Arya's Big Hit

On 15.3.2016 at 8:07 PM, Joan Jett said:

Actually this isn't true. Arya has the stark look and Ned told her that she looked like Lyanna. I bet lots of people in the North would recognize the stark look. I think Jon was recognized as having it by Mance (?)

Also I'm sure a few people remember what Lyanna looked like. 

There is no fotos and rarely any pictures. Most of the people who knew Lyanna first hand are dead now, after winterfell was sacked. Nobody would recognize Arya in the North with the exemption of some old lords maybe. None of the smallfolk ever would.

On 15.3.2016 at 2:36 AM, Light a wight tonight said:

It just hit me: she strangles Cersei while wearing Tyrion's face. Maggy sees this but doesn't realize that it's not the real Tyrion, so the Valonquar is and is not true simultaneously.

Or Arya wearing Jaimie's face. That would be a perfect ending. Cersai getting nekkid for her beloved Jamie and then - strike. Of course Arya would need to reveal herself before she finishes the business. Last words to Cersai: That's for Bran, pervert.

13 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

There is no fotos and rarely any pictures. Most of the people who knew Lyanna first hand are dead now, after winterfell was sacked. Nobody would recognize Arya in the North with the exemption of some old lords maybe. None of the smallfolk ever would.

I'm not talking about smallfolk? Though Arya did hang out with a lot of peasant kids when she lived in Winterfell, so there could be something to that. 

Anyway the Stark look is recognizable. As I stated, Mance recognized Jon by it. I'm pretty sure Mance isn't the only person in the North to now what the Starks looked like. 

Some "old lords" recognizing Arya could be very significant. Especially if those lords are Stark supporters. 

4 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Or Arya wearing Jaimie's face. That would be a perfect ending. Cersai getting nekkid for her beloved Jamie and then - strike. Of course Arya would need to reveal herself before she finishes the business. Last words to Cersai: That's for Bran, pervert.

Arya has the body of a 11/12 year old girl. Why does everyone insist that she could take the face of Tyrion or Jaime and be able to pull it off?

On 3/15/2016 at 3:07 PM, Joan Jett said:

Actually this isn't true. Arya has the stark look and Ned told her that she looked like Lyanna. I bet lots of people in the North would recognize the stark look. I think Jon was recognized as having it by Mance (?)

Also I'm sure a few people remember what Lyanna looked like. 

Yeah!! I real that Arya is the closest resemblance to Lyanna. The older she gets the more she will look like her.

16 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Everyone? Insist? 

I've seen this theory and theories like this a lot across online fansites. Obviously not "everyone" thinks like this, but a whole lot of people seem to.

22 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

I've seen this theory and theories like this a lot across online fansites. Obviously not "everyone" thinks like this, but a whole lot of people seem to.

I agree. She can change her face, not her body. At present the only way she could convincingly portray a male is if he were about the same age, just before puberty. Tommen fits, Jaime and Tyrion don't.

With the way Mercy went, Arya becoming adept with disguises and having pretended to be a boy before, I think Lyn Corbray is a strong candidate for getting the needle treatment. He has Sandor's sword which Sansa is going to bestow on him, maybe Arya is the one to fetch it for Sansa.

13 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

With the way Mercy went, Arya becoming adept with disguises and having pretended to be a boy before, I think Lyn Corbray is a strong candidate for getting the needle treatment. He has Sandor's sword which Sansa is going to bestow on him, maybe Arya is the one to fetch it for Sansa.

I like your theory about the swords, but I'm thinking the Vale is where Tyrion will head when he gets back to Westeros and I don't think he and Arya would go to the same place.  Lyn was one of the people who volunteered to champion Lysa against Tyrion back in AGOT and Tyrion made note of it.

On 3/26/2016 at 9:48 AM, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

I agree. She can change her face, not her body. At present the only way she could convincingly portray a male is if he were about the same age, just before puberty. Tommen fits, Jaime and Tyrion don't.

Well for one...Not all women have the same size... and develop at the same time, so.. Even then, if a bullet proof vest can hide a woman's breast, so can armor. There are plenty of ways to mask her body for this to be possible. 

It is not as if Arya would waltz in wearing Tyrion's face and while wearing a Bravosi bikini.... 

Very loose clothing and a light plate would function well enough. Besides....who said she had to kill Cersei in the middle of KL or at Court in the middle of the day? Even Tyrion would have to enter the city fully cloaked to save himself. Arya could enter at night when  foot traffic is low. If she is tall enough, she could pass off as Jaime (again cloaked) especially if the current guard is green and only heard stories of Jaime. If this was GoT where everyone at KL knew Jaime...yes that would be a problem. But this is WoW/DoS and most of those people have either died or moved elsewhere. It is quite feasible that someone who only saw Jaime or Tyrion but once or twice, if at all, could take for granted that the person was either of the two. Also at night with few guards, if someone approached Arya, she could likely knock them off and hide them without setting off an alarm too soon. I am not suggesting any of this will happen, but let's not pretend that these people were using facebook and can view updated images by the second.... 

Even in early modern Europe, people relied on paintings to see their betrothed, but often when that person arrived they looked completely different. Now before the rise of geometrical shapes in painting and perspectives (the Renaissance), what do you think a medieval painting of Lyanna Stark would resemble? Probably a cartoonish woman with dark hair wearing something that is reflective of House Stark. I doubt anyone would recognize Arya in the south. Perhaps the north, but I think we are reading too much into the Lyanna comparison. I personally think Martin uses that to give us a descriptive marker for his characters. 

For Americans, if someone suggested that Prince William had the likeness of his father (pre-tech), most people would not recognize him even if he stood in front of you. Conversely, if one suggested that Bush's daughters look like their mother....that means very little to people in the UK. Again pre-tech. We recognize certain public figures now because we see them all the time. For Englishmen/women, if you are in a pub or anywhere and W. Rooney walks in....most people will recognize him. For Americans, if you are somewhere and Michael Jordan walks in...you will recognize him. But how many of us would recognize people who we have heard a great deal about, but never seen? 

On 23.3.2016 at 11:29 PM, Joan Jett said:

I'm not talking about smallfolk? Though Arya did hang out with a lot of peasant kids when she lived in Winterfell, so there could be something to that. 

Anyway the Stark look is recognizable. As I stated, Mance recognized Jon by it. I'm pretty sure Mance isn't the only person in the North to now what the Starks looked like. 

Some "old lords" recognizing Arya could be very significant. Especially if those lords are Stark supporters. 

There is not any of the lords - or for that matter smallfolk - present at the wedding feast of Ramsey and Arya doubting that "Arya" is in fact Arya. People are dying for the false Arya believing it was the true one. The smallfolk that used to live in winterfell or wintertown is gone entirely now.

There is simply nobody who would recognize her if she was wandering the north in simple cloth making no reference to her heritage.

7 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

There is not any of the lords - or for that matter smallfolk - present at the wedding feast of Ramsey and Arya doubting that "Arya" is in fact Arya. People are dying for the false Arya believing it was the true one. The smallfolk that used to live in winterfell or wintertown is gone entirely now.

There is simply nobody who would recognize her if she was wandering the north in simple cloth making no reference to her heritage.

Mance would for sure. We already know that because he recognized Jon as having the stark look. Both Jon and Arya have the Stark look. And Mance probably isn't the only one who would recognize it. 

Edit: Jon was also recognized by Craster as having "the look of a Stark". Obviously he's no longer alive, but it's telling that he knows the stark look. 

3 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

Mance would for sure. We already know that because he recognized Jon as having the stark look. Both Jon and Arya have the Stark look. And Mance probably isn't the only one who would recognize it. 

So there is the one in a million chance that she stumbles across Mance (who presumably bought Jeyne Poole for a stark girl, too!) then. And even then. After eight thousend years there should be thousands of bastard boys and girls running around in the north having their roots in the stark familiy. Brandon allone should have fathered some and his granddaughters would propably look like Arya.

3 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

Edit: Jon was also recognized by Craster as having "the look of a Stark". Obviously he's no longer alive, but it's telling that he knows the stark look. 

But Mance also went to Winterfell during King Robert's visit, so he would have easily heard about the Stark children. That and their attire would have given them away. Since he lay in the "shadows" Mance would have picked up any subtle conversation about the bastard of Winterfell, particularly from the Lannister men. It wasn't as if Mance and Jon bumped into each other on the Fist and Mance was "Hey you must be a Stark since you have black hair". 

If Arya went marching around with Nymeria....ok...that might be a dead give away. Or Bran carried by Hodor with Summer? Yep give away. But a girl wandering in rags? Sansa is sitting in the Vale and "nobody" knows who she is, and she was the face of KL for a short time. 

Besides. If it were this easy to "uncover" one's identity, don't you think the FM would have failed long ago? 

34 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

But Mance also went to Winterfell during King Robert's visit, so he would have easily heard about the Stark children. That and their attire would have given them away. Since he lay in the "shadows" Mance would have picked up any subtle conversation about the bastard of Winterfell, particularly from the Lannister men. It wasn't as if Mance and Jon bumped into each other on the Fist and Mance was "Hey you must be a Stark since you have black hair". 

If Arya went marching around with Nymeria....ok...that might be a dead give away. Or Bran carried by Hodor with Summer? Yep give away. But a girl wandering in rags? Sansa is sitting in the Vale and "nobody" knows who she is, and she was the face of KL for a short time. 

Besides. If it were this easy to "uncover" one's identity, don't you think the FM would have failed long ago? 

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Jon has been recognized as a Stark twice because of his looks. Jon and Arya have the same features, so it's not far fetched to say that She could possibly be recognized too. 

Also Mance wasn't the only person in the North to ever see the Stark children. There are other people who would recognize the stark look. Numerous people in the North. There's also the fact that Arya resembles Lyanna greatly, this was emphasized in AGOT and ADWD. Once she grows up a little more she will most likely have Lyanna's "wild beauty" that she was remembered for. Even Kevan remembers what Lyanna looked like. No doubt other people all over Westeros do too. 

And the Stark hair color is brown, not black. 

18 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Jon has been recognized as a Stark twice because of his looks. Jon and Arya have the same features, so it's not far fetched to say that She could possibly be recognized too. 

Also Mance wasn't the only person in the North to ever see the Stark children. There are other people who would recognize the stark look. Numerous people in the North. There's also the fact that Arya resembles Lyanna greatly, this was emphasized in AGOT and ADWD. Once she grows up a little more she will most likely have Lyanna's "wild beauty" that she was remembered for. Even Kevan remembers what Lyanna looked like. No doubt other people all over Westeros do too. 

And the Stark hair color is brown, not black. 

Oh  I understand that, but my point is that I think we are making too much of the Arya/Lyanna descriptions. My opinion is that Martin uses that for our benefit, not necessarily something that Westerosi understand. 

But it still doesn't explain why so many people bought the Poole bluff and have no idea who Sansa is. Think about it, wasn't Sansa described as resembling a Tully, yet none of the people in the Vale know who she is? Especially the one Tully (even if deranged) in the Vale? If Arya is so easily spotted, so should her sister, and so should an imposture, neither were. 

I buy that someone who has spent a lot of time around her or had personal contact with her would recognize her. I don't buy that some random petty lord or commoner is going to recognize a girl they only heard tales of. The guards in KL didn't recognize her. She wonders around FB and nobody recognizes her. But considering this topic is generally about Arya potentially killing Cersei, I doubt some random winterfell resident is going to be sitting with Cersei when Arya (IF she does) arrives, and then "Oh look Arya Stark is here"....Unless you are suggesting that she waltzes in Westeros wearing Stark garments, dressed as a Lady of Winterfell, etc..

Also---any attack would be "unexpected"...so it isn't as if Cersei or any other potential victims is waiting for Arya Stark to arrive...especially since nobody knows where she is. 

I do t think that Arya could be "easily spotted". Just that she could be recognized in the North, since her brother who looks just like her has been recognized as a Stark. 

Arya's resemblance to Lyanna will be important. In Bran's vision he couldn't even tell them apart. His visions are meant to mean something. The author was reminding us of something we learned back in the first book. I don't think I'm making too much of anything.

11 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

I do t think that Arya could be "easily spotted". Just that she could be recognized in the North, since her brother who looks just like her has been recognized as a Stark. 

Arya's resemblance to Lyanna will be important. In Bran's vision he couldn't even tell them apart. His visions are meant to mean something. The author was reminding us of something we learned back in the first book. I don't think I'm making too much of anything.

Yes of course Bran would; it is his sister and his childhood was probably bombarded with tales of Lyanna, her personality, and her image. But again I think those descriptions are for us, and some in the north might recognize her, which I fully expect if a Stark resurgence is to occur. Obviously someone has to recognize them. But is this relevant in terms of an assassination attempt? I thought the inital rejection of Arya killing Cersei with a Tyrion face is based on the idea that people would recognize her? If that is the case, that would occur in the south, not the north. ...And I presume Arya would carefully conceal her entire identity. 

Archived