Season 6 Trailer

briantw

If they don't blurt out that anything controversial is from the books then it won't spoil anything. It will technically spoil some stuff but you won't know what until you read Winds of Winter. 

They've got the broad strokes and they will have to follow some of that. 

They can't spoil a book that hasn't been fully written and they haven't read it. 

I see it as getting two stories for the price of one. Each will have its own merits. 

On March 24, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Mandzipop said:

If they don't blurt out that anything controversial is from the books then it won't spoil anything. It will technically spoil some stuff but you won't know what until you read Winds of Winter. 

They've got the broad strokes and they will have to follow some of that. 

They can't spoil a book that hasn't been fully written and they haven't read it. 

I see it as getting two stories for the price of one. Each will have its own merits. 

Agreed.  It's the same story told two different ways...the main characters will follow the same paths, but the details will differ.

3 hours ago, Taylor Swift said:

Looking at the trailer, my early prediction is -

-Dany will probably spend half the season as a Dothraki slave, then the dragon will arrive and show her power. The Dothraki will accept Khaleesi as their savior and she will become their ruler, Dany will show up in Meereen at the end and liberate it, killing her enemies, Tyrion will pledge his loyalty, The Ironborn [Euron/Theon or Asha] will also support her, and Dany will finally be ready to set for westeros.

-Sansa, Jon Snow & Petyr will reunite around Winterfell, and many secondary characters will be killed off. Boltons wiped out, Starks retake WF & The wall falls.

The rest of the storylines will be minor.

Dany, well i hope not, because they wanted her DOA as was told to her then Drago, her husband was in his death bed. I hope that part plays out like the book. The dragon immediately swoops down to save her and intimidate them and they pledge loyal to her cause. Tyrion had already pledge his loyalty last season so he is just holding down the fort until she returns. She also need him if she get to Westeros, he is intelligent and knows his politics.

Petyr aka Littlefinger? If sansa see him wouldnt you think he will slit his throat first? Especially if she is preggers from Ramsay? Even if she takes WF back, just the torment she had to go through by LF setting her up with the boltons.

I really liked seeing the giant breaking down Winterfell's gate.  I still believe that Sansa will skin change to the giant to save and rebuild Winterfell.  (So much for the green ball being something other than a giant.  ;) ) 

4 minutes ago, MtnLion said:

I really liked seeing the giant breaking down Winterfell's gate.  I still believe that Sansa will skin change to the giant to save and rebuild Winterfell.  (So much for the green ball being something other than a giant.  ;) ) 

Could be wrong, but I don't think that's Winterfell, it looked like CB to me. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Hustle said:

Dany, well i hope not, because they wanted her DOA as was told to her then Drago, her husband was in his death bed. I hope that part plays out like the book. The dragon immediately swoops down to save her and intimidate them and they pledge loyal to her cause. Tyrion had already pledge his loyalty last season so he is just holding down the fort until she returns. She also need him if she get to Westeros, he is intelligent and knows his politics.

Petyr aka Littlefinger? If sansa see him wouldnt you think he will slit his throat first? Especially if she is preggers from Ramsay? Even if she takes WF back, just the torment she had to go through by LF setting her up with the boltons.

She can't very well slit Littlefinger's throat if he's the one who shows up with reinforcements in the battle for Winterfell. That'd be a dick move.

5 hours ago, Jam On Toast said:

We are heading firmly in to spoiler territory now. But, there is still SO much more to the books than the show and i'm comfortably treating the two seperately now.

Agree about spoilers ahoy. Frankly sceptical about 'the two being separate now'. I'm kind of accepting the show is going to spoil the books in every essential point, and consoling myself that sorting out how each arrived at these points and the difference it makes (or doesn't make) to the book, will make for a more interesting read in spite of them.

GRRM can say what he likes about pretty little butterflies growing into mighty big dragons - as a writer he may or may not have known that the point of Chaos theory is that, with the right formula, changes are deterministic. Little or big are relative terms, and butterflies or dragons all look like so much CGI to me. In the same post he points out that Jayne Poole have never been part of the show - I'm not sure if his co-producer credit gives him permission to make this call four years after D&D identified her  on the season one DVD commentary.

So far on the show, I am yet to see any huge progression, any significant departure from the GRRM plot, that didn't turn out to be heading straight back to where GRRM left things in Dance of Dragons. Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne, then come back. The Sandsnakes are halved, Elia plays Arrianne, nobody plays Cyvasse, but the pieces hold to the pattern GRRM set up anyway, just moving back and forward without capturing or being captured, or giving away the endgame.

I note GRRM coyly refused to tell us if Euron will appear on the show ever, a mere four months after HBO officially confirmed he would be played by Pilou Asbæk in season six. From this trailer, it looks a lot like Balon is going to die in suspicious circumstances the day that Euron comes home, and that Yara will absorb Victarion. Like every other 'major' change so far, I see an attempt to add clarity; use recognizable major characters to do stuff like marry Ramsey or marshal sand-snakes rather than introduce us to every SAG-eligible actor in the UK; an alteration in sexual or racial identity when it isn't essential to plot or character (Did anyone seriously think Victarion was going to marry Dany, anyway?). Apart from that, a lot of  inventing minor characters that can keep up Game of Throne's MA15+ ratings and be killed off without affecting characters GRRM is still toying with.

It is a complicated story to toy with, with deep characters, who have lots of traits and backstory and motivations, and  unexpected interactions - it is difficult enough to write the whole series once. To allow the producers of the TV version permission to write their own version of TWoW rather than adapt the one they purchased, seems problematical for reasons other than that it is a lot of work. If there is a permanent divergence, it will be because GRRM decided to re-write the books, not because someone who wrote faster than he did got in and did it first. 

It would be great if GRRM was doing something interesting like using the Twitter recation to the show to anticipate reader expectations, to turn 180 degrees from that point and keep going, blowing those expectations out of the water, exploiting this unique situation, creating crazy twists that have never been done before, and taking the novel to places it hasn't been since Waverley  and the steam press invented the best-seller. For example, if Jon Schrö

Snow stayed dead in one version and lived in the other.

That is, it would be great for people in the future who will be able to binge-watch and binge-read both, but I'd be seriously annoyed if Winds of Winter came out after 2020 because GRRM decided he would rather do a complete re-write than suffer the show to spoil the books.

Even in the unlikely event the TV spoils the book in every respect,  I can't feel disappointed about it. Just the fact that there is something coming out, possibly an actual continuation of the Song of Ice and Fire, rather than stuff we know already, is exciting. Yes, I hope the Winds of Winter is the best book he'd ever written, pinnacle of his lifetime's work, surpassed only by Dream of Spring.  I'd rather season six was the best ever, surpassed only by seasons seven and eight. But really, even the worst season of Game of Thrones/book in the Song of Ice and Fire, is very likely to be among the most entertaining  things I watch/ read. Knowing the new series première is three weeks, three days, and six hours away isn't spoiling anything for me. And I'm sure the release date of The Winds of Winter isn't going to be a less frabjous day, for being after season six.

Seriously guys how is this even a discussion ( stuff like " i am/ i am not comfortable with the show spoiling the books )? Even if the show absolutely spoils everything ( impossible i know ) from the books,  the only one to blame is GRRM for being a lazy bastard.

On 8.3.2016 at 9:53 PM, sweetsunray said:

The tally in the ToJ dream is important in the books because it leads to the same tally of dead people with the reverse anology confrontation between Ned and Jaime...7+3 KG = 10, of which 8 die. It's 3 of Ned's guards against multiple Lannisters and Jaime... 3 of Ned's men die and 5 men die on Lannister side... same dead tally: 8. There are more (reversed) anologies to be made between the KL fight and the ToJ dream that follows. And they're there so that you can derive conclusions from the ToJ dream. It doesn't really matter whether the show alters it to 6 because they didn't have Ned dream it in the show. Instead they'll probably reveal what actually happened with all the answers.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but...

Eh?

Is this some numerology/arithmetic/algebra/foreshadowing/prophecy thing that I'm not getting? I did higher maths at school and maths at uni but this is just... I don't understand.

I'm confused. More so because usually I can understand Sweetsunray's posts and the reasoning therein, usually very logical and supported by textual evidence.This just baffles me. Maybe I'm the dumb one here, but I suspect I'm not the only one. Maybe if Sweetsunray provided a "for dummies" explanation for us?

6 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Eh?

Is this some numerology/arithmetic/algebra/foreshadowing/prophecy thing that I'm not getting? I did higher maths at school and maths at uni but this is just... I don't understand.

I'm confused. More so because usually I can understand Sweetsunray's posts and the reasoning therein, usually very logical and supported by textual evidence.This just baffles me. Maybe I'm the dumb one here, but I suspect I'm not the only one. Maybe if Sweetsunray provided a "for dummies" explanation for us?

Ned's dream about ToJ: Ned + 6 = 7 + 3 KG = 10. Of these 10, 8 died. 

Ned's against Lannister men in KL 3 + 7 = 10, and 8 died. 

:dunno:

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ned's dream about ToJ: Ned + 6 = 7 + 3 KG = 10. Of these 10, 8 died. 

Ned's against Lannister men in KL 3 + 7 = 10, and 8 died. 

:dunno:

Ned had two trusted guards - Jory and Wyl - with him. Jaime didn't have matching numbers, he had more.

Ned glimpsed ringmail over leather, gauntlets and greaves, steel helms with golden lions on the crests. Their cloaks clung to their backs, sodden with rain. He had no time to count, but there were ten at least, a line of them, on foot, blocking the street, with longswords and iron-tipped spears. "Behind!" he heard Wyl cry, and when he turned his horse, there were more in back of them, cutting off their retreat. Jory's sword came singing from its scabbard. Eddard IX. (emphasis mine)

So there were more than 10 Lannisters at that KL encounter.

At least two, Ned and Jaime, walked away alive, I give you that.

7 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Ned had two trusted guards - Jory and Wyl - with him. Jaime didn't have matching numbers, he had more.

Ned glimpsed ringmail over leather, gauntlets and greaves, steel helms with golden lions on the crests. Their cloaks clung to their backs, sodden with rain. He had no time to count, but there were ten at least, a line of them, on foot, blocking the street, with longswords and iron-tipped spears. "Behind!" he heard Wyl cry, and when he turned his horse, there were more in back of them, cutting off their retreat. Jory's sword came singing from its scabbard. Eddard IX. (emphasis mine)

To be honest, I never really counted how many men were there in the books. I mean in the KL fighting. I was just trying to figure out the maths in sweetsunray's post. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

To be honest, I never really counted how many men were there in the books. I mean in the KL fighting. I was just trying to figure out the maths in sweetsunray's post. 

TBH, I never counted, either, because it didn't seem important. But Sweetsunray posited a certain number, to fit her certain theory, and the numbers just don't add up. From the primary source, GRRM's books.

I admire the work long-time fans, such as Sweetsunray, have done in interpreting evey syllable that GRRM has ever written or uttered, and they come up with interesting tidbits and theories, but I'm more of a "read book - like - maybe reread - maybe think a bit - yeah, OK" -type of a person. And I love the HBO show, it brought me to the books after Season 3, and as good as the show is, the books are better.

9 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

Eh?

I compare the ToJ dream with the encounter with Jaime in this essay: https://sweeticeandfiresunray.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/the-cursed-souls-of-eddard-and-robert/

You'll find reversed analogy table in the blog article

8 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

You are correct that that Jaime had more guard with him... there were more than 7 against 3. But Ned had 3 of his men along, and 3 died. Ned and his men killed 5 of Jaime's. That makes 8. Same number as ToJ. The ToJ dream comes right after the violent encounter with Jaime. The subject of the fight is even analogues: abductions on the King's Road (both in the RL); that of Lyanna and that of Tyrion. Lyanna's abduction results in a secret of parentage that Ned keeps. Tyrion's abduction is one of the cascading results of Jaime attempting to keep the parentage of Cersei's children a secret. Ned is brother to Lya. Jaime is brother to Cersei. We don't know the numbers of men killed in KL until Robert and Cersei visit with Ned who has just woken up from the ToJ dream. Numbers are often repeated in that convo, as often as numbers are repeated in the ToJ dream sequence in the same chapter. The numbers that matter are those that died in both encoutners, and they are reversed.

3 KG + 5 of Ned's men versus 3 of Ned's men + 5 of Jaime's men.

And while at the ToJ there are truly only 2 survivors (HR and Ned) and any more of unknown names in KL, here too only two named men walk away (Ned and Jaime)... Well, walk... Ned's crawling.

• 1 month later...

Halfway through the season, nice to look back on what scenes from the trailer are yet to come.

The video from the official YouTube account has gone private (my guess it's because of that shot with Jon on a horse), you can watch the trailer here.

Timestamps & commentary based on comment by user 'Turin the Turambar' on the 2nd page of this thread.

All scenes:

Spoiler

0:00 Wall - Castle Black - Jon lying dead

0:00 [Voiceover] Davos: “He's gone”

0:09 King's Landing, Jaime talking to Cersei

0:17 Davos standing before a wooden pyre

0:19 Roose and Ramsey

0:24 [Voiceover] Mel: “The great victory I saw in the flames...all of it was a lie”

0:24 Flayed man burning

0:24 Melisandre talking to Davos

0:26 Jorah and Daario, Daenerys' ring

0:34 Daenerys is brought to Vaes Dothrak

0:41 High Sparrow speaking to Jaime

0:43 Kingsmoot

0:45 Sansa at some castle

0:45 [Voiceover] Tyrion: “You're in the grat game now...”

0:48 Tyrion in the chambers

0:50 Drogon

0:53 Lancel confronts Cersei & Robert Strong

1:00 Tower of Joy