(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

Considering that a former CIA agent is their central consultant, I assume they are writing in real issues faced by agents.  To think that agents are unaffected by the work they do is to assume all of them are psychopaths or sociopaths.  Being affected by the work they do has been a central theme in this show from the very first episode.  We are introduced to Stan, for example, as someone profoundly affected by his lengthy undercover work in the US South.  And I remember being introduced to Elizabeth seducing some guy in a hotel room and then totally changing and going home to listen secretly in the basement to a tape from her mother.  The stresses on these people were made obvious from the get go.

William, the scientist trying to steal microbes and viruses, thinks Central are all idiots and obviously aches for his wife, who has returned to Russia.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Considering that a former CIA agent is their central consultant, I assume they are writing in real issues faced by agents.  To think that agents are unaffected by the work they do is to assume all of them are psychopaths or sociopaths.  Being affected by the work they do has been a central theme in this show from the very first episode.  We are introduced to Stan, for example, as someone profoundly affected by his lengthy undercover work in the US South.  And I remember being introduced to Elizabeth seducing some guy in a hotel room and then totally changing and going home to listen secretly in the basement to a tape from her mother.  The stresses on these people were made obvious from the get go.

I completely agree. And in fact, when we think of this as also a family drama with two people who actually fell in love for their colleague and created entirely functional family, it is totally unbelievable anyone would see either of these characters as unaffected by what happens in the world of espionage.

They are people and we have countless different TV series/movies where we see how work affect personal life. In a TV show where man has to seduce someone's daughter, while also having a daughter of his own, where woman has to destroy a family, fully aware of how that may be painful. It has even been established that their understanding and care for people is what makes them so good at what they do. And this is not just an empty talk. In the world where trust is the only currency, actual care counts for something.

BTW, I am increasingly interested in Tatiana's story...

FX has renewed “The Americans” for a final two seasons, the network announced Wednesday.

A 13-episode fifth season will air in 2017. The sixth and last season will consist of 10 episodes and air in 2018. Three episodes remain in the series’ current fourth season.

Series creators Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields have also signed a new overall deal with FX Productions to develop their next series.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-americans-renewed-last-two-seasons-fx-show-ends-1201782857/

That ending. I thought it was going to be a nice quiet episode. I loved the dinner scene. Pastor Tim had some great reactions in this one. I did not see the twist of Patti committing suicide either. Sad for Elizabeth and Young Hee, but at least she didn't totally destroy their family, maybe.

8 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

That ending. I thought it was going to be a nice quiet episode. I loved the dinner scene. Pastor Tim had some great reactions in this one. I did not see the twist of Patti committing suicide either. Sad for Elizabeth and Young Hee, but at least she didn't totally destroy their family, maybe.

Well, they weren't able to find the codes. I wonder if they will try and blackmail Don again?

That's true. I was just thinking that, if Don's family isn't completely torn apart yet; it could still get worse. The Russians may not be done with them yet.

I thought it was a really good episode. Did y'all notice the look Stan gave Pastor Tim when he learned that he was a liberal activist? I think something will probably happen between those two.

I was thinking that too.  

All the feels, this season is bringing too many feels.  I need to not watch this before trying to go to bed.  I'm wondering how messed up Paige will be after watching her mom kill someone.  Also wondering if Stan is still working Oleg, if he knew that was the right way to get Oleg to flip or something.  I'm assuming probably yes.  Previously, I would have said there is no way Oleg would flip considering there are often no tangible, long term benefits as both sides struggle to follow through on promises of safety.  But now....not so sure.  

A very mixed episode for me. Some of it was brilliant, some of it subpar.

I was assuming Elizabeth was working Pastor Tim, if it turns out she's actually leaning on him out of guilt over the Koreans then I don't buy it, it just doesn't fit. The final scene was quite corny too, with her training she'd easily able to neutralize a tramp without having to kill him. And don't get me started on Phillips's terrible wig this week, that wouldn't fool the blind.

The rest of it was good, particularly the dinner scene which was great

I almost did not want to watch this episode, (and I did not watch the replay once the meeting between the 'family' and Don started) because I was afraid of what would happen to the Korean family.  It was painful to watch the wool being pulled over Don's eyes, and left me feeling badly for both Elizabeth and Don and Young Hee. Phillip didn't have the attachment to them.  And the scenes between Pastor Tim and Elizabeth were awesome, because I felt both the manipulation going on and detected an underlying genuine emotion on display.

And the was The. Most. Awkward. Dinner. Party...evah!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

And the scenes between Pastor Tim and Elizabeth were awesome, because I felt both the manipulation going on and detected an underlying genuine emotion on display.

Yeah... The best part of Elizabeth is that you are truly never sure whether she is manipulating someone or being genuinely emotional. With Pastor Tim, I suppose there is both of those, but in comparison to Phillip's characters where you can see when he is manipulating and when he is sincere, Elizabeth is someone who never truly takes off that manipulative mask. That of course doesn't mean she is incapable of deep emotions. It is just how she lives.

started bingeing this week. I've just finished ep 5 and it's still at the top its game. The different levels of story going on with Philip and Elizabeth in any given scene is a joy to watch and dissect. I think they've got things to click with their daughter storyline too. Last season I found her a bit exaspersating but now I really feel for her being that age and having to do with such heavy stuff. The actress is doing a fine job too,

Martha continues to break my heart every time she's on screen and it's amazing how the show makes you like the leads despite the awful things they do to everyone around them.

Nina's death was a good call - they probably should have done it sooner but at least it appears to be acting as a catalyst for develpments along the way.

Just read an article bemonaning the show ending. I was initially worried it was this season but it turns out they are getting another two. I think that's more than enough to complete the story and not drag it out.

It was a great episode but the ending was very far-fetched, and it felt like they needed to force the fact that Phil and Elizabeth are violent and ruthless murderers on Paige rather than let it dawn on her slowly and gradually. Oddly weak writing for a show of this caliber. Was it really necessary for Elizabeth to stab that homeless guy in the neck to ensure he's murdered ? Was it even necessary to stab the dude at all ? She could have knocked him out cold ?  

I feel like she wasn't really thinking clearly and that she saw red when her daughter was threatened with rape. Not seeing what was far-fetched about it. 80's DC was also a shithole so I didn't think the confrontation was out of place either. 

Last night was another solid episode. Everything from Olegs conversation with his mom on was really good and super tense (minus the Mathew/Paige stuff). I think it was the best episode of the series for Oleg. His actor was on point. 

I feel bad for Paige.... not only are her parents Russian spies.... her room has the most god-awful wallpaper in the history of human kind.

My prediction for the finale;..... they get caught.... and then the Berlin Wall comes down and they kind of did this last op for nothing..... just to give their fate a little irony.

On 27/05/2016 at 11:06 AM, Mark Antony said:

I feel like she wasn't really thinking clearly and that she saw red when her daughter was threatened with rape. Not seeing what was far-fetched about it. 80's DC was also a shithole so I didn't think the confrontation was out of place either. 

I think there was the "take no chances" because of the threat to Paige like you say. Given Elizabeth's training she wouldn't waste time and automatically go for the killing blow.

It looks like the CIA finally have an advantage over the KGB and with William a marked man and Phillip going out to meet him it's setting up a tense finale.

Oleg was great this episode and I do like how the characters are realising biological weapons are simply too dangerous. William's description was chilling "you dissolve from the inside and squirt it out through your anus". You can control where you point a nuke but the bioweapons can literally blow back in your face. Oleg is taking a huge risk though but what I like is he knows what's at stake - including the possibility of ruining his girlfriend's career. Also, was Oleg's discussion about Challenger setting up a potential KGB sabotage of the ship? That would be a ballsy yet really interesting idea. They'd have to tread very carefully though - possibly have it down to KGB suspicions rather than the US actually using that mission for something cold war related?

I don't mind the Paige and Matthew thing as it is curious to see Paige naturally trying to develop assets while also not knowing whether it's just because she likes Matthew. It would be weird if we've never seen a scene(s) where Beeman told his son about that time he thought the neighbours were KGB agents. I don't think that'll be the case but I definitely see a conversation between Beeman and his son  allowing Beeman to make some connections that finally fit.

With two seasons left I do wonder when they'll have Beeman onto them? It still feels like a final season end-game to me.

Unless the finale drops the ball massively this is definitely a highlight of this year's viweing for me. I don't think I've seen a "not great" episode this season and there's nothing sloppy or inherently stupid in the plots.

Going back a few episodes. I liked the fact that Elizabeth is starting to show some remorse when it comes to destryoying asset's lives. Weirdly what she did to the korean couple seemed even worse than her killing her relapsed alcoholic asset. I think it was because she genuinely became friends with them. I can see how this kind of thing could make Elizabeth and Philip grow closer. The kicker with the korean storyline was that as of yet it was a completely fruitless mission.

Archived