Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

Jaime's rage kept him walking. The linen that covered the stump was grey and stinking with pus. His phantom fingers screamed with every step. I am stronger than they know, he told himself. I am still a Lannister. I am still a knight of the Kingsguard. He would reach Harrenhal, and then King's Landing. He would live. And I will pay this debt with interest.

Jaime IV, Storm 31

Some Brave Companions had gathered in the yard to watch them leave. Jaime trotted over to where they stood. "Zollo. How kind of you to see me off. Pyg. Timeon. Will you miss me? No last jest to share, Shagwell? To lighten my way down the road? And Rorge, did you come to kiss me goodbye?"

"Bugger off, cripple," said Rorge.

"If you insist. Rest assured, though, I will be back. A Lannister always pays his debts."

Jaime VI, Storm 44

"If any of Hoat's Brave Companions fall into your hands, send word to me at once." The Stranger might have made off with the Goat before Jaime could get around to him, but fat Zollo was still out there, with Shagwell, Rorge, Faithful Urswyck, and the rest.

Jaime III, Feast 27

Pyg, Timeon, Shagwell, and Rorge were killed by Brienne, but. . .

“Urswyck and his lot rode south for Oldtown.”

Brienne IV, Feast 20

And...

"Your father was a good man," Lord Beric said. "Harwin has told me much of him. For his sake, I would gladly forgo your ransom, but we need the gold too desperately."

She chewed her lip. That's true, I guess. He had given the Hound's gold to Greenbeard and the Huntsman to buy provisions south of the Mander, she knew.

Arya VII, Storm 39

Has Greenbeard already killed Zollo and Urswyck? Will Brienne finish avenging Jaime? Or will Jaime complete his own vengeance?

35 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

^^Why are they searching for supplies below the Mander?  Wouldn't they have to go through, not one, but two enemy territories (The Reach and The Westerlands - both Tyrell and Lannister are hunting the BwB down) in order to get supplies?

They would not have to cross the Westerlands to travel from the Riverlands to the Reach. The Riverlands were devastated. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

They would not have to cross the Westerlands to travel from the Riverlands to the Reach. The Riverlands were devastated. 

Looked it up on a map.  You're right.  I was thinking that the Westerlands and the Crownlands shared a border somewhere.  Still, it'd seem that going to the Vale or even the North - who would likely be more sympathetic to them - would be a better option. 

By they way, The Reach is way bigger than I realized.  Or is this map just disproportionate?

16 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Looked it up on a map.  You're right.  I was thinking that the Westerlands and the Crownlands shared a border somewhere.  Still, it'd seem that going to the Vale or even the North - who would likely be more sympathetic to them - would be a better option. 

By they way, The Reach is way bigger than I realized.  Or is this map just disproportionate?

The map you linked to seems a bit off. In any event, if you and I ever go for a ride or a walk about, I'll navigate ;)

Aegon III is a pretty comfortable Stannis parallel (and I believe SR too). Traumatised by seeing his mother die, as Stannis was by seeing his parent's boat sink. Brooding, cold and melancholy. Short facial hair, never smiled. He died of consumption, not foreshadowing Stannis' death I think but more a nod to how Stannis and his army are faring presently. Disliked being touched, even by his wife. His dragon's name Stormcloud associates with the Stormlands and the storm which killed Stannis' parents.

A few easy things to take from this.

At the urging of his brother, Prince Viserys, Aegon obtained dragon eggs and brought nine mages across from the narrow sea to attempt to hatch the remaining cache of eggs, this debacle ended in failure.

Melisandre a mage from across the narrow sea is trying to wake dragons, urging Stannis to sacrifice. This probably points to Stannis eventually giving in to Mel, and sacrificing to try and wake a dragon, which will end in failure.

Daeron the Young Dragon foreshadows Jon. Dareon succeeded Aegon III, as I think it's apparent Jon is going to succeed Stannis, not officially but generally as the leader in the North. Dareon kept on Aegon III's hand, Prince Viserys, which is foreshadowing for Davos being Jon's hand.

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Aegon III is a pretty comfortable Stannis parallel (and I believe SR too). Traumatised by seeing his mother die, as Stannis was by seeing his parent's boat sink. Brooding, cold and melancholy. Short facial hair, never smiled. He died of consumption, not foreshadowing Stannis' death I think but more a nod to how Stannis and his army are faring presently. Disliked being touched, even by his wife. His dragon's name Stormcloud associates with the Stormlands and the storm which killed Stannis' parents.

A few easy things to take from this.

Melisandre a mage from across the narrow sea is trying to wake dragons, urging Stannis to sacrifice. This probably points to Stannis eventually giving in to Mel, and sacrificing to try and wake a dragon, which will end in failure.

Daeron the Young Dragon foreshadows Jon. Dareon succeeded Aegon III, as I think it's apparent Jon is going to succeed Stannis, not officially but generally as the leader in the North. Dareon kept on Aegon III's hand, Prince Viserys, which is foreshadowing for Davos being Jon's hand.

The young dragon died before he married or had issue. Who will be Jon's succesor?

Jon won't need to marry and won't need a heir. He'll be King in the North and once he forces the IT to his terms and seals it with marrying Arya to it he doesn't need to be KITN anymore. He can do as Torren did and give up the northern crown and kneel to the IT, thus consolidating the realm. Pact of Ice and Fire. A princess of the North marries the IT, the IT helps defend the realm from the threat in the north, the King in the North kneels to the IT and the Riverlands and North join the wider realm once again. Everyone's problem solved, he just has to kick ass all the way to KL to have his Hour of the Wolf to make it happen.

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Jon won't need to marry and won't need a heir. He'll be King in the North and once he forces the IT to his terms and seals it with marrying Arya to it he doesn't need to be KITN anymore. He can do as Torren did and give up the northern crown and kneel to the IT, thus consolidating the realm. Pact of Ice and Fire. A princess of the North marries the IT, the IT helps defend the realm from the threat in the north, the King in the North kneels to the IT and the Riverlands and North join the wider realm once again. Everyone's problem solved, he just has to kick ass all the way to KL to have his Hour of the Wolf to make it happen.

who will be the king on the iron throne?

Tyrion will be the king he marches on, Robert Arryn will be Tyrion's heir. The foreshadowing says Tyrion will die at some point, poisoned in KL, and the mess that ensues (people won't know if they should crown SR or what) will be what Jon has to clean up in his Hour of the Wolf. Finding and punishing who killed Tyrion (Jaime will take the blame though it will probably be Sansa or Arya who did it) and deciding who to crown, setting the realm to rights so he can get out of there and go back north to do his real job.

Spoiler

So I had this theory

on what will happen with Asha in the north. Basically, KITN Jon gives Asha Sea Dragon Point for consenting to marry Massey, and Jon gets the sellswords Massey brings back.

The history of House Bar Emmon of Sharp Point seems to back me up on this, and adds to it that either Asha, Theon or Massey will be on Jon's 'black' council. But, it also seems to throw a spanner in the works by the name of Qarlton, obviously a parallel for Asha's lover Quarl.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Bar_Emmon

Qarlton defeats Josua Massey, Togarion drives him off. Togarion is either/or Theon and Jon in this. So ... Theon or Jon drive Qarl away from Asha? Perhaps Qarl defeating Justin Massey isn't about a sword fight or anything, but rather a fight for her heart, and Jon/Theon win the day for Justin, Convincing Asha to marry him and cut Qarl loose by offering her Sea Dragon Point if she takes Justin. Or maybe Theon wins Justin the day by simply ordering Asha to marry Justin as Theon is her liege lord.

Spoiler

“Any child of ours would be baseborn. Only a trueborn child of House Arryn can displace Ser Harrold as your heir. My father will find a proper wife for you, some highborn girl much prettier than me. You’ll hunt and hawk together, and she’ll give you her favor to wear in tournaments. Before long, you will have forgotten me entirely.”

A joke as much as foreshadowing. It won't be LF that arranges SR's marriage, it will be Sansa herself, and it will be to Arya.

“And now the lords Bran glimpsed were tall and hard, stern men in fur and chain mail.  Some wore faces he remembered from the statues in the crypts, but they t were gone before he could put a name to them” [ADwD 460].

·       Martin has made mention of Arya several times thus far, and now Martin’s descriptive language evocates Arya and her present role as a faceless assassin.

·       The lords are costumed in fur and mail, and “SOME WORE FACES” – methinks the author is alluding to the Faceless Men of Braavos by employing strategic language.

·       Furthermore, the stern men disappear “before he [Bran] could put a name to them”.

·       Arya trains as no one who must deny her own name to wear faces of others in her position if acolyte serving Him-of-Many-Faces.

·       The wording is too pat, too marked, too deliberate to be a mere coincidence.  Martin wants readers to connect Arya with Bran, with water, and with identity.

·       Martin’s metaphoric implementations import much and more.  The language is as deep as the roots of trees, weighing heavily with symbolic meanings.

·       Perhaps Martin’s words in Bran’s vision foretell of a future alliance between Bran and Arya.  She may use her assassin training and her association with water to assist her brother “for the realms of men”.

1 hour ago, evita mgfs said:

·       The wording is too pat, too marked, too deliberate to be a mere coincidence.  Martin wants readers to connect Arya with Bran, with water, and with identity.

·       Perhaps Martin’s words in Bran’s vision foretell of a future alliance between Bran and Arya.  She may use her assassin training and her association with water to assist her brother “for the realms of men”.

What is the allusion to water?

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Good. 

There's this just before the last quote, in the same chapter...

Rhaegal hissed and dug sharp black claws into her bare shoulder as Dany stretched out a hand for the wine.  Wincing, she shifted him to her other shoulder, where he could claw her gown instead of her skin.  She was garbed in the Qartheen fashion.  Xaro had warned her that the Enthroned would never listen to a Dothraki, so she had taken care to go before them in flowing green samite with one breast bared, silvered sandals on her feet, with a belt of black-and-white pearls about her waist. 

I would be more convinced of the fate of her Hand if we knew with which hand she was stroking him.  So I'm trying to figure our which breast was left bare.  I couldn't find anything on my own so I hope you don't mind if I ask you.  In the Qartheen fashion is it either breast or only one in particular?

9 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

There's this just before the last quote, in the same chapter...

I would be more convinced of the fate of her Hand if we knew with which hand she was stroking him.  So I'm trying to figure our which breast was left bare.  I couldn't find anything on my own so I hope you don't mind if I ask you.  In the Qartheen fashion is it either breast or only one in particular?

I don't know. Try small questions. 

She had chosen a Qartheen gown today. The deep violet silk brought out the purple of her eyes. The cut of it bared her left breast.(ASoS,Ch.27 Daenerys III)

Every time Qartheen fashion is mentioned, its the left breast. Don't know why, though.

Generally, as far as George is concerned, the left breast is the right breast. When a specific female breast is bared, groped or gawked at, it is the left breast.

The right breast is where Oberyn Martell's spear clashed with Gregor's mail, where Tyrell armsmen and servants wear their golden rose.  The only  mention of a woman's right breast, that I can see, is Lord Jano's Hildy, who covers her crutch and her left breast, and then takes the hand from her crutch to cover her right breast. Large dark nips, of course. Gratuitously viewed by Jaime.

Archived