(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

1 minute ago, Risto said:

You have a point, but I feel like she is in some free fall in darkness mode. And the only one with the power to drag her out is Phillip, as we have seen in the last episode. Yes, she has always been closed but there is less and less humanity in her. I can't remember her being in this killing mode. Yes, she has been killing, stealing and dealing with good people who were manipulated by her, but the frequency of her kills is astonishing this season. And worse, she is not even as careful as she was. She lost something in the process.

She's falling apart and has been in a desperate mode the entire season - which she sort of foresaw in S5 finale when she told Tuan he will break unless he has a partner in what she's doing. She's trying desperately to hold on to the belief that she's doing the right thing, but I don't know if she's even sure deep inside.

And ITA to all that @Ran said - I would "like" that post if there was such a function here.

Just now, Annara Snow said:

She's falling apart and has been in a desperate mode the entire season - which she sort of foresaw in S5 finale when she told Tuan he will break unless he has a partner in what she's doing. She's trying desperately to hold on to the belief that she's doing the right thing, but I don't know if she's even sure deep inside.

And ITA to all that @Ran said - I would "like" that post if there was such a function here.

@Annara Snow, you do know that you can like the posts now? :D I just liked yours :D 

I think that confusing reports from Russia is what also causing her a lot of doubt. She doesn't know who is friend and who is foe, and her only partner "divorced" her work-wise. 

7 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

She's trying desperately to hold on to the belief that she's doing the right thing, but I don't know if she's even sure deep inside

This is my take as well. I think deep down (or maybe even not that deep anymore) she is questioning what she's doing. Or rather she's pushing it all down to avoid questioning what she's doing. 

And Russell's performance has been bone-chilling and heartbreaking and just totally spectacular imo. 

Also, we got the "like" button back! I'm so happy, it's such a great feature for a lazy person like me! :D << :ninja:'d by @Risto!

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This is my take as well. I think deep down (or maybe even not that deep anymore) she is questioning what she's doing. Or rather she's pushing it all down to avoid questioning what she's doing. 

And Russell's performance has been bone-chilling and heartbreaking and just totally spectacular imo. 

Also, we got the "like" button back! I'm so happy, it's such a great feature for a lazy person like me! :D << :ninja:'d by @Risto!

Ah, I didn't notice the little heart in the corner. So that's a part of the upgrade? Back? Was it there before?

1 minute ago, Annara Snow said:

Ah, I didn't notice the little heart in the corner. So that's a part of the upgrade? Back? Was it there before?

Yeah, we had it yrs ago but then it vanished. I think it made things too slow or something? 

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I think it is measurably much worse. Elizabeth turned from spy mother to this cold, unrelatable creature. She is a shell, there is nothing emotional coming from her. We see Phillip reaching to her and she gives nothing. And the moment she does give in to it is for her own agenda. Just like Phillip crossed the Rubicon with the info to Kimmy, she crossed the Rubicon a while now. 

This. 

It isn't that she's doing anything differently that before, but she's doing it almost by rote. Lacking passion or emotion.  She's a husk of her former self.  I'm not certain we were ever supposed to root for the Russian spies doing awful things, but who Elizabeth is now, it isn't possible to like her...I'm not certain we can try to root for her anymore...I'm not certain she is redeemable...

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This. 

It isn't that she's doing anything differently that before, but she's doing it almost by rote. Lacking passion or emotion.  She's a husk of her former self.  I'm not certain we were ever supposed to root for the Russian spies doing awful things, but who Elizabeth is now, it isn't possible to like her...I'm not certain we can try to root for her anymore...I'm not certain she is redeemable...

I feel it's almost the opposite of lacking passion and emotion... Every scene w/ her I feel as if she's trying just so hard to not let her feelings overwhelm her completely. 

I can't remember the context around it now, but the scene where she starts to draw even though she's not w/ her "art teacher" (sorry I can never remember names) made me feel so bad for her, despite the increasingly horrible things she's been doing. It's just so full of angst and despair...

Nothing to add. Just that I'm so dumb. Was watching the latest episode last night and it literally just dawned on me that Elizabeth and Phillip are named Elizabeth and Phillip. I obviously knew their names, but I just didn't make the connection until last night. :( I'll show myself out now.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Nothing to add. Just that I'm so dumb. Was watching the latest episode last night and it literally just dawned on me that Elizabeth and Phillip are named Elizabeth and Phillip. I obviously knew their names, but I just didn't make the connection until last night. :( I'll show myself out now.

Well.. they kind of aren't. Those are their fake American names. Their real names are Nadezhda and Mikhail, called Mischa.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Well.. they kind of aren't. Those are their fake American names. Their real names are Nadezhda and Mikhail, called Mischa.

That being said, until it was said, I never realized their fake names were based on the English crown...

8 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That being said, until it was said, I never realized their fake names were based on the English crown...

I didn't realize it until now. 

I also only recently realized how funny it was that Philip was wearing glasses as a part of his disguise/secret identity as someone called Clark.

9 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I also only recently realized how funny it was that Philip was wearing glasses as a part of his disguise/secret identity as someone called Clark.

Excellent! :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Usually when shows run this long they've overstayed their welcome, and are milking the cow as long as they can.... this show, However, has been getting better as its gone on, and its about to end on a high note... IMO

Couldn't possibly agree more. 

Just finished watching ep 7 and by the end I had a knot in the pit of my stomach. The whole thing w/ Phil and Stan is going to be horrible. And it's tragic, they genuinely like each other. I almost don't want to see it but the shit is about to hit the fan big time. 

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Usually when shows run this long they've overstayed their welcome, and are milking the cow as long as they can.... this show, However, has been getting better as its gone on, and its about to end on a high note... IMO

Like another FX show Justified I do think the penultimate season was probably the weakest but yeah this season so far has been some of the best episodes they’ve done. Hope they stick the ending.

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Couldn't possibly agree more. 

Just finished watching ep 7 and by the end I had a knot in the pit of my stomach. The whole thing w/ Phil and Stan is going to be horrible. And it's tragic, they genuinely like each other. I almost don't want to see it but the shit is about to hit the fan big time. 

I hope it doesn't wind up with Stan dead. I would love to see him become Henry's father after Philip goes down. He's been more of a father to Henry than Philip has anyway. I would like to see things end well for at least one person.

Speaking of Philip's and Stan's friendship and Philip's and Elizabeth's relationship, I can't decide which one I'm going to be most upset about coming to an abrupt halt.  All I know is, there will be blood. (Apologies to Upton Sinclair.)

As for not "liking" Elizabeth, I don't think they who've voiced this opinion are being quite fair.  It's almost as if because she "hurt" our favorite, Philip**, a male perspective of sticking with the bro is injecting itself into how she is perceived.

** - just as cold of a killer as she is, (but maybe tempered with some regret, which as someone pointed out up above, makes him rather worse than Elizabeth.

To he clear, it isn't that i don't want to like Elizabeth, it's that they've gone to great lengths to sap the emotion from her.  It makes for a character who you can see being crushed by her own convictions. It's so very well acted.  Its painful to watch though, because you see these tiny hints that Elizabeth just might be more of a mind with Phillip than he realizes, but then she allows conviction to take hold and you cannot help but dislike her because she'd rather be stubborn that wrong.

Archived