Acrophilia #9

yomi

Because counting like normal people is boring and because unlike a shadow I rather like the number 9, I welcome everyone to the ninth game of Acrophilia :D

The Game and the Rules:

Short version (if you are an old player): There will be five rounds, each one with the same rules. There won't be free help, but you can purchase answers to yes/no-questions for 1 point per answer. You can vote for your favourite clue after being informed about the answers. No character names or nicknames are allowed in the clues, but I don’t mind references to sigils, house words or locations. If you want to join in, please, send me a PM entitled Acrophilia #9 <Your Board Name>.

Long version hidden below (if you are a new player or want more details for any reason):

Hide contents

- Send your host (me, yomi) a PM entitled Acrophilia #9 <Your Board Name>.

- In reply to the PM’s, I will send each player an ASOIAF character for which the player will create a clue and send it to me (via PM) before a given deadline. The clues will be based on a randomly generated acronym, which the player can choose from two options. (The acronym options will be the same for each player.) When creating the clue, the players should be careful to use references that describe only or mainly the given character (i.e. they must avoid references that work equally well for other characters, too). The clues must not contain character names or character nicknames. I have no objection to references to sigils, house words or place names. Please don't explain your clue to me, unless I ask you. If it is not clear to me even though I know which character it refers to, it's probably a very obscure clue. You are encouraged to send an explanation for your clue after I accepted it, which will be published in the list for the favourite clue voting.

- When all the clues are in, I will post them here without indicating the names of the authors. Then the players will have at least eight days to figure out the characters behind the clues and to guess the theme that the characters represent. The guesses will be sent to me via PM. (Potential answers must not be discussed on the thread.) The players may change their guesses before the deadline.

- I will use an answer purchase system, i.e., players may purchase answers to yes/no-questions, but each answer will cost one point. You can purchase as many answers as you want to. If you hesitate whether to purchase an answer or not, please, remember that I’m not sitting in front of the computer 24 hours a day, so allow me some time to find your request for a hint and to send you one. Actually, I advise you to give me a timeframe for answering. E.g.: "Is the theme "Dead characters"? Please don't answer this question if you only read the PM less than 12 hours before the deadline."

- After the deadline for the guesses has passed, I will post the answers to the clues, still without identifying the authors. Then players will have two days + to vote for their favourite clues before I reveal the authors and the scores, which is the end of the round.

- The game with consist of five rounds. The winner will be the player who gets the highest score.

Scoring System:

3 points for correctly guessing a clue (guessing points)

3 points for correctly guessing the theme, 1 points for being close (theme points)

I think my round 1, 3 and 4 themes are quiet easy, and in round 5 it will at least be easy to be close.

1 point for each player who guesses your clue correctly up to 4 points (author points)

1 point for each favourite clue vote your clue receives (favourite clue points)

3 points for voting for a favourite clue (voting point)

Answers: -1 point per answer (points spent)

-2 points per preliminary (more points spent)

Players:

1. Julia H.
  2. Night'sQueen
  3. Lady Blizzardborn
  4. Dolorous Gabe
  5. Ser Not Appearing
  6. not a shadow
  7. Castellan
  8. rocksniffer
  9. Fragile Bird
  10. lil' ghost
  11. She Who Must Be Obeyed

If you are interested, don’t hesitate to join the game.

You can sign in till Sunday, 27th March, 10 pm Monday, 28th March, 11pm Central European time.

I will hand out the first round's characters on Saturday, 19th March, 10 pm Central European time.

If you have ideas for improvements of the rules, feel free to discuss them (preferably before I hand out the characters).

Trust our registry officer to fill in the missing 9th game :D

yomi, am I right in understanding from your rules that we don't get prelims? The purchase of yes/no answers is essentially a replacement for prelims? I'm fine with it if so, just getting it all straight in my head.

This will be incredibly tough competition with additions of Night'sQueen and Julia (and Castellan too?).

I will send my PM shortly.

9 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

yomi, am I right in understanding from your rules that we don't get prelims? The purchase of yes/no answers is essentially a replacement for prelims? I'm fine with it if so, just getting it all straight in my head.

Tha's the plan, yes, unless too many people are not fine with it. You can of course send me a list and a question like "Are at least 7 of my characters correct?", but that will cost a point.

Can we ask any kind of yes/no questions? Can we ask, for example, "Is the answer to Clue 5 Stannis?" or can we only ask questions like "Is the answer to Clue 5 a king?" In other words, can we mention the name of the guessed character in the question?

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

Can we ask any kind of yes/no questions? Can we ask, for example, "Is the answer to Clue 5 Stannis?" or can we only ask questions like "Is the answer to Clue 5 a king?" In other words, can we mention the name of the guessed character in the question?

Both questions would be perfectly fine.

21 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I rather like having prelims and the ability to purchase hints (as I usually do not do well on prelims anyway), but I'm fine with trying a game without prelims as long as I can whittle away my guessing points on hints. ;)

I'm considering to let you purchase the classical "How many of these are right?"-prelims for two points, but my intention is more or less to give no free help.

Thanks for the answer, yomi!

Since there are quite a few days until we receive our characters, here is an ASOIAF riddle for everyone interested, to pass the time until Saturday:

Little brother, girlie name

Deadly, friendly, warm and kind

Last and only to remain

When all must be left behind.

Who or what am I?

If you want to guess the answer, just post your guess here in spoilers so that others don't have to see it if they don't want to. 

to a free shadow:

Spoiler

No, not really. The answer is something like a character or an object, but it has nothing to do with the idea of being the last of their line.

Archived