(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

But, yeah, they're much better as a team in ALL ways.  Very sad, actually, what it's come to.

Well, this has always been a family drama too so in a way, it is kinda expected to see that fallout after Phillip and Elizabeth's "work divorce". It is not just the spouse, or colleague, it is the entire support system they have lost. It is sad, especially given that it is the last season, so they have no where to run, no where to hide. In words of Lord Elrond "they will unite or they will fall" :D

Thought tonight’s ep was really fucking good and got the ball rolling when the slow burn of the previous two or three was starting to grate on me. Even the camera work and music just seemed on point this week. 

Elizabeth is such a monster this season. Gennadi was my spirit animal, Pizza/Beer/Hockey. Feel so bad for Illya but at least Elizabeth didn’t wipe him out as well, wouldn’t put it past her at this point. Her kill count is fucking insane, Maybe a bit too insane. She’s basically John Wick. 

Tatiana coming back with a vengeance was a surprise but made sense. As if I didn’t fear for Oleg and his loved ones enough before this episode.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 0:34 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Amazing episode. That Phillip/Paige scene has so much subtext you'd have to rewatch ten times to get it all...maybe. And just...ugh, THAT moment with Kimmy. Probably inevitable in the long run, but, still...

For sure.  "WTF??" had to be at least ONE of the things she was thinking.  He made his point quite clearly, though. If you think you're ready for this, you're NOT.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:34 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Amazing episode. That Phillip/Paige scene has so much subtext you'd have to rewatch ten times to get it all...maybe. And just...ugh, THAT moment with Kimmy. Probably inevitable in the long run, but, still...

At one moment I was afraid he is going to seriously harm her. There was something, almost sinister in his behavior that was too "you know nothing" but also having that caring and nurturing aspect combined with that. I like Phillip's dealings with Paige. My favorite scene is the ripping of the Bible. This one was wordless and but just as vocal.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Did Philip just kind of out himself to Kimmy?

Well, that was his Rubicon...Nothing will ever be the same as from now on.

I think the U.K is one week behind the U.S? I keep forgetting that and come to check this thread. Luckily I only just skimmed over what was said because I saw it mentioned Kimmy and she only showed up briefly in the episode I watched!

i think this has been a great season so far. Everything feels so high stakes and tense as they hurtle towards the end. The Jennings’ and their family dynamic has very much been the beating heart of the show since the beginnning, with the spy stuff the interesting backdrop, so it’s great seeing how this dynamic is shattering now under the strain. 

Everything feels very ominous though, and it seems almost inevitable that the ending will have Phillip or Elizabeth having to choose what they perceive as their duty to their homeland or their spouse. I suspect I shall end this season in tears. 

Also, I would like to see Martha again. Wonder if they will check in with her, they did last season.

Best episode of the season, didn't want it to end. The final 4 episodes are set up very nicely

Overall haven't really enjoyed this one or S5  as much as other seasons. I think a big reason is Paige, I find her character beyond irritating it gets in the way of enjoying the show. Another is that S6 has felt a little rushed compared to the usual normal pace of the show

I'm an episode behind watching it in the UK so can't really join in the disussion that much. But this season has been excellent so far. Episode 5 moved things along very nicely with some great scenes. I love how this show is so good at showing us one thing yet trusting the audience enough to know it's about something else entirely. There's rarely a scene in this show where there isn't at least one other story bubbling under what we're actually seeing take place.

Phillip totally owning Paige in a fight - tough love but he knows how naive/stubborn Paige can be and if she thinks he's a washed up ex spy then she now knows the difference between beating up two drunk college students (one of which had it coming) is a different thing to taking on someone who is trained to kill and 50% taller and twice as heavy as you. I hope she learns from that but it's Paige we're dealing with...

But then we had the scenes with Elizabeth in terminator mode and sharing drunk anecdotes. Did she sleep with Phillip because she needed the intimacy or because she wanted to ask him to do one last mission. I'm pleased they had the time gap to make Phillips scene with the girl a little less creepy (although he's still groomed her so very wrong). It's still a testament to the show and the actors how they never shy away from the evil things they do yet I'm still empathising with them and hoping they succeed. Most shows tend to go down the love to hate route but not here.

And that ending - that was Phillip not only compromising himself but betraying his country. Shit. The blow back from that is going to be painful. All this while if anything Phillip is experiencing first hand that the american dream might be lie and that his expansion of the travel agency is bankrupting him. Which is odd as I always assumed the Russians were laundering money into the travel agency. Phillip and Elizabeth must be super awesome to not only be full time spies but run their own business well. Maybe they cut funding when Phillip stopped working as an agent?

Agree Paige is the weak point of the season. Everything else has been top notch though. 

Last night was actually a little slower than I expected but Stan definitely knows now right? I mean he’s not sure enough to tell anyone his thoughts but he fucking knows. 

Matthew Rhys is world class

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

]Matthew Rhys is world class

That can't be stressed enough. It seems that every time we say that, comes another episode where he raises the bar even more. And this episode was no exception. 

It was really nice seeing the two of them working together, especially seeing how Elizabeth is relieved to see him and how tortured Phillip was during the mutilation of the woman's body. Then we had Stan... I always knew that it will be something truly small that will raise suspicion. I was a bit thrown back that he wasn't able to find anything, but the game is on. I even think Paige will be the Jennings' trump card. All in all, it will be interesting to see how this friendship will break.

Three episodes left and one of them is called 

Spoiler

"Jennings, Elizabeth"

I think she may be the target rather than the both of them. It will be interesting to see how that will pan out.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is it possible to even like Elizabeth anymore...? Sigh.

No... But Phillip loves her. And that matters for everything. I think she may be the one to fall first. And then we will see how connected they truly are. I am so excited about this show's ending, because we only have 3 episodes left and we are on no man's ground. 

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is it possible to even like Elizabeth anymore...? Sigh.

Yes. I like her and feel for her, as always.
A character doesn't have to be doing good things for the audience to like them... or else I wouldn't have ever liked any of the main characters other than Henry, and maybe Oleg.

Elizabeth seems to be at the end of her rope. Even Henry has noticed how unhappy she is - maybe because he sees her less often than Philip and Paige, so he could see the difference. The pictures that the dying woman is drawing - of a damaged/screaming/unhappy woman look an awful lot like Elizabeth. I wonder how long before she reaches the boiling point. 

Meanwhile, she seems to think that Paige can be a spy and at the same time safe from the kind of lifestyle and risks she and Philip have led (and free of having to kill people or use sex), by being a different kind of spy, undercover in the State Department. But that's probably just what she wants to believe, because that would also carry a lot of risks, with constant fear of being found out.

Nothing has really changed. Elizabeth and Phillip were doing bad things from the get go when we met them. They'd been assassins, thieves, etc. All for a cause, but still. That's still what they're doing. The only real difference is that Phillip doesn't believe in the cause any longer (which in a certainl light makes what he does agree to do even worse) , while Elizabeth is holding on to it with increasing desperation.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Nothing has really changed. Elizabeth and Phillip were doing bad things from the get go when we met them. They'd been assassins, thieves, etc. All for a cause, but still. That's still what they're doing. The only real difference is that Phillip doesn't believe in the cause any longer (which in a certainl light makes what he does agree to do even worse) , while Elizabeth is holding on to it with increasing desperation.

I think it is measurably much worse. Elizabeth turned from spy mother to this cold, unrelatable creature. She is a shell, there is nothing emotional coming from her. We see Phillip reaching to her and she gives nothing. And the moment she does give in to it is for her own agenda. Just like Phillip crossed the Rubicon with the info to Kimmy, she crossed the Rubicon a while now. 

Just now, Risto said:

I think it is measurably much worse. Elizabeth turned from spy mother to this cold, unrelatable creature. She is a shell, there is nothing emotional coming from her. We see Phillip reaching to her and she gives nothing. And the moment she does give in to it is for her own agenda. Just like Phillip crossed the Rubicon with the info to Kimmy, she crossed the Rubicon a while now. 

That's literally exhaustion and stress eating away at her from the sacrifice she's made (as she sees it) of allowing Phillip to (mostly) get out of the life. I wouldn't say there's nothing emotional. She's always been a pretty closed person. But the effort to do what she has done has really drained her. It doesn't make her any more or less unlikable, IMO. 

Just now, Ran said:

That's literally exhaustion and stress eating away at her from the sacrifice she's made (as she sees it) of allowing Phillip to (mostly) get out of the life. I wouldn't say there's nothing emotional. She's always been a pretty closed person. But the effort to do what she has done has really drained her. It doesn't make her any more or less unlikable, IMO. 

You have a point, but I feel like she is in some free fall in darkness mode. And the only one with the power to drag her out is Phillip, as we have seen in the last episode. Yes, she has always been closed but there is less and less humanity in her. I can't remember her being in this killing mode. Yes, she has been killing, stealing and dealing with good people who were manipulated by her, but the frequency of her kills is astonishing this season. And worse, she is not even as careful as she was. She lost something in the process.

Archived