Why did Ramsay

Ramsey is short sighted, Roose is the one who knows how to play the long game. Sort of like the season 1 Jaime-Tywin relationship but much crueller.

I could be wrong but didn't they sack Winterfell to blame it on Theon and the Ironborn? They killed everyone except Theon so nobody could refute the story. Most people only knew Theon took Winterfell and then heard nothing after that until news got out that Winterfell was sacked and burned. I think there was also enmity between Stark and Bolton for a while as Ned wholeheartedly opposed and banned flaying, which is obviously a pretty big thing for the Boltons.

I think tactically it also made sense because it made the North look ripe for the taking (Rob was off to war) so even if the Boltons hadn't made a deal with Tywin yet, they would have been one of the only Northern houses to be willing to step in and say "we can take Winterfell/the North for you now that it's weak."

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2016 at 9:18 PM, Mat92 said:

Ramsey is short sighted, Roose is the one who knows how to play the long game. Sort of like the season 1 Jaime-Tywin relationship but much crueller.

I could be wrong but didn't they sack Winterfell to blame it on Theon and the Ironborn? They killed everyone except Theon so nobody could refute the story. Most people only knew Theon took Winterfell and then heard nothing after that until news got out that Winterfell was sacked and burned. I think there was also enmity between Stark and Bolton for a while as Ned wholeheartedly opposed and banned flaying, which is obviously a pretty big thing for the Boltons.

I think tactically it also made sense because it made the North look ripe for the taking (Rob was off to war) so even if the Boltons hadn't made a deal with Tywin yet, they would have been one of the only Northern houses to be willing to step in and say "we can take Winterfell/the North for you now that it's weak."

I would say that s1/AGOT Jaime-Tywin relationship isn't even close to the cruelty and emotional abuse Roose puts Ramsay through, especially about his mother and all. It's hard enough being a bastard; but a rape baby bastard? C'mon, that's just a kick in the balls. Also, they do sack Winterfell and blame it all on Theon + Ironborn. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think he burnt it to the ground as it adds to the confusion of what precisely happened there.  At this point the blame is fully on the Greyjoys (Theon).

As there were survivors from the slaughter of Rodriks host I am surprised a raven didn't make it to Riverrun telling of the events.

Or maybe I just try and pick holes in things so that Robb could turn on Bolton.

Spoiler

I never understood why Bran or Rickon didn't make for White Harbour, instead choosing the 3 eyed Raven. Sure he wants to believe in magic yeah yeah yeah etc. Bran considers it but isn't sure if there's a risk from the Dreadfort, the direction he's heading in is actually more of a risk as they are closer to the Dreadfort. 

On 6-3-2016 at 3:02 AM, Arya, Queen of the North said:

Burn Winterfell to the ground? I understand that he wants land and power but how does burning Winterfell accomplish that? Is it explained in the next book, or is there something I'm missing?

Ramsay routed and attacked the WF forces and allies that intended to retake WF. He can't leave any witnesses to that. He's also the one who gave Theon the idea to kill the miller's boys to make it look as if Bran and Rickon are dead. Obviously Ramsay is trying to hurt the Stark position of power in the North: Robb's heirs dead, the WF army and that of allies decimated, and he has the easiest scapegoat at hand for it: the Ironborn and Theon. He can't leave witnesses to identify him as having been the captured Reek, or even that he attacked Rodrik Cassel's forces from the rear with 600 Bolton men-at-arms. So he must kill most of the hosuehold of WF (he can't imprison them all, can he). And you can't do that while leaving WF looking all pristine, especially if you wish to make it look like it were the Ironborn doing it. So, torch the place and nobody is any the wiser. 

Archived