Vikings IX: The Bear Necessities [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

47 minutes ago, Wmarshal said:

Oh fuck, Hirst and Johnathan Rhys Meyers. Tudors flashbacks. NOT COOL! I like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but this is starting to scare me. I hope they don't cast Henry Cavill and his one facial expression . . . lost. That Variety article is one big name drop, nothing more.

Lagertha was badass, Bjorn is his father's son, Ivarr the Psychopath, yep a better episode.

Not really sure what the hell Ecbert is doing. Is he planning to kill Aella?

And the Paris stuff continues to be weak. And I guess Yidu is Chinese, ffs. At least she's an emperor's daughter.

Fuck yes, Lagertha! Fuck yes! The earldom of Hedeby is only big enough for one.

I loved most of this episode. Starting with everyone's favorite shield maiden. She stole the episode

Oh Ivar, you will be so much fun to watch this season. Floki loves you already.

Bjorn learns the identity of the ring's owner. Erlendur's days are numbered. Blood Eagle II I hope.

I'm enjoying Ragnar's continuing struggles with ruling. I wasn't too keen on Yidu being royalty, but I suppose it works. I'm wondering what the hell the emperor's daughter would be doing in the Red Sea, but Hirst.

So Finehair's men and his brother Halfdan have arrived. OK. More intrigue. I was expecting a more intimidating Halfdan for some reason. Trying to win over Floki seems a bit Horik and season 2, but I'm willing to see how it develops. Loved Floki's line about killing Ragnar's Christian pet.

Wessex was a bit weak again. I can care less about the tangled romances and Judith's emancipation. More Aelle please.

Yeah, how does the king of Frankia not know that was Roland's sister? I'm wondering if the king is really this dumb or if he and Odo are playing Roland and his sister. Frankia storyline was a bit dull again. I can't wait until the Vikings show up again.

I was glad to hear about Ragnar knowing about the slaughter in Paris. Also glad to hear him speak to Bjorn about his missing daughter, lol.

Laguertha, awesome as always.

I can't understand/don't remember why Ecbert and Aelle wants to help Kwenrith so much (well King Aelle not so much). They already had to help her once against her brother and uncle, and she brings NOTHING to the table, it seems. Why can't they just kill her and conquer her territory instead ?

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Fuck yes, Lagertha! Fuck yes! The earldom of Hedeby is only big enough for one.

I loved most of this episode. Starting with everyone's favorite shield maiden. She stole the episode

Oh Ivar, you will be so much fun to watch this season. Floki loves you already.

Bjorn learns the identity of the ring's owner. Erlendur's days are numbered. Blood Eagle II I hope.

I'm enjoying Ragnar's continuing struggles with ruling. I wasn't too keen on Yidu being royalty, but I suppose it works. I'm wondering what the hell the emperor's daughter would be doing in the Red Sea, but Hirst.

So Finehair's men and his brother Halfdan have arrived. OK. More intrigue. I was expecting a more intimidating Halfdan for some reason. Trying to win over Floki seems a bit Horik and season 2, but I'm willing to see how it develops. Loved Floki's line about killing Ragnar's Christian pet.

Wessex was a bit weak again. I can care less about the tangled romances and Judith's emancipation. More Aelle please.

Yeah, how does the king of Frankia not know that was Roland's sister? I'm wondering if the king is really this dumb or if he and Odo are playing Roland and his sister. Frankia storyline was a bit dull again. I can't wait until the Vikings show up again.

Lagertha definitely took the episode and ran with it - You go, girl.  

I am in no hurry for any more Blood Eagle torture scenes.  Bjorn can just kill Erlendur quickly as far as I'm concerned.  I hope that Erlendur doesn't murder that little boy first, though.  

Judith is only kidding herself about being emancipated.  The minute she loses Ecbert's protection, whether he grows tired of her or dies, Judith is fair game for Ethulwulf's revenge (for being cuckolded) or for Kwenrith if she wants Ethulwulf as a husband.  It's still the Dark Ages; Judith had better find herself some more allies just in case.  However, if she can stay alive until her sons grow up (and one or both of them live), she could live out her life in comparative luxury...

I like the Frankia scenes as long as they feature Rollo.

I find Ragnar and Yidu to be a soporific combination.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Wtf, why do we have two Vikings threads going anyway? I could have sworn I already commented on this, and it was in the other thread. 

Because Veltigar for reasons only he knows couldn't contain himself.  He MUST snark when He Must Needs SNARK.  Bad manners, Veltigar, bad manners.  Just like a viking. :cheers:

It's all set up for Bjorn to kill Erlundur now, hopefully soon. Fucking was so happy at that ending.

ive weirdly been liking Aslaug a lot these last couple eps, same with Floki. Paris and Wessex continue to be mehhh for me. Should be nice once the Vikings head that way though. 

31 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Judith is only kidding herself about being emancipated.  The minute she loses Ecbert's protection, whether he grows tired of her or dies, Judith is fair game for Ethulwulf's revenge (for being cuckolded) or for Kwenrith if she wants Ethulwulf as a husband.  It's still the Dark Ages; Judith had better find herself some more allies just in case.  However, if she can stay alive until her sons grow up (and one or both of them live), she could live out her life in comparative luxury...

I think Ecbert is only interested in Judith in so far as she is the mother of Athelstan Jr. Once Alfred is named heir, Judith is finished.

So wait, why can Lagertha just murder someone?  I assumed Bjorn told her about Erlendur but why is he still alive and the usurper not?  She killed him after all this time just because?  No pretense of lawful execution?

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So wait, why can Lagertha just murder someone?  I assumed Bjorn told her about Erlendur but why is he still alive and the usurper not?  She killed him after all this time just because?  No pretense of lawful execution?

I don't think Bjorn told her yet. We will likely see Bjorn v Erlendur first hand when it happens. But iirc, Lagertha promised last season that she would one day kill Kalf for talking the Earldom, regardless of how they felt about each other. That was why he laughed, and why she kissed him at the end; they both recognised she was fulfilling that promise (unless I've gone entirely cracked and imagined that scene. Very possible of course). And the reason it wasn't contested (yet) was because Lagertha wisely displayed her support base of warrior women. 

Eta; definitely the best episode so far. Nothing was glaringly weak, and I actually liked Ecbert's church scene. Rolling my eyes at Judith still. Someone find a horse for her to jump in front of. 

Paris wasn't bad but it was a little eye-roll inducing because I just don't car about anyone. And :lol: at Rollo "don't stab people in the back" line. Sure, of course you don't....unless they are your own men, in which case go wild! 

Ivar :wideeyed: 

Bjorn is great so far this season. Here's hoping its him that takes down Finehair. And Aslaug. Also, really liked the father-son talk between him and Ragnar. 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don't think Bjorn told her yet. We will likely see Bjorn v Erlendur first hand when it happens. But iirc, Lagertha promised last season that she would one day kill Kalf for talking the Earldom, regardless of how they felt about each other. That was why he laughed, and why she kissed him at the end; they both recognised she was fulfilling that promise (unless I've gone entirely cracked and imagined that scene. Very possible of course). And the reason it wasn't contested (yet) was because Lagertha wisely displayed her support base of warrior women. 

Plus she got Kalf to kill all the people who were likely to raise any issues of her being Earl in the first episode this season. 

10 hours ago, The Unborn said:

I was glad to hear about Ragnar knowing about the slaughter in Paris. Also glad to hear him speak to Bjorn about his missing daughter, lol.

I don't think Ragnar knows about what Rollo did. He was talking to Yidu about the slaughter of the settlers in Wessex, which he kept secret after murdering the one survivor. Floki may know, but that's about it. And he kept Lagertha and the others distracted by giving them a bigger target - Paris. And he is continuing to do that, because, as explained by him, he has become weary of being king. Much easier to let his people roam and pillage a rich country like Frankia, than to lead them in a campaign of retribution.

Archived