Person of Interest - Only 13 Episodes Left [SPOILERS]

lady narcissa

I thought it was a really good finale.  I like that John and the Machine "had a agreement."  I was a little surprised that both FInch and Fusco survived gut wounds, but very happy to see Finch reuniting with Grace.  I would have been pretty pissed had that not happened. 

I agree with you guys. It was a good, fitting end for a pretty great show. Not the best show ever by any stretch, but still damn good; especially after it hit its stride around season 2 or 3.

I don't know what to think about the Machine rebooting at the end though. It gives me a ray of hope that the show could come back at some time in some form or another. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'd love to get more PoI, but on the other - I think it would be hard to capture the same magic. Especially without John, and presumably Finch.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a trance!  With that music, and the meaning of life discussions during gunfire, and "is this now?" while everything is hanging in the balance.   I liked it but it was like watching television in the hospital while hooked up to one of those intravenous drips that makes everything hazy.   They made the show's last moments mimic the fading consciousness of the dying machine.  Kinky fun.

What is it that's so awesome about Jon, and now Shaw, getting phone calls from payphones and then looking up at a traffic camera nearby and smiling knowingly as they walk off camera into the sunset to a crescendo of that amazing theme music?   I mean they've done that twice at the end of Firewall and now the finale, and both times I was really happy with it, thrilled, but isn't that a silly thing to be thrilled by?   That's great music, though, and now I'm humming it all the time, including the five notes they always used to announce  Root was in the building.  

And how awesome was it that CBS----the network with a big creepy eyeball as their mascot----was tricked into airing a program about an evil all-seeing eye.   That's delicious.    My favorite episode remains Relevance, the one where Shaw was introduced and totally took over the show and turned Reece into a guest star on his own show.   So if they want to give me more Sameen I'm down for that.

On 23/06/2016 at 2:33 PM, MisterSrna said:

I agree with you guys. It was a good, fitting end for a pretty great show. Not the best show ever by any stretch, but still damn good; especially after it hit its stride around season 2 or 3.

I don't know what to think about the Machine rebooting at the end though. It gives me a ray of hope that the show could come back at some time in some form or another. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'd love to get more PoI, but on the other - I think it would be hard to capture the same magic. Especially without John, and presumably Finch.

Given the nature of TV these days it'll be back in 15 years as a reboot/sequel. Essentially the same show but with some nods to keep old fans happy - maybe an older Shaw in some role? Or a search for a much older Finch. Or CW makes it and we get the plucky young son of Reese (from one of his girlfriends) who happens to be a hacker getting involved. Actually make that the son/daughter of Finch and his artist squeeze and he is in search of his dad. Let's hope CW doesn't get it.

Speaking of sequels/reboots, the IGN interview with Nolan and Plageman about the finale that had a spinoff idea that cracked me up. Mostly, because it could work.  Especially with Thornhill Industries having a hiring boom. :)

IGN: Besides Finch, who begins the episode bleeding out, Lionel is stabbed too and looking grim at one point. Did you want to make it clear from the start that in this finale, look, there has to be more sacrifice by the end of this?

Nolan: [Laughs] Never let it be said that we passed up an opportunity to f**k with our audience.

Plageman: We just wanted to be clear that there was going to be no Person of Interest: Beyond Borders.

IGN: [Laughs] I'd watch the hell out of Person of Interest: Beyond Borders!

Plageman: [Laughs] "It's not just New York!"

Nolan: Cut to a payphone ringing in the Congo.

I'm incredibly sad POI is no more, but incredibly glad they went out the way they wanted, no holds barred, full barrel, and no compromises. It was an awesome final season.

But in lieu of waiting for more POI, I do what I always do in this case. I follow the showrunner. I now turn my face to Jonah Nolan's next show about AI: HBO's Westworld (trailer on youtube; HBO's saying it'll air in October).  It's apparently been really different from making POI, according to an io9 interview:

Coming off Person of Interest’s intense production schedule, Nolan expected to be able to write, shoot, produce and cut episodes simultaneously. “I got used to it on Person of Interest,” Nolan said.

The turnaround time for a procedural show on CBS is brutal, and Nolan was confident that experience would allow him to put together episodes of Westworld quickly.

But he soon discovered that Westworld is a very different beast than Person of Interest.

“We’re doing a period Western, and a science fiction [movie],” said Nolan. “Basically, we’re shooting Alien, Days of Heaven and Unforgiven simultaneously, and then cutting them all together... It’s just a massive, massive undertaking.”

The fun here is that he's basically subverting the '70s Crichton movie. Instead of robots terrorizing the humans, the humans are terrorizing the robots.

Archived