George's next move

Lastofmany

Dear All,

I was thinking about what GRRM will put out next, concerning online book chapters.  Last year he published a Sansa chapter shortly before the TV 5'th season started. This was probably mostly motivated by the big changes the TV series was about to create concerning Sansa's plot in the books. Do you think this is likely to happen again this season? And if so, do you have any guesses what the POV character might be? I apologize in case this question was already discussed somewhere else and would like to ask for a link leading to this discussion. Lom

And the year before he released "Mercy". This year? No idea, but I think there won't be any new chapters released. But if he were to release one, and wanted to pick a PoV who's had their story completely changed by the show, he could just do a "eeny, meeny, miny, mo" because these are all different characters. 

I had mused on this possibility also, with a very optimistic hope that we may get a Jon/ghost so that we get the true version of events directly following Stabgate. 

But I admit this is unlikely. 

After much discussion it was agreed that IF he releases a chapter it is likely the Damphair one he offered to read  once, but which was rejected in favour of Arianne by the audience. 

Well, after seeing the new trailer for GoT, he may want to think about releasing a Mel or even Bran chapter to get out in front of the Tower of Joy/R+L=J as the trailer showed a young Ned Stark leading five other men and later fighting a dual-sword wielding (Arthur Dayne??) man wearing three-headed dragon armor.

Otherwise, in a few short weeks, the most talked about mystery of the whole series will be spoiled.

I don't remember what POV GRRM released before Mercy, but every time he released a chapter was to highlight a substantial difference/similarity to a scene that might have provoked a controversy.  At this point, the easiest guess would be Aeron since he already has this POV on ready. Another one would be a controversial scene - like Margaery, Tyrion/Barristan aka siege of Meereen

Actually, I suspect it would Tyrion, Barristan or Victarian POV, because I seem to remember now that the last POV released before Mercy,  was Arianne chapter and I remember feeling disappointed because that chapter was re-used (I think he read it several times before on conventions and it was summarized here). 

I sincerely doubt it would be - Jon-related, ToJ, or Dany's POVs, its just too spoilery and controversial even if they are posted after the said scene /episode is aired on HBO.

Because even if GRRM is upset about GOT spoiling his books, he can't blame D&D for that and he has too much respect for them to release the controversial chapter, and its not their fault he missed all his deadlines to release the book before this season.

Jon's resurrection I think would be too deep in the book for him to go release that, details are probably sufficiently different too. If the next Theon chapter deals with his survival then that might be a chance, as the show looks set to show him surviving and doing things, just such a chapter might give away too much peripheral stuff, for instance how Stannis intends to use the ground to his advantage.

Dany I don't think he cares to worry about getting in front of the show, is there anyone who doesn't assume she's coming out of VD with the whole Dothraki horde at her back?

If the next KL chapter is Cersei's trial I think that might be a chance, especially if the show is going the same trial route. He did kind of give that game away in the Mercy chapter anyway.

Can't think of anything else important that the show is likely to spoil, a Bran chapter a remote possibility, that'd be hype.

It'd be fun if he just released the Epilogue or semi-last chapter or something, with no preceeding context. We'd all go "Who is that guy and why is he suddenly the master of whisperers?" and "Uh, how did King's Landing fall to House Cobb?" or "Wait, there's a Stormlands Congressional Republic now?". Just a lot of changes, and no inbetween explanation. The fans would be howling with confused rage.

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

It'd be fun if he just released the Epilogue or semi-last chapter or something, with no preceeding context. We'd all go "Who is that guy and why is he suddenly the master of whisperers?" and "Uh, how did King's Landing fall to House Cobb?" or "Wait, there's a Stormlands Congressional Republic now?". Just a lot of changes, and no inbetween explanation. The fans would be howling with confused rage.

We the democratic congress of Stormland, Tarth and Dragonstone find it self evident that all men are born equal and some children of the forest as well. But not ibbenese, they are too hairy and vile.

He has cancelled as many engagements as he can for the next few month (years?) to focus on writing. There are some engagements that he just cannot cancel because of whatever stipulations and/or they were inked in three years ago. He won't even be at the the S6 GoT premiere in LA, according to his blog. If you read his blog then you will notice that more and more he has a minion of his making an entry or replying to comments, http://grrm.livejournal.com/

If he reads a chapter then I feel, as many do, that it will be the Aeron chapter. If I had a choice... 1) I don't want any more chapters because I'd rather have the book :drunk:, 2) I would want a Bran chapter because I am dying to know what happened to Jojen (if anything) and dying to know more about my main man Bloodraven.

George has stated to not believe "outside" sources about a Winds update or release date. That info will come from him on his blog. Which is why I check his blog more times a day than I have heartbeats. ^_^

On March 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM, SevasTra82 said:

Someone actually asked GRRM this question in a recent blog post and he commented (and I quote)...

"Maybe.  Though I've already released and/or read a lot of chapters".

Take that for what it's worth...

!!!!!

He's coming around. I really hope he reads a new one at Balticon! That would be so awesome~

Archived