Happy Birthday Connor MacLeod

Greywolf2375

Well, really The Highlander - turns 30 today!  And just like the Immortals, it hasn't aged any worse than Christopher Lambert did between the original and the sequel.  (it's ok in this safe place to talk about the sequel, sometimes the biggest step is admitting there is a problem)  One of my absolute favorite movies - action, comedy, some romance.  While I do love watching this one I would love to see it rebooted now that they know the story is one that can carry forward - don't have to come up with some stupid bystory to make a series out of it or retcon how some were knocked out for several hundred years so the overpowering source of all power didn't know they were still around...

David Bautista has signed on the play the Kurgan, no one yet for Connor but with all of the reboots and redos of the 80s movies that are happening (Christ, ROADHOUSE is being remade....and Rhonda Rousey is the new cooler)

Surely Idris Elba has to feature in it somewhere? He'd make a great immortal.

Connor is trickier - I'd like a genuine Scottish person to get the role (but also see the logic in making the immortals seem different by casting actors who aren't from the place the immortal was born). Imagine the confusion if the guy from "Outlander" got the part?

I think Sean Bean has clocked up enough non-sharpe deaths now to be able to get the part of an immortal. Added fun that the only way to kill him is Ned-style.

OK, when I saw the thread title my first thought of the actual birthday of the character, 1500s?, and was going to congratulate the OP for this knowledge. :P

As to the casting, I agree with red snow on casting Elba and Bean. And I do prefer a Scottish actor for the main role. I'm sure with Bautista playing the Kurgan, they could cast Richard Madden to really have a difference in size. Though I would appreciate a taller actor who would have to do a little jump to decapitate his opponents.:P 

Of course, knowing Hollywood, they'll cast Vin Diesel as Connor.

To be honest, I think Bean has been pretty weak recently. The Martian, Jupiter Ascending, his acting was pretty poor in both. I wouldn't be tapping him on the shoulder anytime soon.

This is one of the old action movies that has held up really well. But given a lot of recent remakes (Robocop, Total Recall, Conan, etc) I don't exactly have a lot of faith in a remake. Whereas some of the recent reboots have been much more successful (Mad Max and Star Wars).

Bautista as the Kurgan? Yuck. We already had the perfect big meathead in the original and they won't find someone to one up Clancy Brown's Kurgan. Would be interesting to see them trying a different direction, say someone like Gerard Butler for that role.

Mentor that gets killed off within an hour? Get Sean Bean or Liam Neeson on the phone. John Hurt is probably too old for the role anyway.

Connor's actor is trickier, but knowing these Hollywood remakes my money will be on Colin Farrell, a Hemsworth brother or Nicolas Cage.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Surely Idris Elba has to feature in it somewhere? He'd make a great immortal.

Connor is trickier - I'd like a genuine Scottish person to get the role (but also see the logic in making the immortals seem different by casting actors who aren't from the place the immortal was born). Imagine the confusion if the guy from "Outlander" got the part?

I think Sean Bean has clocked up enough non-sharpe deaths now to be able to get the part of an immortal. Added fun that the only way to kill him is Ned-style.

How about James McAvoy?

32 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

How about James McAvoy?

It'd be interesting for them not to go with someone who looks tough (although he can channel scottish insanity which can make up for it).

1 hour ago, dooog said:

Connor's actor is trickier, but knowing these Hollywood remakes my money will be on Colin Farrell, a Hemsworth brother or Nicolas Cage.

It does feel like Farrell is destined for the role given his tendency to appear in bad remakes.

5 hours ago, ants said:

To be honest, I think Bean has been pretty weak recently. The Martian, Jupiter Ascending, his acting was pretty poor in both. I wouldn't be tapping him on the shoulder anytime soon.

This is one of the old action movies that has held up really well. But given a lot of recent remakes (Robocop, Total Recall, Conan, etc) I don't exactly have a lot of faith in a remake. Whereas some of the recent reboots have been much more successful (Mad Max and Star Wars).

I think most actors are allowed a pass for Jupiter Ascending (otherwise Redmaybe would be barred from Oscar nominations) and Bean's role in The Martian was fine albeit it a dull role.

I thought Robocop fits in the middle of the remake scale as it had some interesting ideas. I think what's interesting with the standouts is that one was made by the original creator and the other was made by someone who loved the original (plus TFA isn't a remake). There must be young directors out there who love Highlander and know that sequels were never made. That should be part of the interview "what did you think about the Highlander films?" and the answer should be "I thought there was only one"

Tom Hardy is apparently a favourite but I guess that is because of Mad Max in much the same everything currently wants to be R rated because of Deadpool. Tom Hardy again would make a good immortal (he'd make a great Kurgan with his love of living in pits and penchant for mumbling) but not sure he'd work as Connor. If they were going for appearance Thomas Jane would fit perfectly as a Lambert replacement.

Highlander's original director is still working, maybe they could ask him? Although he directed the sequel too so maybe not.

On ‎8‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:24 PM, red snow said:

I think most actors are allowed a pass for Jupiter Ascending (otherwise Redmaybe would be barred from Oscar nominations) and Bean's role in The Martian was fine albeit it a dull role......

Sorry, but Redmayne shows the rule. He was so far above anyone else in that film it wasn't funny. Sure, the character was clichéd but you still wanted the camera watching him.

As to who should play Connor - I would go Jason Clarke.

33 minutes ago, ants said:

Sorry, but Redmayne shows the rule. He was so far above anyone else in that film it wasn't funny. Sure, the character was clichéd but you still wanted the camera watching him.

As to who should play Connor - I would go Jason Clarke.

I guess if i looked at it through the prism of "you have to be talented to stand out that badly" then he was superior. I mean he at least said "fuck, it" and went all in with OTT badness rather than can't be arsed. I'm sure it was therapeutic for him given his other roles tend to be more serious.

Jason Clarke could work he's one of those actors who seems to be working his way up slowly but surely and a well executed Highlander film could help him up.

I thought he had good presence in Terminator Genisys (and in other, very small roles like Zero Dark Thirty). He's probably "cheap" enough that it would be a win for the studio, he could use a leading signature role, and he appears to have the acting chops to pull it off. He can also be a bit dour - which is perfect for Connor!

2 hours ago, ants said:

I thought he had good presence in Terminator Genisys (and in other, very small roles like Zero Dark Thirty). He's probably "cheap" enough that it would be a win for the studio, he could use a leading signature role, and he appears to have the acting chops to pull it off. He can also be a bit dour - which is perfect for Connor!

Yes, but another Aussie? ;)

Archived