Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

Isobel Harper

On 8/3/2016 at 5:56 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oberyn poisoned Tywin. This passage seals the deal for me...

Joffrey brought Widow's Wail down in a savage twohanded slice, onto the book that Tyrion had given him.

"I once had the great good fortune to see the Citadel's copy of Lives of Four Kings," Prince Oberyn was telling her lord husband. "The illuminations were wondrous to behold, but Kaeth was too kind by half to King Viserys."

Tyrion gave him a sharp look. "Too kind? He scants Viserys shamefully, in my view. It should have been Lives of Five Kings."

The prince laughed. "Viserys hardly reigned a fortnight."

"He reigned more than a year," said Tyrion.

Oberyn gave a shrug. "A year or a fortnight, what does it matter? He poisoned his own nephew to gain the throne and then did nothing once he had it."

"Baelor starved himself to death, fasting," said Tyrion. "His uncle served him loyally as Hand, as he had served the Young Dragon before him. Viserys might only have reigned a year, but he ruled for fifteen, while Daeron warred and Baelor prayed." He made a sour face. "And if he did remove his nephew, can you blame him? Someone had to save the realm from Baelor's follies."

Sansa was shocked. "But Baelor the Blessed was a great king. He walked the Boneway barefoot to make peace with Dorne, and rescued the Dragonknight from a snakepit. The vipers refused to strike him because he was so pure and holy."

Prince Oberyn smiled. "If you were a viper, my lady, would you want to bite a bloodless stick like Baelor the Blessed? I'd sooner save my fangs for someone juicier . . . "

Sansa IV, Storm 59

After Oberyn observes Joffrey abuse Tyrion, the Red Viper oh so subtly suggests that Tyrion should poison his nephew, just as some believe Viserys II poisoned his nephew Baelor I. Then, Oberyn suggests that he would rather poison someone juicier--Tywin. 

And we have this...

Lord Tywin's face was so dark that for half a heartbeat Tyrion wondered if he'd drunk some poisoned wine as well.

Tyrion X, Storm 70

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And we have this...

Tyrion X, Storm 70

I have believed this for awhile. Makes you wonder if or why Varys used Tyrion to cover it up by goading Tyrion up to Tywin's chamber during the escape.

19 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Why would Barristan know something that needed to be kept a secret and would have occurred before he ever became a Kingsguard, with the two people it concerned having died before Barristan ever became a Kingsguard (and perhaps, before Barristan lived at court)?

It's not entirely impossible, but I'd sooner think that Barristan is generalizing here, and that Daeron and Jeremy were in a relationship that they considered a marriage, despite the fact that they weren't married. Would there have been a septon willing to perform such a ceremony?

Septons performed incestuous marriages for Targaryens despite thinking incest is an abomination.  Tyrion found a septon to wed him and Tysha.  So I think it's possible Daeron and Jeremy could have found a septon willing to perform the ceremony.  And if they couldn't find septon maybe they had a Valyrian ceremony or turned to the old gods.  They wouldn't be the only ASOIAF characters to become converts or to partake in a religious ceremony outside of their faith. 

Please accept my apologies for not responding to the first part of the post, I had something typed out but realized I wasn't really getting what I wanted to say across, so maybe I'll get it right another time.     

Tyrion propped himself against the pillows, his head in his hands. “Do I dream, or do you speak the Common Tongue?”
“Yes, my lord. I was bought to please the king.” She was blue-eyed and fair, young and willowy.

...“Magister Illyrio said that I am to scrub your back and warm your bed. My name—”
“—is of no interest to me. Do you know where whores go?”
(ADwD,Ch.01 Tyrion I)

Doreah a fair-haired, blue-eyed Lysene girl. “These are no common servants, sweet sister,” her brother told her ...“Doreah will instruct you in the womanly arts of love.” He smiled thinly. “She’s very good, Illyrio and I can both swear to that.” (AGoT, Ch.11 Daenerys II)

Doreah a faceless man? Back from the dead? A twin? How many Lysene bedslaves did Viserys and Illyrio interview before they decided to give Doreah the gig?

I

This...

“And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son."

Tyrion XI, Storm 77

And this...

"Lord Tywin was sitting on a privy, so I put a crossbow bolt through his bowels to see if he really did shit gold. He didn't. A pity, I could have used some gold. I also slew my mother, somewhat earlier. Oh, and my nephew Joffrey, I poisoned him at his wedding feast and watched him choke to death."

Tyrion III, Dance 8

And this...

“Men will tell you that I am a kingslayer, a kinslayer, and a liar, and all of that is true …”

Tyrion V, Dance 18

And this...

“Call me kinslayer, and you won't be wrong. Kingslayer, I'll answer to that one as well.”

Tyrion VIII, Dance 33

Are because of this...

He almost wished he had done it, since it seemed he must suffer for it anyway.

Tyrion X, Storm 70

II

Ser Kevan did not visit him that night. He was probably with Lord Tywin, trying to placate the Tyrells. I have seen the last of that uncle, I fear.

Tyrion X, Storm 70

So true. Poor Kevan.

III

I wonder whether this might be a hint at what Petyr has in mind for Sansa...

"You will have no cause for complaint. Though Ser Gregor may. However thick his plate, there will be gaps at the joints. Inside the elbow and knee, beneath the arms . . . I will find a place to tickle him, I promise you." He set the spear aside. "It is said that a Lannister always pays his debts. Perhaps you will return to Sunspear with me when the day's bloodletting is done. My brother Doran would be most pleased to meet the rightful heir to Casterly Rock . . . especially if he brought his lovely wife, the Lady of Winterfell."

Does the snake think I have Sansa squirreled away somewhere, like a nut I'm hoarding for winter? If so, Tyrion was not about to disabuse him. "A trip to Dorne might be very pleasant, now that I reflect on it."

Tyrion X, Storm 70

IV

"Well, Prince Rhaegar married Elia of Dorne, not Cersei Lannister of Casterly Rock. So it would seem your mother won that tilt."

"She thought so," Prince Oberyn agreed, "but your father is not a man to forget such slights. He taught that lesson to Lord and Lady Tarbeck once, and to the Reynes of Castamere. And at King's Landing, he taught it to my sister.”

Tyrion X, Storm 70

Hmm... Tywin denied ordering Gregor to rape Elia, but he did not deny ordering Gregor to kill her, did he?

"I grant you, it was done too brutally. Elia need not have been harmed at all, that was sheer folly. By herself she was nothing."

"Then why did the Mountain kill her?"

"Because I did not tell him to spare her. I doubt I mentioned her at all. I had more pressing concerns. Ned Stark's van was rushing south from the Trident, and I feared it might come to swords between us. And it was in Aerys to murder Jaime, with no more cause than spite. That was the thing I feared most. That, and what Jaime himself might do." He closed a fist. "Nor did I yet grasp what I had in Gregor Clegane, only that he was huge and terrible in battle. The rape . . . even you will not accuse me of giving that command, I would hope. Ser Amory was almost as bestial with Rhaenys. I asked him afterward why it had required half a hundred thrusts to kill a girl of . . . two? Three? He said she'd kicked him and would not stop screaming. If Lorch had half the wits the gods gave a turnip, he would have calmed her with a few sweet words and used a soft silk pillow." His mouth twisted in distaste. "The blood was in him."

Tyrion VI, Storm 53

It is interesting how time can change people's opinions.

Here is Jaime on the Hand of the King in Game of Thrones:

"We ought to count ourselves fortunate," the man said. "The king might as easily have named one of his brothers, or even Littlefinger, gods help us. Give me honorable enemies rather than ambitious ones, and I'll sleep more easily by night."

By a Feast for Crows he has a quite different view of Littlefinger:

If Cersei can be put aside, Ser Kevan may agree to serve as Tommen's Hand. And if not, well, the Seven Kingdoms did not lack for able men. Forley Prester would make a good choice, or Roland Crakehall. If someone other than a westerman was needed to appease the Tyrells, there was always Mathis Rowan . . . or even Petyr Baelish. Littlefinger was as amiable as he was clever, but too lowborn to threaten any of the great lords, with no swords of his own. The perfect Hand.

Two things...

I

Compare this...

Her audience chamber was on the level below, an echoing high-ceilinged room with walls of purple marble. It was a chilly place for all its grandeur. There had been a throne there, a fantastic thing of carved and gilded wood in the shape of a savage harpy. She had taken one long look and commanded it be broken up for firewood. "I will not sit in the harpy's lap," she told them. Instead she sat upon a simple ebony bench. It served, though she had heard the Meereenese muttering that it did not befit a queen.

Daenerys VI, Storm 71

To this...

Snow still chose to dwell behind the armory, in a pair of modest rooms previously occupied by the Watch's late blacksmith. Perhaps he did not think himself worthy of the King's Tower, or perhaps he did not care. That was his mistake, the false humility of youth that is itself a sort of pride. It was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.

Melisandre, Dance 31

II

"These Yunkish dogs cannot be trusted, Your Worship. Even now they plot against you. New levies have been raised and can be seen drilling outside the city walls, warships are being built, envoys have been sent to New Ghis and Volantis in the west, to make alliances and hire sellswords. They have even dispatched riders to Vaes Dothrak to bring a khalasar down upon you. Great Cleon bid me tell you not to be afraid. Astapor remembers. Astapor will not forsake you. To prove his faith, Great Cleon offers to seal your alliance with a marriage."

Daenerys VI, Storm 71

Is it possible that Khal Jhaqo was on his way to Meereen? Or might we meet those Yunkish riders in Vaes Dothrak, when Daenerys returns to unite the Dothraki into a single khalasar? 

But you know, when it comes to the trappings of office, it is possible to take it too far in the other direction:

The new King’s Hand was seated on an oaken throne carved in the shape of a hand, an absurd vanity his lordship had produced the day Ser Kevan agreed to grant him the office he coveted.

(ADwD, Epilogue)

The Harpy throne was a bit much, I think. The Iron throne is a bit much too, thinking on it. But I'm not sure Mace is getting heaps of cred going from his comfy hand chair. It's as if he fears to ascend to his rightful seat. But he isn't afraid to look ridiculous.

Cersei strikes a nice balance:

Only the king or his Hand could sit upon the throne itself. Cersei sat by its foot, in a seat of gilded wood piled with crimson cushions.(ADwD, Ch.24 Cersei V)

Three things...

I

"Beauty can be treacherous. My brother learned that lesson from Cersei Lannister. She murdered him, do not doubt it. Your father and Jon Arryn as well."

--Stannis to Jon, Jon XI, Storm 76

Actually, Petyr may have been behind all three. We know he urged Lysa to poison Jon Arryn. And we strongly suspect that he at least suggested that The Ned should lose his head. And perhaps, just perhaps, Petyr informed Robert’s party of a monstrous boar in the Kingswood...

"Given his preferences, I believe he'd stay in the forest until you and the queen both die of old age," Lord Petyr replied with a faint smile. "Lacking that, I imagine he'll return as soon as he's killed something. They found the white hart, it seems . . . or rather, what remained of it. Some wolves found it first, and left His Grace scarcely more than a hoof and a horn. Robert was in a fury, until he heard talk of some monstrous boar deeper in the forest. Then nothing would do but he must have it. Prince Joffrey returned this morning, with the Royces, Ser Balon Swann, and some twenty others of the party. The rest are still with the king."

Eddard XII, Game 45

That’s how he rolls, no?

"I also planted the notion of Ser Loras taking the white. Not that I suggested it, that would have been too crude. But men in my party supplied grisly tales about how the mob had killed Ser Preston Greenfield and raped the Lady Lollys, and slipped a few silvers to Lord Tyrell's army of singers to sing of Ryam Redwyne, Serwyn of the Mirror Shield, and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. A harp can be as dangerous as a sword, in the right hands.

"Mace Tyrell actually thought it was his own idea to make Ser Loras's inclusion in the Kingsguard part of the marriage contract. Who better to protect his daughter than her splendid knightly brother? And it relieved him of the difficult task of trying to find lands and a bride for a third son, never easy, and doubly difficult in Ser Loras's case.”

Sansa VI, Storm 68

II

The Prophet, The Kraken’s Daughter, The Iron Captain, and The Drowned Man (Feast 1, 11, 18, and 19), all occur before Jon Jon XI, Storm 76...

Stannis studied him with those dark blue eyes. "Tywin Lannister has named Roose Bolton his Warden of the North, to reward him for betraying your brother. The ironmen are fighting amongst themselves since Balon Greyjoy's death, yet they still hold Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, Torrhen's Square, and most of the Stony Shore. Your father's lands are bleeding, and I have neither the strength nor the time to stanch the wounds. What is needed is a Lord of Winterfell. A loyal Lord of Winterfell."

III

Jon Snow is tempted by Winterfell, as Daenerys is tempted by peaches and nibbling fishes. Both have a higher calling...

“Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born."

Jon XI, Storm 76

"Remember who you are, Daenerys," the stars whispered in a woman's voice. "The dragons know. Do you?"

Daenerys X, Dance 71

Three things...

I

Forget Lyn Corbray, Marillion preyed on children...

And Marillion. There is always Marillion. When he played for them at supper, the young singer often seemed to be singing directly at her. Her aunt was far from pleased. Lady Lysa doted on Marillion, and had banished two serving girls and even a page for telling lies about him.

Sansa VII, Storm 80

Dude deserved what he got, no?

II

Snow was falling on the Eyrie.

Outside the flakes drifted down as soft and silent as memory. Was this what woke me? Already the snowfall lay thick upon the garden below, blanketing the grass, dusting the shrubs and statues with white and weighing down the branches of the trees.

Yet she stepped out all the same. Her boots tore ankle-deep holes into the smooth white surface of the snow, yet made no sound. Sansa drifted past frosted shrubs and thin dark trees, and wondered if she were still dreaming.

Sansa VII, Storm 80

What trees? Isn’t the Eyrie above the tree line?

Lysa's apartments opened over a small garden, a circle of dirt and grass planted with blue flowers and ringed on all sides by tall white towers. The builders had intended it as a godswood, but the Eyrie rested on the hard stone of the mountain, and no matter how much soil was hauled up from the Vale, they could not get a weirwood to take root here. So the Lords of the Eyrie planted grass and scattered statuary amidst low, flowering shrubs.

Catelyn VII, Game 40

III

Compare this...

Sansa left the shutters open as she dressed. It would be cold, she knew, though the Eyrie's towers encircled the garden and protected it from the worst of the mountain winds. She donned silken smallclothes and a linen shift, and over that a warm dress of blue lambswool. Two pairs of hose for her legs, boots that laced up to her knees, heavy leather gloves, and finally a hooded cloak of soft white fox fur.

Her maid rolled herself more tightly in her blanket as the snow began to drift in the window. Sansa eased open the door, and made her way down the winding stair. When she opened the door to the garden, it was so lovely that she held her breath, unwilling to disturb such perfect beauty. The snow drifted down and down, all in ghostly silence, and lay thick and unbroken on the ground. All color had fled the world outside. It was a place of whites and blacks and greys. White towers and white snow and white statues, black shadows and black trees, the dark grey sky above. A pure world, Sansa thought. I do not belong here.

Sansa VII, Storm 80

To this...

"His Grace is hunting across the Blackwater," Ned said, wondering how a man could live his whole life a few days ride from the Red Keep and still have no notion what his king looked like. Ned was clad in a white linen doublet with the direwolf of Stark on the breast; his black wool cloak was fastened at the collar by his silver hand of office. Black and white and grey, all the shades of truth. "I am Lord Eddard Stark, the King's Hand. Tell me who you are and what you know of these raiders."

Eddard XI, Game 43

And keep in mind the former passage comes just before she tries to build Winterfell with Petyr Baelish, the man who instigated the death and ruin brought down on her house.

Compare this...

Egg had big eyes, and somehow his shaven head made them look even larger. In the dimness of the lamplit cellar they looked black, but in better light their true color could be seen—deep and dark and purple.

To this...

Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father’s eyes were pale, the son’s were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple.

I was rereading ACOK, and realised that Balon used to write to Theon when he was a ward at Winterfell, albeit rarely:

Tall and thin, with fierce black eyes and a beak of a nose, the priest was garbed in mottled robes of green and grey and blue, the swirling colors of the Drowned God. A waterskin hung under his arm on a leather strap, and ropes of dried seaweed were braided through his waist-long black hair and untrimmed beard.

A memory prodded at Theon. In one of his rare curt letters, Lord Balon had written of his youngest brother going down in a storm, and turning holy when he washed up safe on shore. "Uncle Aeron?" he said doubtfully.

On 20/08/2016 at 0:58 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Actually, Petyr may have been behind all three. We know he urged Lysa to poison Jon Arryn. And we strongly suspect that he at least suggested that The Ned should lose his head. And perhaps, just perhaps, Petyr informed Robert’s party of a monstrous boar in the Kingswood...

In agreement with you, in fact, this post started as a proof of it, but it got far too long, too many little quotes from here and there, not generally interesting, and a little too like an even longer post I started on the riots of Kings Landing and still haven't finished. This thread isn't the right place to post a lengthy essay on the mad genius of Petyr Baelish, so I'll just say

It seems very likely that the hunt for the White Hart and the assassin in the melee were organised by Petyr as attempts to kill Robert. And that the same poison that made Tywin's bowels stink was in the wine that soaked the bandages that Pycelle wound around Robert's belly.

And leave it at that.

“Who is Tansy, my lord? Do you want me to send for her, Father? Where would I find the woman? Does she still live?”(ASoS, Ch.02 Catelyn I)

When Arya arrives at Stoney Sept we meet

red-haired Tansy (ASoS, Ch.29 Arya V)

buxom and middle-aged, under the sign of the Peach, on the east side of the market square.  Bella reveals that King Robert took shelter there and they nursed his wounds before the Battle of the Bells, and Harwin points out to Arya

Connington wounded your grandfather Tully sore (ASoS, Ch.29 Arya V)

in the same battle then fled, leaving Hoster and Ser Denys Arryn, then heir of the Vale, to say their last words or to be saved by whatever nurses the town had to hand for them.

8 hours ago, Walda said:

In agreement with you, in fact, this post started as a proof of it, but it got far too long, too many little quotes from here and there, not generally interesting, and a little too like an even longer post I started on the riots of Kings Landing and still haven't finished. This thread isn't the right place to post a lengthy essay on the mad genius of Petyr Baelish, so I'll just say

It seems very likely that the hunt for the White Hart and the assassin in the melee were organised by Petyr as attempts to kill Robert. And that the same poison that made Tywin's bowels stink was in the wine that soaked the bandages that Pycelle wound around Robert's belly.

And leave it at that.

When Arya arrives at Stoney Sept we meet

buxom and middle-aged, under the sign of the Peach, on the east side of the market square.  Bella reveals that King Robert took shelter there and they nursed his wounds before the Battle of the Bells, and Harwin points out to Arya

in the same battle then fled, leaving Hoster and Ser Denys Arryn, then heir of the Vale, to say their last words or to be saved by whatever nurses the town had to hand for them.

I would like to see your argument about Petyr setting up an assassination attempt in the melee. 

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I would like to see your argument about Petyr setting up an assassination attempt in the melee. 

My 'proof' is nothing so direct and convincing as the name of the man in the melee that was supposed to inflict the wound that would mortify and kill Robert. I'd love that, but GRRM only mentions Thoros, the winner. The closest I can get to naming the other 38 or 39 participants is to go through all the people at the tourney ruling out the likes of Balon Swann and Lothar Brune, who we know had entered into other events and were therefore not available for the melee.

That melee does not seem to have been memorable, not even to the BwB, although it brought a number of them together. Lord Walder Frey mentions his bastards participated in the melee on Joffrey's name day, and Davos reminisces on how Bronze Yohn had taken Thoros out in that melee. Thoros himself remembers upsetting Kevan in an even earlier melee. Nobody seems to have come out of the Tourney of the Hand with an identifiable limp, or to remember how busy it made the maesters and bonesetters.

My 'proof' is more an accretion of questions where each instance has a different set of valid answers, and Littlefinger is always one. Tywin or Cersei are often one of the valid answers too, except if they are the answer, someone else must usually do their dirty work. Petyr does his best work when he is absent too, but it is not quite the same.  And there is this black hole effect where, if you accept Littlefinger is behind one thing, and follow its logical consequences and antecedents, he seems to be behind more and more other things, like, if Petyr was behind the plot to bring Margaery to Kings Landing, who introduced Renly to Loras? Got a cask of Arbor summerwine to that Lysene poisoner at Vaes Dothrak?

That is why the post is long and tedious (and unfinished). The bit about the melee doesn't stand by itself, with a clear chain of command like the execution of Eddard Stark. There you can see Petyr Baelish bought the gold cloaks, instructed Slynt and the guards holding Eddard to listen to Joffrey, whose sadistic tendencies he had assiduously fed with traitors to put to death, got Ice spirited out of the tower of the Hand, and into the hands of Ilyn Payne, who lived for killing. There, you can see Baelish in charge everywhere. For the melee I was thinking more about arbor wine and Baelish's southron connexions, saw it as just one of a few possible ways to give Robert a superficial scratch, just enough to justify boiled wine and bandages.

Two things...

I

House Goodbrother will rise up against Euron...

"Damphair, I would have your counsel. What shall it be, homage or defiance?"

The Prophet, Feast 

So will House Merlyn...

The Merlyn crossed his arms against his chest. “Is it Asha, then? Or Victarion? Tell us, priest!”

The Prophet, Feast 

II

"The Storm God cast him down," the priest announced. For a thousand thousand years sea and sky had been at war. From the sea had come the ironborn, and the fish that sustained them even in the depths of winter, but storms brought only woe and grief. "My brother Balon made us great again, which earned the Storm God's wrath."

And if age and grief had turned Balon bitter with the years, they had also made him more determined than any man alive. He was born a lord's son and died a king, murdered by a jealous god, Aeron thought, and now the storm is coming, a storm such as these isles have never known.

The Prophet, Feast

We can pretty much substitute Euron for Storm God, no? OK, now dig this...

He had no love of maesters. Their ravens were creatures of the Storm God, and he did not trust their healing, not since Urri.

"Euron Crow's Eye sits the Seastone Chair."

"Now he sends forth ravens, summoning the captains and the kings from every isle to Pyke, to bend their knees and do him homage as their king."

The Prophet, Feast

First, Aeron tells us that ravens are the Storm God's creatures, then we learn that Euron has sent forth ravens. 

I have seen the storm, and its name is Euron Crow's Eye.

The Prophet, Feast

And there it is. 

Victarion. The king must be Victarion, or the storm will slay us all.

“The Storm God in his wrath plucked Balon from his castle and cast him down, and now he feasts beneath the waves in the Drowned God’s watery halls.” He raised his hands. “Balon is dead! The king is dead! Yet a king will come again! For what is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger! A king will rise!”

"For I have heard the god, who says, No godless man may sit my Seastone Chair!”

The Prophet, Feast

So, there must be a king after Euron since he is the Storm, and the Ironmen are of the sea. Who will it be? 

“Nymeria,” she said. “Only she called me Nan for short.”(ACoK, Ch.47 Arya IX)

Could Old Nan be a Nymeria? Could she be an Umber (they named one of their boys Mors, perhaps after the king that married Nymeria, so perhaps the Umbers have a historic connection to Dorne. The North Remembers.)

On 8/26/2016 at 2:36 AM, Walda said:

Could Old Nan be a Nymeria? Could she be an Umber (they named one of their boys Mors, perhaps after the king that married Nymeria, so perhaps the Umbers have a historic connection to Dorne. The North Remembers.)

One of the Umbers studied at the Citadel for a time. Whoresbane I think maybe his father Hoarfrost visited outside the North at somepoint? I have heard Dorne and the North compared to as similar and seperate from the rest of Westeros in the World Book but I am not sure of any connection.

Archived