Beards

A True Kaniggit

45 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Lol to this, but I agree. The beard thing has become a way for men to regain their masculinity and try to appear macho and strong.

Ever considered that someone might want to grow a beard because they want a beard, like the look, and aren't trying to pretend to be macho lumberjacks or something?

8 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Nope.

What about just being too lazy to shave it? I honestly don't give a shit about masculinity. You learn that way when you get through school with longish hair and a name like mine. I got through it a lot easier than I might have thanks to sports, being a sprinter and on the rugby team. Amazing how some idiots respect you more for being good at sports.

I pretty much always have a beard but for a few weeks each year since being a teenager. It's not the best but working at it has gradually made it vaguely acceptable. Annoys the hell out of me when it gets warm so I tend to get rid of it for the few measly weeks of summer (which would generally be considered a good year!) we get here in the North*ish* of England.

On 31.03.2016 at 1:10 PM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Ever considered that someone might want to grow a beard because they want a beard, like the look, and aren't trying to pretend to be macho lumberjacks or something?

I agree with you, that really depends on the person's tastes about appearance ;) I like guys with beards who simply choose smth that fits them, like on these good photos, it just looks cool ^_^ And I think it's really funny and stupid to make from beard smth more than an element of your individual style, suppose it's just a funny stereotype that all guys with beards are machos too :lol:
Besides not all types of them look so masculine in fact :)

19 hours ago, Knute said:

Actually a lot of people with beards nowadays look quite feminine in both the way they dress as well as their features (light eyes etc)

Perhaps there's some problem in translation between Norwegian and English, but I wonder why you think "light eyes" are "quite feminine features" when blue eyes (the lightest color of eye) are actually more common among men than women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23601698

41 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Perhaps there's some problem in translation between Norwegian and English, but I wonder why you think "light eyes" are "quite feminine features" when blue eyes (the lightest color of eye) are actually more common among men than women.

Interesting! I never knew that (my own family fits with that - I have blue eyes, and my sister has hazel eyes).

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

I am not talking about the statistics of eye colour among genders. Iæm speaking about how they appear and people with lighter eyes tend to look more feminine than people with a lot darker eyes.

Also, nothing was lost in translation, I have no idea why you would say that; seems pretty off and rude to me.

9 minutes ago, Knute said:

I am not talking about the statistics of eye colour among genders. Iæm speaking about how they appear and people with lighter eyes tend to look more feminine than people with a lot darker eyes.

Also, nothing was lost in translation, I have no idea why you would say that; seems pretty off and rude to me.

I am sorry that you think that was rude. That was not my intention and I have no idea why you would think so. It seems perfectly reasonable for me as a person who does not know Norwegian to think that a literal translation of  "light eyes" from English into Norwegian might possibly refer to something besides color. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I am sorry that you think that was rude. That was not my intention and I have no idea why you would think so. It seems perfectly reasonable for me as a person who does not know Norwegian to think that a literal translation of  "light eyes" from English into Norwegian might possibly refer to something besides color. 

You dont translate things when you re fluent in both languages, therefore its irrelevant what light eyes would mean in Norwegian. That being said light eyes means Blue + Green (most shades) and Darker is Brown and Black. Lighter eyes look more feminine to me, it's nothing to do with statistics.

6 minutes ago, Knute said:

You dont translate things when you re fluent in both languages, therefore its irrelevant what light eyes would mean in Norwegian. That being said light eyes means Blue + Green (most shades) and Darker is Brown and Black. Lighter eyes look more feminine to me, it's nothing to do with statistics.

And as someone who has never read a post by you before, how am I supposed to know that you are fluent in both languages from reading one sentence? 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

And as someone who has never read a post by you before, how am I supposed to know that you are fluent in both languages from reading one sentence? 

Since you seem to be so interested in statistics then you would know that by searching the English fluency of the majority of Norwegians in comparison to other countries. It's pretty impractical in most situations to even bother trying to translate from one language in to another, as the person you are talking to will want a straight ahead answer. The only people I know who translate their sentences in their head are early learners.

On April 6, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Knute said:

Actually a lot of people with beards nowadays look quite feminine in both the way they dress as well as their features (light eyes etc)

I have not noticed this.  Is it a regional phenomenon, perhaps? What sort of clothes are they wearing that they are appearing feminine to you?

5 hours ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

I have not noticed this.  Is it a regional phenomenon, perhaps? What sort of clothes are they wearing that they are appearing feminine to you?

In her defense when despite a beard I am lounging looking disinterested in love and the world in my sequined black strapless cocktail dress just showing enough of my tattooed and hairy muscled legs I look just feminine enough to cause many questions to be asked concerning the viewer's desires. 

I consider myself quite attractive, but I have a slightly weak jaw that I've always hated and I therefore always keep a fair amount of stubble to give definition to it. Problem is, it itches. I've went about with full beards and moustaches on a number of occasions. It has always itched so badly I've been forced to shave it off.

2 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Seriously, how the fuck does eye color become some gendered marker now? What about hair color, or skin tone? 

I have a hard time be living this is really a thing

I don't know if you're referring to my comment on how lighter eyes appear more feminine? If so then I said they appear more feminine to me, as browner eyes look more masculine to me... and no this is not because I have brown eyes, I have blonde hair and light green eyes.

5 hours ago, The Killer Snark said:

I consider myself quite attractive, but I have a slightly weak jaw that I've always hated and I therefore always keep a fair amount of stubble to give definition to it. Problem is, it itches. I've went about with full beards and moustaches on a number of occasions. It has always itched so badly I've been forced to shave it off.

I definitely feel like beards are better instead of clean shaven for people with weaker jawlines, especially ones that are groomed well and look sharp. If you have a strong jawline I don't see a reason why you'd want to hide it under a beard.

1 hour ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Seriously, how the fuck does eye color become some gendered marker now? What about hair color, or skin tone? 

I have a hard time be living this is really a thing

Don't women usually have lighter hair though?

Also, second real attempt at a short beard, just out curiosity... will probably end up with another ghostly flesh beard, but eh, who am I trying to impress?

5 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

In her defense when despite a beard I am lounging looking disinterested in love and the world in my sequined black strapless cocktail dress just showing enough of my tattooed and hairy muscled legs I look just feminine enough to cause many questions to be asked concerning the viewer's desires. 

Funny. I was picturing bearded you more with a parasol and lacy petticoats, gently rocking on a porch swing and sipping a mint julep.

Archived