Arya's Big Hit

Who do you think Arya is going to assassinate, and whose face is she going to use?

Two assumptions:

1. Arya is learning to be a Faceless Man for a reason: A major part of her story's endgame is going to be an assassination where she changes her face.

2. Her climatic target is going to be someone major, not just a corrupt insurance agent or a depraved sellsword. She's going to kill someone not only significant to herself, but significant to the overall story.

There are lots of other variables to consider. Will she still be a Faceless Man? Will she reunite with her family or be the lone wolf? What about with Nymeria and her pack? Will she target someone the readers consider to be a "bad guy?"

What do you think? (I've got some ideas but I'll leave them out of the OP.)

I think she will kill Cersei using Tommen's face.

Cersei has been a major antagonist in Arya's story since the beginning. There's a reason Cersei is always atop Arya's kill list. Cersei has arguably caused more harm to House Stark than anyone. There are other major "bad guys" she could kill (Walder Frey, Roose Bolton,)  but Cersei is the only one major enough for a fitting climax for Arya.

This of course assumes that the Valonqar is Tommen, but considering that the prophecy was responding to Cersei's question about her children, it's not that far of a stretch. And if Tommen has already received his golden shroud, there are only two ways it could work: Wightified Tommen or Faceless Man "Tommen."

Cersei's position as Queen relies on her children. I posit that when Tommen dies, Cersei will keep it a secret in order to not relinquish her hold on power. Thus Cersei's guards will think nothing suspicious about letting "Tommen" into Cersei's inner sanctum.

7 minutes ago, SerLinginBerry said:

Winter will be her climatic target

Maybe she'll acquire a Valyrian Steel blade (Dark Sister?) and use it to kill the Night's King, but Needle has been such a huge part of her story that I can't imagine it not being what she uses for her climatic kill.

46 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

Who do you think Arya is going to assassinate, and whose face is she going to use?

Two assumptions:

1. Arya is learning to be a Faceless Man for a reason: A major part of her story's endgame is going to be an assassination where she changes her face.

2. Her climatic target is going to be someone major, not just a corrupt insurance agent or a depraved sellsword. She's going to kill someone not only significant to herself, but significant to the overall story.

There are lots of other variables to consider. Will she still be a Faceless Man? Will she reunite with her family or be the lone wolf? What about with Nymeria and her pack? Will she target someone the readers consider to be a "bad guy?"

What do you think? (I've got some ideas but I'll leave them out of the OP.)

Daenerys Targaryen

4 minutes ago, Whomping.Willow said:

She will kill Dany , put on her face and then marry Jon and end up as queen of seven kingdoms :P

Cool, disturbing and worthy of GRRM. I hope it is true.

I think Arya is with the FM more as a holding pattern and to learn transferable skills (deception, misinformation, languages, ability to spot lies, etc.) or possibly to introduce the FM's real agenda, rather than to be an assassin per se. But, to accept your assumptions, I would say Walder Frey is the most likely after the trauma of the Red Wedding. With any plausible target except Dany, she would be acting without the FM's authorisation, as she would 'know' them all. Even then, I expect it would be too close to home for the FM to pick her if they had other options, especially given her constant refusal to be Nobody.

3 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

I think Arya is with the FM more as a holding pattern and to learn transferable skills (deception, misinformation, languages, ability to spot lies, etc.) or possibly to introduce the FM's real agenda, rather than to be an assassin per se. But, to accept your assumptions, I would say Walder Frey is the most likely after the trauma of the Red Wedding. With any plausible target except Dany, she would be acting without the FM's authorisation, as she would 'know' them all. Even then, I expect it would be too close to home for the FM to pick her if they had other options, especially given her constant refusal to be Nobody.

With the exception of Walder Frey, this sums it up. 

6 hours ago, TOM of the North said:

Daenerys Targaryen

The Iron Bank has been investing in the overthrow of the Lannisters. But Daenerys is not one of their investments. If Dany wins the throne the IB will not get its money back. Hence Daenerys Morgulis... Dany must die!

But what if Arya refuses to kill Dany? Then Arya needs to destroy the faceless men... 

I  have a feeling that the IB will employ their assassination division by having Arya kill Tommen. Maybe she'll kill Cersei after that but I think Tommen will be the main target. Arya is familiar with Kingslanding and knows a secret way in having followed Varys and Illyrio. It's said when princes don't pay their debts to the IB, new princes take their place. 

8 hours ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

Maybe she'll acquire a Valyrian Steel blade (Dark Sister?) and use it to kill the Night's King, but Needle has been such a huge part of her story that I can't imagine it not being what she uses for her climatic kill.

I was being an ass. Winter...climate...climatic. I had a little chuckle.

9 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

Yeah, agreed.  I don't think she's really meant to stay with the FM. It's something for her to do while she ages, plus like you said, to gain a particular set of skills.

If the five year gap would have happened, I see her first chapter as leaving the FM. I'm also in the camp of her returning to via the North, with Nymeria and her super pack meeting her up there. Plus, if Dark Sister is for her, which Needle is preparing her for, it's up North with Bloodraven.

Killing Kings and Queens is hardly a fitting job for the newest, freshest, greenest assassin they have. If they intend to kill Tommen, I don't see why they wouldn't send someone with some experience.

That said, I don't think that the Faceless Men will order her to kill anyone big; she's been treading a dangerous line, toying with them the way she is. She doesn't intend to become no one, and I don't think she ever will. I hardly think that the Faceless Men will be pleased with this; I certainly don't think that they'll reward her for her disloyalty by sending her home. I suspect they'll kill her, or at least attempt to. Ancient guilds of assassins aren't generally happy to be deceived from within, nor are they people to toy with lightly.

10 hours ago, Whomping.Willow said:

She will kill Dany , put on her face and then marry Jon and end up as queen of seven kingdoms :P

Lmao. I think I heard this on a podcast once. 

Archived