(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

Here's a link to that radio interview with the showrunners, Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg, I mentioned upthread.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-wednesday-april-6-2016-1.3521936/the-americans-creators-on-the-similarities-between-spies-and-spouses-1.3521953

ETA:  I just realized, and think it's pretty funny, that GoT has 2 Dans and the Americans have 2 Joes.....

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:20 PM, Kindly Old Man said:

This is a good point. I'm fine with it since it's hard to see how they can have real movement wrt Phil and Elizabeth getting discovered before they start their endgame. Usually, though, they have subplots that have good dramatic arcs (e.g. Larrick), develop the characters, or are engaging on an emotional level. I didn't get any of that from the Glanders thing this season. 

No, I didn't either.  But you can bet **something** will happen to revisit this Glanders incident.  It **may** be that what happened there is all that's needed to push Gabriel over the edge into directly helping Philip and Elizabeth disappear into America.  That conversation between him and Margo Martindale's character showed that he's not as strictly by-the-book as he sometimes appears to P & E.

On Thursday, April 07, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Winterfell is Burning said:

OMG, THEY KILLED NINA! THE BASTARDS!

Really great episode. I'm specially curious to see the effect of Nina's death in both Stan and Oleg.

I think it's inevitable that Oleg finds out. I think it's the thin edge of a wedge that has him flirting with coming over.

If nothing else, it's another character with at least rudimentary knowledge of agents such as Phillip and Elizabeth, which amps the aspect of whether they could be caught...

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Tears of Lys said:

Some people haven't lived long enough to be moved by true tragedy. 

The more I think about it, the worse Nina's death seems to me.  The actress really "brought it" in those final moments too.  I still remember her poignant but ineffectual struggle and tears.

On another note, anybody have any theories how Martha's situation is going to play out?  Is Philip going to handle her death, or Elizabeth? (Perhaps Philip can't bring himself to it.)  Or is Martha going to be one step ahead of Philip and bring about the Illegals' downfall? 

Martha is going to end up getting pulled out by the Russians as a favor to Phillip, but then she's stranded in the Soviet Union while Phillips is taken in by the United States...

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Pastor Tim's church is by my house.  

Cool!  I'm glad it's not filmed in Vancouver. :)

"The series films in New York City at Eastern Effects Studios in Brooklyn. Other shooting locations include: Mamaroneck, Coney Island Avenue, Kew Gardens, Morningside Heights, and Farmingdale. Shooting of the pilot episode began in May 2012 and lasted until mid-June."

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Cool!  I'm glad it's not filmed in Vancouver. :)

"The series films in New York City at Eastern Effects Studios in Brooklyn. Other shooting locations include: Mamaroneck, Coney Island Avenue, Kew Gardens, Morningside Heights, and Farmingdale. Shooting of the pilot episode began in May 2012 and lasted until mid-June."

They do a lot exteriors on Staten Island. The end of season two was filmed on High Rock Park , Elizabeth met an asset she was working on the boardwalk a mile from my house. The laundromat where I used to do my laundry was on the first episode last season. There was one scene when Philip and Elizabeth met a fellow KGB couple outside a building on a "country" road.  

I almost make a game out of spotting locations I recognize.   

If Stan does find out about the Jenningses, it's now become difficult to determine what he'd do about it.  He obviously loves Henry very much and he just all but called Phillip his BFF.  Last season and maybe even until he learned of Nina's execution, I would have said definitely Stan would turn in Phillip and Elizabeth should he find out.  Now, I'm not so sure.  That's not to say that I think he'd allow them to continue being spies.  Just that there's are plenty of good reasons I think he'd do something to at least warn them.  

47 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

If Stan does find out about the Jenningses, it's now become difficult to determine what he'd do about it.  He obviously loves Henry very much and he just all but called Phillip his BFF.  Last season and maybe even until he learned of Nina's execution, I would have said definitely Stan would turn in Phillip and Elizabeth should he find out.  Now, I'm not so sure.  That's not to say that I think he'd allow them to continue being spies.  Just that there's are plenty of good reasons I think he'd do something to at least warn them.  

We saw on the first episode that Philip isn't even sure if he believes in what he's doing.  

2 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

We saw on the first episode that Philip isn't even sure if he believes in what he's doing.  

Yeah, I know.  But that doesn't really have much to do with my speculations about what Stan will do if/when he finds out that Philip and Elizabeth are the couple he's been tracking.  

20 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, I know.  But that doesn't really have much to do with my speculations about what Stan will do if/when he finds out that Philip and Elizabeth are the couple he's been tracking.  

Yes it does,  Philip wanted out before his connection with Stan. So Stan won't have to do much to convince Philip to defect. 

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Yes it does,  Philip wanted out before his connection with Stan. So Stan won't have to do much to convince Philip to defect. 

I'm not talking about whether or not Stan could get Philip to defect. My point is that now Stan may not even try for that as a first option. His relationship with the family changes how he'd proceed. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not talking about whether or not Stan could get Philip to defect. My point is that now Stan may not even try for that as a first option. His relationship with the family changes how he'd proceed. 

Or maybe he could flip, he's building a rapport with Oleg. There are a lot of places his story can go. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Or maybe he could flip, he's building a rapport with Oleg. There are a lot of places his story can go. 

Sure, there are a lot of places his story can go, but I doubt it will go to him flipping, at least not without it being connected to someone with whom he has an established and meaningful relationship.  He and Oleg might have rapport, but Stan isn't flipping for Oleg.  Nor would Oleg flip for Stan, fwiw.  Stan's story since episode 1 has been to track down Philip and Elizabeth (though obviously he doesn't know he's tracking P & E).  What's Stan's been through during this process and the relationship he's developed with the Jenningses completely changes the way he'd react.  

Ironically, we know the Philip would almost surely defect, and Elizabeth at this point would give it much consideration, if only to keep Henry and Paige in America.  But Stan doesn't know this.  We see him looking at and treating Henry like his own son.  There's been a lot of speculation that Henry could be the one to accidentally clue Stan in to who P & E really are.  I think it's looking more likely that Henry is the one that would cause Stan to compromise everything he is.  Stan's not going to want Henry to have to live a life in the Soviet Union (because P & E could simply escape) and I think he'd give serious pause to the idea of Henry being sent into witness protection.  Nina's death hammers home to Stan that the Jennings family is completely doomed whether they run or defect.  

It is amazing how we went from show being spinning wheel to discussing ripple effect of Nina's murder. In a way, just like this show is as family drama as the spy thriller, the loyalty of the people involved in this great cold war is inevitably connected to the people they love. Nina's death may seem insignificant, but it's anything but unimpactful. How Oleg and Stan will move on from that is one thing, but how does it impact our favorite couple is whole another story. Simply, it was a reminder that failure is never an option. It reminds me a bit of "Bridge of Spies" and how Abel essentially went to most likely death. 

14 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm thinking that Nina's execution is going to come back on the Ruskies.... Oleg defects because they're such heartless, emotionless, inflexible assholes and blows the whole "sleeper agent" thing up.... and the show ends as it should

While, in-universe of the TV show this may be true, let we not pretend that Ruskie secret services are any worse than Yankee's. Or anyone else's, as for that matter. But, I do agree that this might push Jennings into a new direction. 

18 hours ago, Commodore said:

I've forgotten, who does Martha think Clark is right now? Not a Soviet spy, right?

AFAIK, when he offered to tell her, she didn't want to know - or something to that effect.  So, no, she doesn't know he's working for the Soviets. 

Archived