Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

Consider this. . .

The Plaza of Pride with its great bronze harpy was too small to hold all the Unsullied she had bought. Instead they had been assembled in the Plaza of Punishment, fronting on Astapor's main gate, so they might be marched directly from the city once Daenerys had taken them in hand. There were no bronze statues here; only a wooden platform where rebellious slaves were racked, and flayed, and hanged. "The Good Masters place them so they will be the first thing a new slave sees upon entering the city," Missandei told her as they came to the plaza.

At first glimpse, Dany thought their skin was striped like the zorses of the Jogos Nhai. Then she rode her silver nearer and saw the raw red flesh beneath the crawling black stripes. Flies. Flies and maggots.

Daenerys III, Storm 27

Black on red, Blackfyre colors. Now consider this. . .

A fly buzzed her head. Dany waved it off, irritated, but it returned almost at once. "There are too many flies in this city."

Ben Plumm gave a bark of laughter. "There were flies in my ale this morning. I swallowed one of them."

"Flies are the dead man's revenge." Daario smiled, and stroked the center prong of his beard. "Corpses breed maggots, and maggots breed flies."

Daenerys VI, Storm 71

Brown Ben Plumm or Tyrion, will betray the red dragon for the black dragon.

On 4/10/2016 at 8:59 PM, chrisdaw said:

I don't state who she marries for the same reason I'm not inclined to make a thread. Sweetrobin will be Tyrion's and Sansa's heir and most everything leads back to them sitting the IT, and so threads always end up back there. I made a thread about the foreshadowing of Jon coming south and it ended up there within a page or two. And I've made the case for king Tyrion and queen Sansa enough times to know no amount of foreshadowing is going to convince people, as though characters being torn between family, duty and personal desire is something foreign to the series, I'm going to have to wait for TWOW and maybe people will see the path then.

I simply don't know what the other ships represent and foreshadow, I haven't looked into them yet, that's why there's nothing on them. Marya I thought might be like the other personality of Arya, there's Arya Stark and the FM no-one, but I haven't explored that. The language about Davos' sons is conspicuous too, and is likely foreshadowing major players, another thing to look into.

Jaime thinking the maesters are not like to confuse him with Aemon the dragonknight, when he's already halfway there, and saying Lancel isn't like to be mistaken for Baelor the Blessed when Lancel is transforming into Baelor both mentally and physically in front of his eyes. Two sets of cousins.

I got a thought on Jon fathering a bastard, the same way Eddard 'fathered' a bastard ... a bastard belonging to a dearly beloved sister and in mortal danger because it's a great threat to the realm.

As certain as I am about some ideas, I try to keep an open mind and listen to alternatives when they seem plausible, especially in regards to predicting future events in the text.  Don't let disagreement get you down.  I don't agree with some of your theories, but still enjoy discussing the text with you, and I think you bring attention to scenes (like those in Davos III) that are significant.  (More often than not, people I disagree with are the users that bring an important aspects of the text to my attention.)  We can agree that certain scenes are significant, even if we don't agree to their meaning.

I think that there might be some connection to Sansa and Viserion.  In this, we probably both agree.  Both have imagery of a bat connected to them, for example.  And (although I might be looking into this took much) Viserion's colors (scales and flames) match the color of the sigils of the suitors in the Ashford Tourney theory - gold, white, red.  Maybe she ends up with Viserion's rider, or winds up riding Viserion herself?  :dunno:  I discuss this a little  in the Bat and Wolf thread in my signature.  Feel free to add anything there, if you'd like.

If your theory that Tyrion is Viserion's ultimate rider is correct, well, Sansa remains married to Tyrion perhaps.  I believe, however, that if Tyrion does become a rider, it will be used as proof that Targaryen blood is not necessary to become a dragon rider, not the other way around.  I do agree that Tyrion will at least attempt to ride a dragon, possibly Viserion.  (Although, I personally don't see him succeeding.)  I have multiple ideas on who the dragon riders will be.  Ultimately, Viserion will either have three riders or three major attempted riders.  One idea (amongst many) is that Viserion's ultimate rider is a reversal of the Lightbringer trope.  First, the sun's son (Quentyn) fails in his attempt.  The lion (Tyrion) will attempt next, and fail.  The "water" will succeed.  (Waters?  Is Jon Snow technically a Waters?  I think Aurane Waters will attempt to ride a dragon, though I'm uncertain of his ultimate success.  Is Aegon a Waters too?  I feel that he'll end up with Rhaegal though...  Greyjoy could fit the bill for the water parallel, but I'm even more doubtful of their ultimate success.)

Viserion having three riders, or three attempts, is foreshadowed in the below scene from the Hedge Knight.  Note that the pieces of the dragon parallel the placement of Dany's eggs on Drogo's funeral pyre.  The "tail" (Viserion's egg was placed between Drogo's legs) is in three pieces.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces. And in the midst of it all stood Prince Aerion, resplendent in a red velvet doublet with long dagged sleeves, twisting Tanselle's arm in both hands.

As for a Daemon Targaryen echo in the main series, Aurane Waters also fits the bill.  I've stated as much before BryndenBFish's blog post, but he sums it up nicely here: https://warsandpoliticsoficeandfire.wordpress.com/2016/02/03/agents-of-chaos-part-3-the-pirate-king/

Perhaps another clue on Tyrion riding Viserion...

Her hair had burned away in Drogo's pyre, so her handmaids garbed her in the skin of the hrakkar Drogo had slain, the white lion of the Dothraki sea.  Its fearsome head made a hood to cover her naked scalp, its pelt a cloak that flowed across her shoulders and down her back.  The cream-colored dragon (Viserion) sunk sharp black claws into the lions mane and coiled its tail around her arm, while Ser Jorah took his accustomed place by her side.  ACoK, Chapter 12, Dany I

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

As certain as I am about some ideas, I try to keep an open mind and listen to alternatives when they seem plausible, especially in regards to predicting future events in the text.  Don't let disagreement get you down.  I don't agree with some of your theories, but still enjoy discussing the text with you, and I think you bring attention to scenes (like those in Davos III) that are significant.  (More often than not, people I disagree with are the users that bring an important aspects of the text to my attention.)  We can agree that certain scenes are significant, even if we don't agree to their meaning.

I think that there might be some connection to Sansa and Viserion.  In this, we probably both agree.  Both have imagery of a bat connected to them, for example.  And (although I might be looking into this took much) Viserion's colors (scales and flames) match the color of the sigils of the suitors in the Ashford Tourney theory - gold, white, red.  Maybe she ends up with Viserion's rider, or winds up riding Viserion herself?  :dunno:  I discuss this a little  in the Bat and Wolf thread in my signature.  Feel free to add anything there, if you'd like.

If your theory that Tyrion is Viserion's ultimate rider is correct, well, Sansa remains married to Tyrion perhaps.  I believe, however, that if Tyrion does become a rider, it will be used as proof that Targaryen blood is not necessary to become a dragon rider, not the other way around.  I do agree that Tyrion will at least attempt to ride a dragon, possibly Viserion.  (Although, I personally don't see him succeeding.)  I have multiple ideas on who the dragon riders will be.  Ultimately, Viserion will either have three riders or three major attempted riders.  One idea (amongst many) is that Viserion's ultimate rider is a reversal of the Lightbringer trope.  First, the sun's son (Quentyn) fails in his attempt.  The lion (Tyrion) will attempt next, and fail.  The "water" will succeed.  (Waters?  Is Jon Snow technically a Waters?  I think Aurane Waters will attempt to ride a dragon, though I'm uncertain of his ultimate success.  Is Aegon a Waters too?  I feel that he'll end up with Rhaegal though...  Greyjoy could fit the bill for the water parallel, but I'm even more doubtful of their ultimate success.)

Viserion having three riders, or three attempts, is foreshadowed in the below scene from the Hedge Knight.  Note that the pieces of the dragon parallel the placement of Dany's eggs on Drogo's funeral pyre.  The "tail" (Viserion's egg was placed between Drogo's legs) is in three pieces.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces. And in the midst of it all stood Prince Aerion, resplendent in a red velvet doublet with long dagged sleeves, twisting Tanselle's arm in both hands.

As for a Daemon Targaryen echo in the main series, Aurane Waters also fits the bill.  I've stated as much before BryndenBFish's blog post, but he sums it up nicely here: https://warsandpoliticsoficeandfire.wordpress.com/2016/02/03/agents-of-chaos-part-3-the-pirate-king/

I like the idea of Aurane Waters, he seems a bit rogue to me.

Characters i think resemble Daemon Targaryen in that they are "Rogue" is.

- Aurane Waters "He is a social climber with ambition, and trys to forge his own path like Daemon Targaryen did when he crowned himself King of the Stepstones and the Narrowsea"

- Daario "Does what he like"

- Gerold Dayne or Darkstar "Badass"

- Gerion Lannister "Sailed to Valyria to find Brightroar and did what he wanted"

- Jaime Lannister "Killed his first king, Cuckolded the seconded, the thir and fourth kings he served was of his own sead, he is a badass"

What do you think?

Also i think that Petyr Baelish paralells Larys Strong and will take many of the same roles as he did. If not Petyr Baelish then Varys will.

Consider this. . .

The Plaza of Pride with its great bronze harpy was too small to hold all the Unsullied she had bought. Instead they had been assembled in the Plaza of Punishment, fronting on Astapor's main gate, so they might be marched directly from the city once Daenerys had taken them in hand. There were no bronze statues here; only a wooden platform where rebellious slaves were racked, and flayed, and hanged. "The Good Masters place them so they will be the first thing a new slave sees upon entering the city," Missandei told her as they came to the plaza.

At first glimpse, Dany thought their skin was striped like the zorses of the Jogos Nhai. Then she rode her silver nearer and saw the raw red flesh beneath the crawling black stripes. Flies. Flies and maggots.

Daenerys III, Storm 27

Black on red, Targaryen colors. Now consider this. . .

In the very next chapter, this is how Arya finds the Karstark men, who have just betrayed King Robb, in the crow cages at Stoney Sept...

Around his mouth his ragged beard was thick with blood and flies.

But the worst thing was between his legs, where nothing remained but a crusted brown hole crawling with maggots.

Arya V, Storm 29

Then we get this...

A fly buzzed her head. Dany waved it off, irritated, but it returned almost at once. "There are too many flies in this city."

Ben Plumm gave a bark of laughter. "There were flies in my ale this morning. I swallowed one of them."

"Flies are the dead man's revenge." Daario smiled, and stroked the center prong of his beard. "Corpses breed maggots, and maggots breed flies."

Daenerys VI, Storm 71

Tyrion, whom Brown Ben has accepted into the Second Sons, will betray the red dragon for the black dragon, and the dead man will have his revenge. 

Two examples from AGoT foreshadow Arya’s future in Braavos as a “faceless” assassin by describing Arya “actually” making a face, contorting her expression in reaction to another.

1].  “Sansa, of course, had named her pup ‘Lady’.  Arya made a face  and hugged the wolfling tight” (AGoT 71).

2].  Jon gives Arya a “curious look” and asks, “Shouldn’t you be working on your stitches, little sister?’

Arya made a face at him” (AGoT 71).

The foreshadowing for Jon/Arya/Ghost/Nymeria vs Tyrion/Jaime.

The foreshadowing melds into one another, for instance Sunfyre is definitely Jaime, but he's also the mount a Tyrion parallel rides, so foreshadowing can suit both Jaime or Viserion. Sunfyre losing an eye to Grey Ghost is I think more likely foreshadowing for Tyrion's mount Viserion rather than Jaime, as I speculated previously Viserion would cop an arrow in the eye.

Cregan (Jon or Arya) vs Aemon (Jaime) in a duel, the result not given.

Winter wolves (Jon/Arya) vs Criston Cole (Jaime) in the Butcher's Ball at the Gods Eye. Wolves win, Cole loses and dies.

Baela Targaryen (Arya) on Moondancer (Arya) vs Aegon II (Tyrion) on Sunfyre (Jaime). Moondancer is blinded during the fight. Sunfyre wins but eventually dies of wounds sustained. Moondancer is devoured by Sunfyre. Aegon II wounded but survives, Baela also wounded but survives.

Grey Ghost (Nymeria) vs Sunfyre (Jaime). Riderless fight. Grey Ghost killed and partially devoured by Sunfyre. Initially thought Cannibal's work. Sunfyre loses an eye and other damage.

Daemon (Arya) on Caraxes (Ghost) vs Aemond (Tyrion) on Vhagar. Daemon puts Dark Sister through Aemond's eye, both riders died when everything fell down. Caraxes ripped out Vhagar's throat, Vhagar clawed Caraxes' stomach and bit off a wing. Vhagar died in the fall. Caraxes pulled himself onto the shore and died in front of HH. Battle at the Gods Eye.

Daemon (Arya) vs Criston Cole (Jaime). A tourney melee at Maidenpool. Cole won when he knocked Dark Sister from Daemon's hands with his morning star.

1 hour ago, evita mgfs said:

Two examples from AGoT foreshadow Arya’s future in Braavos as a “faceless” assassin by describing Arya “actually” making a face, contorting her expression in reaction to another.

1].  “Sansa, of course, had named her pup ‘Lady’.  Arya made a face  and hugged the wolfling tight” (AGoT 71).

2].  Jon gives Arya a “curious look” and asks, “Shouldn’t you be working on your stitches, little sister?’

Arya made a face at him” (AGoT 71).

And this...

Later they passed through a burned village, threading their way carefully between the shells of blackened hovels and past the bones of a dozen dead men hanging from a row of apple trees. When Hot Pie saw them he began to pray, a thin whispered plea for the Mother's mercy, repeated over and over. Arya looked up at the fleshless dead in their wet rotting clothes and said her own prayer. Ser Gregor, it went, Dunsen, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei. She ended it with valar morghulis, touched Jaqen's coin where it nestled under her belt, and then reached up and plucked an apple from among the dead men as she rode beneath them. It was mushy and overripe, but she ate it worms and all.

Arya I, Storm 3

"You are," he said, "but the House of Black and White is no place for Arya, of House Stark."

"Please," she said. "I have no place to go."

"Do you fear death?"

She bit her lip. "No."

"Let us see." The priest lowered his cowl. Beneath he had no face; only a yellowed skull with a few scraps of skin still clinging to the cheeks, and a white worm wriggling from one empty eye socket. "Kiss me, child," he croaked, in a voice as dry and husky as a death rattle.

Does he think to scare me? Arya kissed him where his nose should be and plucked the grave worm from his eye to eat it, but it melted like a shadow in her hand.

The yellow skull was melting too, and the kindliest old man that she had ever seen was smiling down at her. "No one has ever tried to eat my worm before," he said. "Are you hungry, child?"

Yes, she thought, but not for food.

Arya I, Feast 6

Martin foreshadows Jon’s problem grasping his sword during the attack by the conspirators in his final POV from ADwD: “Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy.   Somehow he could not get his sword free from its scabbard” [913]. 

In ACoK.  "As he rode, Jon peeled off his gloves to air his burned fingers.  Ugly things.  He remembered suddenly how he used to muss Arya's hair . . . He began to flex his hand, opening and closing the fingers.  If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it might well be the end of him, he knew.  A man needed his sword beyond the Wall" (208).

5 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

The foreshadowing for Jon/Arya/Ghost/Nymeria vs Tyrion/Jaime.

The foreshadowing melds into one another, for instance Sunfyre is definitely Jaime, but he's also the mount a Tyrion parallel rides, so foreshadowing can suit both Jaime or Viserion. Sunfyre losing an eye to Grey Ghost is I think more likely foreshadowing for Tyrion's mount Viserion rather than Jaime, as I speculated previously Viserion would cop an arrow in the eye.

Cregan (Jon or Arya) vs Aemon (Jaime) in a duel, the result not given.

Winter wolves (Jon/Arya) vs Criston Cole (Jaime) in the Butcher's Ball at the Gods Eye. Wolves win, Cole loses and dies.

Baela Targaryen (Arya) on Moondancer (Arya) vs Aegon II (Tyrion) on Sunfyre (Jaime). Moondancer is blinded during the fight. Sunfyre wins but eventually dies of wounds sustained. Moondancer is devoured by Sunfyre. Aegon II wounded but survives, Baela also wounded but survives.

Grey Ghost (Nymeria) vs Sunfyre (Jaime). Riderless fight. Grey Ghost killed and partially devoured by Sunfyre. Initially thought Cannibal's work. Sunfyre loses an eye and other damage.

Daemon (Arya) on Caraxes (Ghost) vs Aemond (Tyrion) on Vhagar. Daemon puts Dark Sister through Aemond's eye, both riders died when everything fell down. Caraxes ripped out Vhagar's throat, Vhagar clawed Caraxes' stomach and bit off a wing. Vhagar died in the fall. Caraxes pulled himself onto the shore and died in front of HH. Battle at the Gods Eye.

Daemon (Arya) vs Criston Cole (Jaime). A tourney melee at Maidenpool. Cole won when he knocked Dark Sister from Daemon's hands with his morning star.

I always thought that Jaime was DaemonT

also:

Petyr Baelish-Larys Strong

Meleys is obviously Melisandre. Her rider, the queen who never was Rhaenys I'm confident is Shireen. Rhaenys body was so blackened (burnt) no-one could be sure it was her. More foreshadowing for the Shireen burning pile.

Meleys was sprung by a trap set by Criston Cole (Jaime), and killed by Aegon II (Tyrion) on Sunfyre (Jaime) and Aemond (Arya) on Vhagar. The dragon's head was dragged through KL. So perhaps Mel's head is going to be taken for a trophy.

To try to make sense of it, perhaps Stannis does not die in the North but comes South during or after the dance, and Jaime and Tyrion defend Tyrion's throne, and Arya, still in Sansa's lap, also helps. Tyrion defeated Stannis and the red god once before, and it goes in line with his Jaeharys 'always defending the faith' foreshadowing. Also some things point to Stannis getting back to Dragonstone, so it would fit in with that.

Arya taking Missandei's face has been a common theory for a long time. And there may be some obvious foreshadowing in this by a simple name.

Mysaria. Missandei + Arya. Swap the I and Y. Called Misery, the White Worm. Add that to the passages quoted above.

"Let us see." The priest lowered his cowl. Beneath he had no face; only a yellowed skull with a few scraps of skin still clinging to the cheeks, and a white worm wriggling from one empty eye socket. "Kiss me, child," he croaked, in a voice as dry and husky as a death rattle.

Does he think to scare me? Arya kissed him where his nose should be and plucked the grave worm from his eye to eat it, but it melted like a shadow in her hand.

She takes the white worm from the face of death, and eats it.

Mysaria was Daemon's (Arya) lover. She was his mistress of whispers (which itself screams at being foreshadowing, because Daemon was not a king and so never should have had any kind of master of whispers, it's something being forced). Mysaria lost her baby to Daemon during travel, she was headed back to Lys having been exiled by Viserys I. She warned queen Rhaenyra the riot of KL was coming.

I think Mysaria is foreshadowing Missandei generally as well as her ultimate demise and take over by Arya.

The way I see this playing out, Missandei is or becomes Dany's master of whispers. She falls pregnant. She loses the baby in a manner that is somehow Dany's fault. Perhaps she loses it in the riot that forces Dany from KL, she sees it as Dany's fault because it will be Dany's bad rule that forces her out and Missandei will have warned her and Dany not taken her advice. But probably before that, as it makes more sense for Arya to take Missandei's face while Missandei is still Dany's Mistress of Whispers.

Anyway, Missandei 'betrays' Dany to Arya, betray in the same manner that Pate betrays Walgrave to the Alchemist, thus earning her 'mercy'. Arya takes her face.

To speculate another way using Pate, as I'm sure that Arya will give Missandei the choice as Pate did. Perhaps Arya becomes her lover or love interest and asks her for something which would prove a betrayal. Pate gave up the key of his master for a dragon to buy Rosie. So perhaps Arya demands the key to the dragon pit. Or, playing on Rosie, perhaps Missandei falls for a rose, Marge, Garlan or Loras, and Arya sells offers Missandei a way to their life, freedom (Dany may want to execute or be imprisoning them as the Tyrells will be Aegon's) or love.

10 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

Martin foreshadows Jon’s problem grasping his sword during the attack by the conspirators in his final POV from ADwD: “Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy.   Somehow he could not get his sword free from its scabbard” [913]. 

In ACoK.  "As he rode, Jon peeled off his gloves to air his burned fingers.  Ugly things.  He remembered suddenly how he used to muss Arya's hair . . . He began to flex his hand, opening and closing the fingers.  If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it might well be the end of him, he knew.  A man needed his sword beyond the Wall" (208).

By my count Jon "flexes" his hand at least 18 times. 

Could be something? Or, it could be the whiskey tinted goggles I tend to wear. I came upon this today during a re-listen.

A Storm of Swords - Jon II

"Wed?" Tormund laughed. "Who spoke of wedding? In the south, must a man wed every girl he beds?"
Jon could feel himself turning red again. "She spoke for me when Rattleshirt would have killed me. I would not dishonor her."
"You are a free man now, and Ygritte is a free woman. What dishonor if you lay together?"

Bolder than the other two, her black dragon had been the first to try his wings above the water, the first to flutter from ship to ship, the first to lose himself in a passing cloud . . . and the first to kill. The flying fish no sooner broke the surface of the water than they were enveloped in a lance of flame, snatched up, and swallowed.

I just noticed that "flying fish" is plural.  I take this scene as potential foreshadowing that Aurane Waters or some other Velaryon with ride a dragon or attempt to... and fail.  (I think I stated this earlier up-thread.)  While "fish" being plural doesn't necessarily disprove the idea of a Velaryon-rider being killed by Drogon, perhaps this scene foreshadows that she/Drogon will kill multiple people of House Velaryon; that is, House Velaryon will be allied against her.

(Side note: Drogon was also the first to kill a person.)

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Could be something? Or, it could be the whiskey tinted goggles I tend to wear. I came upon this today during a re-listen.

A Storm of Swords - Jon II

"Wed?" Tormund laughed. "Who spoke of wedding? In the south, must a man wed every girl he beds?"
Jon could feel himself turning red again. "She spoke for me when Rattleshirt would have killed me. I would not dishonor her."
"You are a free man now, and Ygritte is a free woman. What dishonor if you lay together?"

Oh, I get it. You should post that in the RLJ thread. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh, I get it. You should post that in the RLJ thread. 

Maybe. I have plenty of wacky tobacky ideas running through my head at any given moment that I don't know if I want to join that thread as well. I don't even know if it's plausible as a foreshadow/hint thingy.

It could just be the way Dotrice reads?!?! The man can melt butter with his voice.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Maybe. I have plenty of wacky tobacky ideas running through my head at any given moment that I don't know if I want to join that thread as well. I don't even know if it's plausible as a foreshadow/hint thingy.

It could just be the way Dotrice reads?!?! The man can melt butter with his voice.

I think it's a pretty good hint. Excellent catch. Now pass the wacky tobacky. 

On 4/12/2016 at 10:07 AM, Isobel Harper said:

<snip>

<snip>

When Dany lays the eggs on Drogo's funeral pyre, the order is the same: Drogon's egg under Drogo's arm, Rhaegal's egg next to his head, and Viserion's between his legs.

So we have Drogon first, Rhaegal second, and Viserion third.  There is another figure associated with three heads: The three-headed Trios in Braavos.

The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do.

Drogon (symbolically) devours the dying.  Daenerys, so far, is the most militant of all the Targaryen.  (Ref: attack on Slaver's Bay.)  Drogon was also the first to kill a person.

Viserion has some symbolism of procreation associated with him (or her?). 

The cream-and-gold I call Viserion. Viserys was cruel and weak and frightened, yet he was my brother still. His dragon will do what he could not.

One deed that Viserys left undone was to have his own children.  Perhaps Viserion is the dragon to continue the line/lay dragon eggs?  Or perhaps Viserion's rider is the "Targaryen" (The third head won't necessarily be a Targaryen, per GRRM) that continues the Targaryen line?

The white dragon lay coiled around a pear tree, his head resting on his tail.

Here, with his/her head resting on the tail, Viserion's body is in a circle, a sign of continuance.  Pears symbolize sexual experience and/or fruit of such a union.

What is the purpose of Rhaegal and his rider?  Well, so far, that's a mystery.

Archived