Acrophilia #9

yomi

Clues to my riddle. I guess I'll post this on the riddle page as well.

Its a 'what' not a who.

The first five words are key, the rest embroiders some more context.

Castellan, I just have to get this out of the way:

Spoiler

Front makes me think of buildings, so let me just be satisfied that it's not the Wall. :D Not sure why it would be "false", but it's a "front" not only in the sense of the 'front part of something' but also a front as in 'an area of fighting'. Furthermore, the "embroidery" seems to fit: The Wall / the Night's Watch is forgotten by most of the realm but is also remembered by some. The Wall is unknown because its magic is secret, yet it's familiar as one of the most famous buildings in the realm. So just tell me that I'm wrong so I can move on. :P

If I can make a second guess right away, I will also guess:

Spoiler

The False Spring. Spring is the first season of the year in our calendar at least, and that particular spring was "false", not real. I think the "embroidery" fits quite well.

Dolorous you have solved it, congratulations! 

Spoiler

'Dunk's arms that Brienne has painted on her shield at Duskendale?'  or actually I was just thinking of the whole shield once she has it repainted (a shield can be thought of as a front).

I am a false front but true 

created as a false identity and yet it is also in a sense a true one 

Forgotten yet remembered 
Duncan's shield is forgotten (most are dead who could possibly remember it, he replaced it with a white shield at a pretty young age, its forgotten in the armoury or shield hall at Tarth) yet remembered by Brienne who saw it in there

Unknown but familiar.
Brienne doesn't know its significance; but in relation to Brienne its 'familiar' as its a familial object.

Julia had some interesting unexpected takes on it.

Lady B gave me credit for more cunning than I possess.

:D

I suppose I should set one now. This might be too obvious but it gives someone else a chance to set one before we get our characters:

Ignoble, was our master.

Weeping, we were sliced.

Lucky, was our keeping.

Wistfully, we are lost.

Who or what are we?

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I don't do riddles but:

Hidden Content

Ser got it.

Spoiler

Davos' finger bones was indeed the answer.

Davos was a lowborn smuggler before Stannis knighted him.

In the same moment, his fingers were sliced off (weeping as a reference to slicing onions)

Davos kept the bones for luck.

Davos heavily laments losing them after the Blackwater Battle.

45 minutes ago, Castellan said:
  Hide contents

This is a wild guess based on 'slicing' ad ignotring the rest - the pages of the incredible rare book that Joffrey sliced up at the Purple wedding.

Clever idea but not the one I was going for.

On Friday, 11 March 2016 at 11:22 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

Do we get points for handsomeness?

Back to game rules, not riddles - Only if we can also get pity points for age and ugliness.

Re riddle - I will never get that. I know when I'm beat.

8 hours ago, Castellan said:

Re riddle - I will never get that. I know when I'm beat.

It might be a terrible riddle. I couldn't decide and posted it anyway.

Here's the thing: Most true riddles are rather vague and I often, upon seeing the answer, think them poorly formed. I tried my hand at that above.

Its not three separate people or things is it shadow?

Ser's sounds something like Petyr tempting Sansa to go to the Vale or Bloodraven telling Bran how great it is to sit in a cave and turn into a tree. But not those, obviously. Maybe its a prophecy in reverse or something. Like watch a sunset instead of watch a sunrise, see the world through older eyes instead of younger. Just a random thought, only kind I am getting right now.

Archived