Arya's Big Hit

5 hours ago, MGraham said:

She'll be asked to kill someone who will test her loyalty. My guess is Jon, she's had a special connection with him from day 1 with him giving her needle. She'll stick him with the pointy end.

Her loyalty has already been tested, IMO. She was supposed to give up all of her belongings and she didn't. She hid needle instead of throwing it away. She failed. She will never truly become no one and the FM know that, they've said as much, but they keep training her anyway for some mysterious reason.

On 3/12/2016 at 8:38 AM, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

Who do you think Arya is going to assassinate, and whose face is she going to use?

Two assumptions:

1. Arya is learning to be a Faceless Man for a reason: A major part of her story's endgame is going to be an assassination where she changes her face.

2. Her climatic target is going to be someone major, not just a corrupt insurance agent or a depraved sellsword. She's going to kill someone not only significant to herself, but significant to the overall story.

There are lots of other variables to consider. Will she still be a Faceless Man? Will she reunite with her family or be the lone wolf? What about with Nymeria and her pack? Will she target someone the readers consider to be a "bad guy?"

What do you think? (I've got some ideas but I'll leave them out of the OP.)

Hmm I have to agree with others who suggest that she isn't necessarily there for that. I have a strong feeling that as her wolf dreams become stronger and she gets news of her brothers and sister (I think she will); I think she will leave and use what she learned to aid her family. Then again this could be wishful thinking on my part because i really hate her part in the story now. 

But for sake of argument...could you imagine how she would react if she got word that Jon was stabbed? She may become unhinged. I know she loves her family, but Jon was her special person. 

If they was an option and let's forget prophesies etc for a moment,  I would say Cersei, Walder, and Roose. 

4 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

It just hit me: she strangles Cersei while wearing Tyrion's face. Maggy sees this but doesn't realize that it's not the real Tyrion, so the Valonquar is and is not true simultaneously.

Is it possible to wear a living person's face? Would Arya need to kill Tyrion for this scenario to work? In which case, I'd say Tyrion would be the "bigger" kill.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Sept Sev said:

I think Arya is with the FM more as a holding pattern and to learn transferable skills (deception, misinformation, languages, ability to spot lies, etc.) or possibly to introduce the FM's real agenda, rather than to be an assassin per se.

Not to mention, she's growing up. By the time she returns to Westeros she won't need to change faces. No one will recognize her. She'll have learned how to blend into the crowd. When she leaves, she'll be pretty well set to be a fun read.

3 hours ago, shadows and dust said:

Not to mention, she's growing up. By the time she returns to Westeros she won't need to change faces. No one will recognize her. She'll have learned how to blend into the crowd. When she leaves, she'll be pretty well set to be a fun read.

Actually this isn't true. Arya has the stark look and Ned told her that she looked like Lyanna. I bet lots of people in the North would recognize the stark look. I think Jon was recognized as having it by Mance (?)

Also I'm sure a few people remember what Lyanna looked like. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, MLR said:

In order for GRRM to surprise us, it would not make sense to have a chapter with Arya traveling back to Westeros. Arya has to simply appear in Westeros just like how Stannis suddenly appears north of the Wall.

Yes, I like this idea. The last we will hear from Arya will involve her training as a FM still over in Braavos. Then there will be a large gap between that chapter and a reappearance presumably due to her traveling back to Westeros. She then may make an appearance towards the end in someone else's POV or even the Epilogue where she will be taking on someone close to them as a FM and kill them.

My guesses would be

• Portraying Tommen or Jaime to kill Cersei
  • Portraying some random Frey to kill Walder

18 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

Actually this isn't true. Arya has the stark look and Ned told her that she looked like Lyanna. I bet lots of people in the North would recognize the stark look. I think Jon was recognized as having it by Mance (?)

Also I'm sure a few people remember what Lyanna looked like. 

What? Seriously? 

You have a girl no one has seen in a couple years, who has endured a tough life since the last time she was seen, and is a developing, growing child. You have a girl no one is looking for, who is assumed dead.  You think she's going to stick out? North or no, she'll blend into the crowd. Because of course she would, anyone would.

If she ran up to Jon or Sansa, hugged them and said she's Arya, sure they'd see it. But she's not getting outed without blowing her cover otherwise. That's not how the world works.

16 minutes ago, shadows and dust said:

What? Seriously? 

You have a girl no one has seen in a couple years, who has endured a tough life since the last time she was seen, and is a developing, growing child. You have a girl no one is looking for, who is assumed dead.  You think she's going to stick out? North or no, she'll blend into the crowd. Because of course she would, anyone would.

If she ran up to Jon or Sansa, hugged them and said she's Arya, sure they'd see it. But she's not getting outed without blowing her cover otherwise. That's not how the world works.

I'm not saying that she would stick out wherever she went. I'm saying that she has a resemblance to a famous person, Lyanna Stark, and it will likely come into play. 

24 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

I'm not saying that she would stick out wherever she went. I'm saying that she has a resemblance to a famous person, Lyanna Stark, and it will likely come into play. 

Agree. And it's not like 17 years will have passed and she's now 30 or something. Also agree with what you said before; Mance did spot Jon's Starkness, and depending on where she goes the same will happen. 

And as someone mentioned up thread, I think we may get an unlikely character turning up unexpectedly. Maybe Dareon. 

9 hours ago, shadows and dust said:

What? Seriously? 

Not that this matters, but If you watched S1, missed S2-5, and then picked up in S6.....People would most likely think the Night's King is about to kill a wildling in northern armor. In other words, the kid playing Bran looks completely different now. 

Now that doesn't mean this would apply to Martin's world,  but several people did not recognize her in KL in GoT, so.. 

Having said that, everybody at Winterfell seemed to be fooled with Jeyne Poole. It is entirely conceivable that most people in Westeros will just see a girl who looks rough around the edges and pass on. We make a "big deal" of Lyanna Stark because of the focus on her in GoT. But for the average Westerosi one dark haired girl is the same as another. 

Also look to the Vale. Sansa has gone largely undetected as well, so... 

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Agree. And it's not like 17 years will have passed and she's now 30 or something. Also agree with what you said before; Mance did spot Jon's Starkness, and depending on where she goes the same will happen. 

At 30 I looked more like my 13 year old self than at 13 I looked like a 9 year old.

She was like 9/10 when anyone living in Westeros who matters, saw her. She comes back she could be a teenager. Body development, hard life... She's getting recognized because she has "stark features"? Nope, don't buy it.

One thing I do know is that she needs to get back to Westwros. Maybe the Faceless Men will have her spy on Dany and the dragons, and she'll get to Westeros that way. As for her big hit: it could be Cersie, the Aegon/Griff character (and wouldn't it be ironic if he fell in love with her?), the Other Night King dude, or Dany herself. Or maybe she won't kill someone important and she'll do something else that will be extremely important in the end game. 

7 hours ago, shadows and dust said:

At 30 I looked more like my 13 year old self than at 13 I looked like a 9 year old.

She was like 9/10 when anyone living in Westeros who matters, saw her. She comes back she could be a teenager. Body development, hard life... She's getting recognized because she has "stark features"? Nope, don't buy it.

If she's a teenager chances are she has an even bigger chance of being recognized as looking like Lyanna. In Bran's vision in ADWD, he couldnt tell the difference between kid Lyanna and Arya. So that means that they both looked the same as kids. Meaning Lyanna became more beautiful after she flowered/went through puberty. The same thing is happening to Arya. She will have Lyanna's "wild beauty".

Arya will kill Varys.  Her training is beyond his.  Varys was training simply as a mummer, whereas Arya is trained as a mummer and so much more.

Arya overhears Varys and Ilyrio in AGOT talk about killing her father and even then manages to follow them without being heard.

She knows some of the passages of the Red keep, and is small enough to move easily through the others.

Varys will never get a POV, so being killed by a POV is the readers best chance at getting a big reveal of some kind from him.

On 3/14/2016 at 10:55 PM, Joan Jett said:

Her loyalty has already been tested, IMO. She was supposed to give up all of her belongings and she didn't. She hid needle instead of throwing it away. She failed. She will never truly become no one and the FM know that, they've said as much, but they keep training her anyway for some mysterious reason.

I am of the opinion that becoming a FM is not so much about completely ridding oneself of one's past, but actually about being able to forget one's past on a need-to basis in order to accomplish a goal/mission. Secondly there is also emphasis on how Arya needs to be able to not only be able to tell when someone is lieing, but also be able to lie so that others cannot tell. Could it be that Arya not only becomes a FM but is also able to keep/hide her identity deep within? Maybe the meaning behind "letting go of Arya" is really about being able to put her past aside when she needs to (e.g. she got sidetracked by killing others when she was supposed to kill someone else). I.e. she is not able to focus just yet. As for what you posted, I actually think this is precisely the setup for her to have her climactic ending in Winterfell.

Back to the OP -- I think Arya may have a major role in the restoration of Winterfell, or at least ridding it of the Boltons (or perhaps just Roose and/or Ramsey).

Archived