Season 6 Trailer

briantw

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

All in all this seems kind of like an inconsequential detail.  Yeah, I know it somewhat goes against the books, but it's a costume design decision more than anything, and black was a color of House Targaryen. 

Sure, as inconsequential as Euron's eyepatch. But then why let the KG have white cloaks anyhow? Why not yellow-black (Baratheon) in the present? It's inconsistent with the world and costumes they've shown already in the show, just like Mel wearing a black dress in S5 (and having darker hair) instead of the previous red. Both are inconsequential inconsistencies, but noticeable and therefore distracting... and imo completely avoidable.    

Just now, sweetsunray said:

Sure, as inconsequential as Euron's eyepatch. But then why let the KG have white cloaks anyhow? Why not yellow-black (Baratheon) in the present? It's inconsistent with the world and costumes they've shown already in the show, just like Mel wearing a black dress instead of the previous red in S5. Both are inconsequential inconsistencies, but noticeable and therefore distracting... and imo completely avoidable.    

It's possible that they just aren't wearing their white cloaks because they're in a fight, right?  I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing something that could get easily get snagged or that my opponent could grab in a fight to the death.

18 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Looking frightened? Don't see the foreshadowing to argue that Mel will sleep with Jon in the books "anyways".

She knelt and scratched Ghost behind his ear. “Your Wall is a queer place, but there is power here, if you will use it. Power in you, and in this beast. You resist it, and that is your mistake. Embrace it. Use it.”

I am not a wolf, he thought. “And how would I do that?”

“I can show you.” Melisandre draped one slender arm over Ghost, and the direwolf licked her face. “The Lord of Light in his wisdom made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there is power. Power to make life. Power to make light. Power to cast shadows.”

“Shadows.” The world seemed darker when he said it.

“Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall.” (ADWD )

“Because it suited her. Fire is a fickle thing. No one knows which way a flame will go.” Val put a foot into a stirrup, swung her leg over her horse’s back, and looked down from the saddle. “Do you remember what my sister told you?”

“Yes.” A sword without a hilt, with no safe way to hold it. But Melisandre had the right of it. Even a sword without a hilt is better than an empty hand when foes are all around you. (ADWD JON VIII)

Show me your king, your instrument.

Visions danced before her, gold and scarlet, flickering, forming and melting and dissolving into one another, shapes strange and terrifying and seductive. She saw the eyeless faces again, staring out at her from sockets weeping blood. Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist, "bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky." (ADWD Melisandre) 

Just now, briantw said:

It's possible that they just aren't wearing their white cloaks because they're in a fight, right?  I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing something that could get easily get snagged or that my opponent could grab in a fight to the death.

It's not just the cloaks that are white. Again, I repeat, I don't mind the colourless dragon sigil, as I don't mind the Baratheon sigil worked into the KG. But the KG don't wear black-yellow colors underneath the armor. They wear white pants, frock and shirts underneath.

ID8u4To.jpg

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

It's not just the cloaks that are white. Again, I repeat, I don't mind the colourless dragon sigil, as I don't mind the Baratheon sigil worked into the KG. But the KG don't wear black-yellow colors underneath the armor. They wear white pants, frock and shirts underneath.

ID8u4To.jpg

Those pants and shirt look more tan than white.  Look at how the white cloak contrasts with the shirt in the second picture.  It's a different color.  And given that they're called white cloaks, that's really the only part that's required to be white.

3 hours ago, Quillon said:

Nissa Nissa was a loved wife, no? So my problem with that; Melisandre isn't someone dear to Jon. I wouldn't call killing Melisandre "sacrifice".

It's my big issue here too.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:
Spoiler

She knelt and scratched Ghost behind his ear. “Your Wall is a queer place, but there is power here, if you will use it. Power in you, and in this beast. You resist it, and that is your mistake. Embrace it. Use it.”

I am not a wolf, he thought. “And how would I do that?”

“I can show you.” Melisandre draped one slender arm over Ghost, and the direwolf licked her face. “The Lord of Light in his wisdom made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there is power. Power to make life. Power to make light. Power to cast shadows.”

“Shadows.” The world seemed darker when he said it.

“Every man who walks the earth casts a shadow on the world. Some are thin and weak, others long and dark. You should look behind you, Lord Snow. The moon has kissed you and etched your shadow upon the ice twenty feet tall.” (ADWD )

“Because it suited her. Fire is a fickle thing. No one knows which way a flame will go.” Val put a foot into a stirrup, swung her leg over her horse’s back, and looked down from the saddle. “Do you remember what my sister told you?”

“Yes.” A sword without a hilt, with no safe way to hold it. But Melisandre had the right of it. Even a sword without a hilt is better than an empty hand when foes are all around you. (ADWD JON VIII)

Show me your king, your instrument.

Visions danced before her, gold and scarlet, flickering, forming and melting and dissolving into one another, shapes strange and terrifying and seductive. She saw the eyeless faces again, staring out at her from sockets weeping blood. Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist, "bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky." (ADWD Melisandre) 

Probably need to spoiler tag that

Spoiler

a) Didn't deny that Mel wants it, but Mel wanting it does not foreshadow she'll get her way

b ) on the latter, and where does it say that those bodies locked together in lust are Jon and Mel? Might be another woman, like Dany (her bleu rose + great winged shadow here). Sure, Mel might think it's herself, but her track record in interpretation is bad anyhow.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Those pants and shirt look more tan than white.  Look at how the white cloak contrasts with the shirt in the second picture.  It's a different color.  And given that they're called white cloaks, that's really the only part that's required to be white.

Look at the frock underneath the armor in the second pic. It's cream-white. We don't see the pants in that one. 

43 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

1) I don't mind the Targ-dragon sign on the armor, but KG wear white, not black. KG tower is called the White Tower. The book that preserves their deed is called the White Book.

Reveal hidden contents

And ToJ dream mentions white cloaks

2) I don't assume Mel needs to give up her life. But the non-lustful, but instead worried and frightened facial expression of Mel combined with opening the front of her dress reminds me of Nissa Nissa. (And I dislike "x will be y's Nissa Nissa in general when it comes up in book plot speculations).

As for Thoros: Thoros didn't resurrect Cat anyhow. He refused to do it. So, Beric passed the magic that kept him alive on to Cat. But cannoincally something must be sacrifficed for a resurrection... Only death can pay for life. This was true for Dany waking dragons from stone as well. Just a good bonfire without Drogo, MMD and Rhaego would not have done the trick.

How did Beric get brought back the first 6 times. No death paying for life that we know of.

34 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Mel may let Davos kill her for what she did with Stannis and Shireen. 

But Jon love red-headed women. And this is the perfect opportunity for Mel to make shadow babies.

Jk. But i'm serious on the former. Don't forget that Jon will be a darker character, he might as well bone Mel just because his love for red headed women.

I don't think so. She is distraught about being wrong. She is having a conflict of faith. She has poured so much into Stannis being the one. It is the first time that her visions in the show has been "wrong". She will realize that Jon is who she saw/needs and bring him back. She gets naked because this show needs a MA ritual.

7 minutes ago, Kevoncox said:

Spoiler

And each time Beric lost more of his memories and experience of life, and Thoros felt weakened each time too. He wasn't even sure himself he could survive a 7th time himself. And it was often done while many lost their lives (at Ruby Ford, in combat later, etc). TANSTAAFL

^lol they'd have to get their hands on Jon's body first. How would they get to CB in record time? How would they steal the body away? And why would they even want to do it? They'd have to know he exsists in the first place. Every character's face (dead or alive) is featured in that THOBAW promo. It's just to give off the general vibe of no one being safe.

Regarding the Targaryen armour in TOJ flashback...I'm glad they don't have them wear cloaks, which would be a dumb idea to do in a fight. And given that they're in hiding it makes sense they wouldn't be parading around in any ceremonial armour of the KG that would be easily recognised. Unless this is it and it just differs from dynasty to dynasty.

2 minutes ago, Khione said:

^lol they'd have to get their hands on Jon's body first. How would they get to CB in record time? How would they steal the body away? And why would they even want to do it? They'd have to know he exsists in the first place. Every character's face (dead or alive) is featured in that THOBAW promo. It's just to give off the general vibe of no one being safe.

Really?  How did they manage to get a complete and unrotted face of Ned Stark?

Regarding Mel sacrificing her life for Jon's... I wonder if her "visions" of herself meeting Arya again and walking the walls of Winterfell with burning banners are actually things Jon will be doing with the life force that Mel gave up to restore him. Alternately it was "all lies" and the belief that Arya is safe until at least after she meets Mel again is a false hope.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

Probably need to spoiler tag that

Hide contents

a) Didn't deny that Mel wants it, but Mel wanting it does not foreshadow she'll get her way

b ) on the latter, and where does it say that those bodies locked together in lust are Jon and Mel? Might be another woman, like Dany (her bleu rose + great winged shadow here). Sure, Mel might think it's herself, but her track record in interpretation is bad anyhow.

Mel doesn't think it's herself. She doesn't know what she saw. But going from "show me your king, your instrument"and then seeing a bunch of things that have to do with the NW and Jon like the skulls, showing us two people banging and then winged shadows.

these are all connected to each other. Mel said her magic is stronger at the Wall and has mentions whatever monstrosities she births here will be powerful. You can't just not show us that.

The winged shadows may just be the result of what Jon and Mel make together.

How do you use spoiler tags? 

8 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Mel doesn't think it's herself. She doesn't know what she saw. But going from "show me your king, your instrument"and then seeing a bunch of things that have to do with the NW and Jon like the skulls, showing us two people banging and then winged shadows.

these are all connected to each other. Mel said her magic is stronger at the Wall and has mentions whatever monstrosities she births here will be powerful. You can't just not show us that.

The winged shadows may just be the result of what Jon and Mel make together. 

How do you use spoiler tags? 

You click on the "eye" symbol.

Spoiler

As I said I would be careful with linking "what Mel wants" with "what Mel sees". I agree that George writes a lot of stuff that points to something, even basic tourney scenes are analogies to the past or foreshadowing. But when it comes to visions the person sees you also need to watch how George portrays the character dealing with their visions. So, for the moment I'm not convinced. But if you write a theory essay about it I might read it and change my mind.

7 hours ago, KissedByFireLovedByIce said:

3) The "woman" on the right may be Yara, but the woman on the left most definitely isn't. She has Melisandre's hair and body type and appears to be wearing a necklace similar to Mel's, although it's hard to see. The hair color is a little different, and I don't know about the jewelry but that could be lighting or a disguise. We don't know whether that is sunlight or firelight on them, and why shouldn't Melisandre be somewhere sunny? She can go wherever she pleases, and there are ten episodes in a season, after all, and Yara does have king's blood...

4) That's exactly why I said: "I don't recall Dayne fighting two-handed in the books, but it would translate well on-screen"

If I recall correctly didn't the series introduce another "Red Priestess" just before Tyrion was abducted by Jorah? kinda fuzzy but it's either that or its a bed slave/prostitute, but the hair ornament looks too costly.

Archived