F1 2016

Mandzipop

37 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I would have thought the politics and money might be more likely to favour Kvyat, since he probably attracts quite a lot of sponsorship from Russia. It did seem a bit ruthless even if it might be a reasonable move in the long-term, he may have had an awful first lap in Russia but most drivers have done worse at some point.

Unless Putin was disgusted at Kyvat's performance on home soil?

I saw some comments from Kvyat where he said he was informed that he was being demoted while he was in the middle of watching an episode of Game of Thrones.

He didn't mention whether the conversation started with Helmut Marko humming The Rains of Castamere, but I like to imagine it did.

Moving on to this weekend's race I think the big question is what's going to go wrong on Hamilton's car this race?

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I saw some comments from Kvyat where he said he was informed that he was being demoted while he was in the middle of watching an episode of Game of Thrones.

He didn't mention whether the conversation started with Helmut Marko humming The Rains of Castamere, but I like to imagine it did.

Moving on to this weekend's race I think the big question is what's going to go wrong on Hamilton's car this race?

LoL. Do you think Verstappen was Joffrey or the Bastard? Probably the former given the ages. Bernie has to Walder Frey, right? Although I suspect Bernie can shit gold.

The engine changes a few seasons ago would probably have Vettel empathising with Jaime losing his hand and then winning people over trying to overcome his newfound disability.

First practice had both Verstappen and Kyvat running slower than their team mates. Not surprising given they are both less used to the car than their team-mates. It still looks worse for Kyvat as he's slower than he was (even if through no fault of his own). I think Verstappen needs to have a good race not for viewers to put him in a bad-guy role.

Rest of race should be interesting now there aren't any Mercedes. Sort of hoping Verstappen wins now.

I'd probably put the mercedes incident as inevitable given neither will back down. For Rosberg it's win:win but Hamiliton must be getting the feeling this season is doomed.

Red Bull may have been ruthless but that result definitely makes them look like evil genuises. Their car clearly is looking better (not sure it's mercedes fast yet - we'll need to see both teams race) and I guess they had to think about constructors championship moving forward and if swapping drivers allows them to get that it's worth it.

The question is whether Kvyat could have won. That's a tough one but Max made a move at the start of the race that Kvyat would be more prone to have crashed in.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

The question is whether Kvyat could have won. That's a tough one but Max made a move at the start of the race that Kvyat would be more prone to have crashed in.

I think Kvyat would have struggled to hold off Kimi towards the end of the lap on that fading tire too.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think Kvyat would have struggled to hold off Kimi towards the end of the lap on that fading tire too.

At the end of the day Max has shown that world champion class since his debut. Kvyat seems good but has never had that A-list quality.

That turned into a great race. Fantastic drive from Verstappen. He may have had a bit of luck with the Mercs taking each other out and then Vettel and Ricciardo probably choosing the wrong strategy, but he still won a straight fight with Kimi, a former World Champion in what was probably a faster car.

Hamilton's nightmare season continues, and again he didn't really seem to do all that much wrong.

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

I guess we'll never know, but it doesn't look good for Kvyat that he was a considerable distance behind his new team-mate. Normally this would be excusable since Sainz knows the Toro Rosso better, but it doesn't look great when compared to Verstappen's performance. If Kvyat wants to rebuild his career he probably needs to dominate Sainz over the next few races.

ricciardo was very upset post race about being moved onto a 3 stop strategy. It probably cost him the race. Guess he'll be wanting reassurances as to why he got the worse of the split strategies (he's probably paranoid they gave Max the better strategy for PR)

I think on paper the 3 stop strategy looked safer, and Pirelli seemed dubious that Verstappen and Kimi's tyres were going to make it. If they'd gone off the cliff, both cars could have slowed dramatically and been passed by the 2-stoppers. I don't think Ferrari or Red Bull did anything wrong there, they tried to cover two possibilities. Ricciardo's puncture wasn't forseeable and he nearly got 3rd place (in fact, maybe it was that late lunge that helped damage the tyre).

10th winner in 10 years in Spain, which is crazy, and Hamilton is probably wondering WTF is going on. He's now slipped to 3rd in the championship, although I imagine he'll regain 2nd quickly.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think on paper the 3 stop strategy looked safer, and Pirelli seemed dubious that Verstappen and Kimi's tyres were going to make it. If they'd gone off the cliff, both cars could have slowed dramatically and been passed by the 2-stoppers. I don't think Ferrari or Red Bull did anything wrong there, they tried to cover two possibilities. Ricciardo's puncture wasn't forseeable and he nearly got 3rd place (in fact, maybe it was that late lunge that helped damage the tyre).

10th winner in 10 years in Spain, which is crazy, and Hamilton is probably wondering WTF is going on. He's now slipped to 3rd in the championship, although I imagine he'll regain 2nd quickly.

I suspect there is a strong link between Ricciardo's passing attempts and puncture although it's bad for the sport if that's what aggressive driving can achieve. Raikonnen was probably the wiser head for not even trying but it's far less entertaining.

I agree that Red Bull and Ferrari were probably wise in splitting the strategy but I'm sure the ones who wound up on the wrong one will question why they got it. I think Coulthard is always pointing out that track position is always more important when it comes to close calls on stop strategy and this was definitely the case here.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

ricciardo was very upset post race about being moved onto a 3 stop strategy.

He was so upset he almost wasn't smiling.

Monaco up next could be interesting since you might imagine Red Bull could really challenge Mercedes in a fair fight without Mercedes getting much benefit from their engine superiority.

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

He was so upset he almost wasn't smiling.

Monaco up next could be interesting since you might imagine Red Bull could really challenge Mercedes in a fair fight without Mercedes getting much benefit from their engine superiority.

I could only count 4 teeth which is low on the Ricciardo happy scale. Monaco qualifying should be interesting.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Monster crash in an F3 race yesterday.

Fortunately everyone walked away unharmed but that was a massive incident.

That was pretty horrific. I feel as though the first person should have lifted rather than go through that dust at such a speed but I guess that's racing drivers. Amazed no-one was seriously hurt.

Good Monaco race. It's one of the tracks that tends to sort the truly talented drivers out. Perez had an excellent race and Alonso did pretty well too. Hamilton and Ricciardo showed glimpses of great races in the future between them. I felt for Ricciardo though the race was stolen from him and for possibly the first time he wasn't smiling.

By Monaco standards, that was a pretty exciting race. Good to see a comeback from Hamilton and good to see that Red Bull really do seem to be back in the mix. I just wish Ferrari could have done more to make it more interesting. A three-way constructors battle would be cool but Ferrari seem to have dropped off a little just as Red Bull have stepped things up.

Heartening performance by McLaren and Force India as well, although Force India I suspect will drop off as they normally do. They usually have 2-3 excellent races a year and then drop back into the midfield again. They just don't seem to have the resources to make it all the way through the season at a competitive level. Pretty shambolic race from Renault though.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Good Monaco race. It's one of the tracks that tends to sort the truly talented drivers out. Perez had an excellent race and Alonso did pretty well too. Hamilton and Ricciardo showed glimpses of great races in the future between them. I felt for Ricciardo though the race was stolen from him and for possibly the first time he wasn't smiling.

I think that's the first time I've seen Ricciardo genuinely angry about something, even when things have gone badly for him in the past he's kept smiling. I can understand why he's angry, it seems to be a completely unforced error by Red Bull.

After doing everything perfectly in the previous race Verstappen had a bit of a return back to Earth this time round, the qualifying crash in particular showed that he can still make silly mistakes.

Very poor race from Rosberg as well to be almost lapped by his team-mate and mugged for 6th place by Hulkenberg round the final corner, it was a bit bizarre especially given his good record at Monaco in recent years.

By Monaco standards, that was a pretty exciting race. Good to see a comeback from Hamilton and good to see that Red Bull really do seem to be back in the mix. I just wish Ferrari could have done more to make it more interesting. A three-way constructors battle would be cool but Ferrari seem to have dropped off a little just as Red Bull have stepped things up.

It'll be interesting to see in Canada how much of a gap there is now between Mercedes and Red Bull, Monaco isn't really the best place to judge their engine upgrade.

Pretty shambolic race from Renault though.

It was, although perhaps Sauber were even worse with one driver ignoring team orders then the other deciding to drive him off the road.

Archived