Rugby IV - Striking Hookers Are Back In Fashion

Which Tyler

On 20/03/2018 at 6:33 AM, The Number 10 said:

What do folks think about Italy? 

Should there be relegation from the 6 Nations?

Italy is not going to improve except by playing stronger sides (Argentina plays a similar role in the Southern Hemisphere).

Relegation will never happen. France, Wales, and Scotland have all won the wooden spoon since Italy were added, and for any of them to get relegated would bugger up both tradition and marketing (England vs Georgia doesn't have quite the same draw as England vs Wales).

14 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Relegation will never happen. France, Wales, and Scotland have all won the wooden spoon since Italy were added, and for any of them to get relegated would bugger up both tradition and marketing (England vs Georgia doesn't have quite the same draw as England vs Wales).

I think probably the only way the likes of Georgia or Romania could get into the tournament would be if it became the Seven Nations instead, and it would probably be difficult to fit another match into the schedule.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think probably the only way the likes of Georgia or Romania could get into the tournament would be if it became the Seven Nations instead, and it would probably be difficult to fit another match into the schedule.

I think the only way things will change is expanding to 8 nations, and splitting in 2, either geographically (Isles and Continental) or divisional. I can't see either as particularly likely.

Otherwise we need to see Georgia/Romania actually beating 6N sides reasonably regularly, and certainly staying ahead of them in the world rankings for a lengthy period of time. As it is, Georgia are ahead of Italy, but I wouldn't expect them to win a match on neutral ground.

Promotion and relegation is too risky for the cartel at the top (which basically funds rugby worldwide); whilst there's no space for a play-off fixture; and no need to throw anyone to the wolves in the unsubstantiated hopes that Georgia could do better.

It's unfair, and I would prefer promotion/relegation; but it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent set of European quarters so far. It’s good to see a Welsh side in the semis for the first time in a while and the Scarlets are a good side to watch too.

Oddly I feel a bit sorry for Toulon for perhaps the first time ever. They were clearly the better side away in Ireland and they got a bit screwed by the officials. Zebo pretty clearly slapped the ball out at the start of the game for what should have been a penalty try and a yellow. It took some mental gymnastics not to give it then they end up losing by a point.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they don't ditch relegation, it would be the end of the Championship. I like the Championship and there are a lot of good teams there.

Edit: Maybe ditch the Anglo-Welsh cup and move to a 14-team Premiership, keeping relegation?

Edt2: The day they ring fence is the day I stop renewing my season ticket, regardless of which side of the guillotine we end up on.

The year they ring fence the Prem is the year I stop having any interest in the Prem.

If you absolutely have to ring-fence, then put it between the fully professional clubs, and the amateurs, so protecting 20-odd clubs. In turn, the Champ would need proper funding and a proper TV deal narrowing the gap between the two; including a cup competition (expanded AWC) that covers both Prem and Champ, with a limit on how experienced the Prem teams can be.

I'd still rather not ring-fence, but if it HAS to happen, then we should extort a high price from the clubs being protected, and work to the betterment of England, and the spread of the game.

8 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

There's a rule that Bristol fans are not allowed to be happy for more than about 5 minutes.

https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/club-to-enter-exciting-new-era-as-bristol-bears/

Too late to be an April fools joke. :(

On the plus side, it looks like Exeter may be losing theirs.

In think it's to do with the new American money coming in, everyone's trying to Americanise so that they can grab some of those lovely $$$. So franchise names, ant anti-competitive practices (ring fencing) are the go to. How long before we get longer breaks in play and cheerleaders?

So Excited looking to become "Athletic" (but keeping the racist logo, chop, headdresses etc, just the name that'll be different), Gloucester to become the Lions for some reason, and Bristol to become the Bears - not sure yet if they mean the children's cuddly sort, or the hairy male variety. Only a matter of time before Bath look again at "Romans" or "Gladiators" (thankfully not mentioned in dispathpches yet).

For Bristol specifically, I'd have thought Blues would be a better fit... just as alliterative, whilst Bristol is famous for its Blue glassware, and that Blue has always been (one of) the principal club colours. Failing that, I'd have gone for Buccaneers, given their naval traditions. Mind you, avoiding reference to Bristol's naval traditions in the WIndies might also be considered a good call in attracting $$$.

I also like that, for Bristol, you're introducing letters back into the numbers on the back of shirts.

Google "Bristol Bears" and you get a city centre gay bar. I dunno if anyone at the club tried it before the rebranding was decided upon, I'm guessing not. And as for our naval traditions, I don't think "Bristol Slavetraders" would go down too well.

For Bath I prefer "Mats" or "Sponges"

3 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Google "Bristol Bears" and you get a city centre gay bar. I dunno if anyone at the club tried it before the rebranding was decided upon, I'm guessing not. And as for our naval traditions, I don't think "Bristol Slavetraders" would go down too well.For Bath I prefer "Mats" or "Sponges"

With James Dyson's patronage... Bath Suckers?

So whether or not England can pick Brad Shields for the South Africa tour seems to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest.

It appears New Zealand have been having dual qualified players who don't already have international caps for other countries sign contracts which say they're only available for New Zealand while they play for Kiwi Super Rugby sides which seems a little dubious to me. On top of that Steve Tew came out and said England couldn't pick him despite the fact that he's clearly not going to play for New Zealand at this stage and it really doesn't make a massive difference since there's no competitive Hurricanes games during the international window and he's moving to Wasps next season anyway. It all seems a bit petty.

Anyway, Shields has asked for special dispensation from the NZRU to be available for selection for England.

Archived