a human into an Other and if so, are Craster's babies being converted this way by a bunch of female Others upon reaching a certain age?

40 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The ASOIAF character that bears the strongest association to the Night’s King is King Stannis, who will claim the Nightfort as his royal seat soon after Bran recalls Old Nan's tale. He appears have been ensorceled by a pale woman. And although we don't have a connection with the Others, he has sacrificed and made those shadowbabies, and he just might be fixing to sacrifice his daughter. I wonder who will bring him down? 

Stannis has been sacrificing not to a god of Ice, but to a god of Fire and his pale woman is a sorceress for the Lord of Light, hence making him a sort of bizarro Night's King. For the foreshadow to take place, he would be cast down by the opposite of a Stark, maybe? Or a wight?

16 hours ago, Blackfyre Bastard said:

From the passage of the Night's King by Bran, and specially the line "when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well," I wonder if "carnal knowledge" is necessary for some Ice Sorcery to turn a human into an Other and if so, are Craster's babies being converted this way by a bunch of female Others upon reaching a certain age?

Possibly, but we don't know how infants could survive long enough to reach that age, in the kind of cold that the Others bring.

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Thank you! Never made the connection but it seems significant now.

A Night's king was brought down by a Stark (ice), so perhaps Stannis could be brought down by a Targ? (fire)

17 minutes ago, rhythmicsheep said:

Possibly, but we don't know how infants could survive long enough to reach that age, in the kind of cold that the Others bring.

Thank you! Never made the connection but it seems significant now.

A Night's king was brought down by a Stark (ice), so perhaps Stannis could be brought down by a Targ? (fire)

That's a good bet...

I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning… burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?

Davos V, Storm 54

Archived