Justin Massey

dariopatke

Was it smart sending him to hire mercenaries? He is ambitious and wants his land back. It wouldnt surprise me if he took the money and gave it to Cersei in exchange for pardon. Richard Horpe would be better for the job.

It was smart thing that Stannis said he migh marry Asha, so that was something that can keep him close to Stannis' cause, but what if he dies or Justin hears of his false death? I dount Shireen will let him marry Asha or so would he think, less risk would be defecting to Cersei.

I think if it comes to it, Massey will be more loyal to Stannis than Horpe. But if it was smart to send him to Braavos. No, that i think not. Since Massey is ambitious, like you said, i can see him going to the Reach to face-off against Euron Greyjoy or going to the Iron Isles to kill Erik Ironmaker. 

Well, Stannis thinks of him as pretty loyal and he probably is right. Most of the men that are still with him are loyal, otherwise they would still be in the Stormlands, where everyone was pardoned. He is ambitious, but I don't see him going against the will of Stannis and trying to use the mercenaries on his own to gain some fame.

On 15.03.2016 at 0:13 AM, dariopatke said:

Was it smart sending him to hire mercenaries? He is ambitious and wants his land back. It wouldnt surprise me if he took the money and gave it to Cersei in exchange for pardon. Richard Horpe would be better for the job.

He wouldn't be fucking with Stannis Baratheon, he would be fucking with the Iron Bank of Braavos. And for that, there's no pardon.

All things considered Massey seems as loyal as you could ask for. Despite thinking the march was doomed he argued against taking the Braavos job, saying that he should stay by Stannis' side, or that Stannis himself should go instead, and not giving up the point even after Stannis got snappy with him. If he wanted an easy way to ditch his king he had a (literal) golden opportunity, but didn't want to take it. 

Archived