F1 2016

Mandzipop

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

That was the best last couple of laps of a grand prix in a long time. But Rosberg was being an utter, utter muppet. I'm shocked the stewards didn't tear a strip off him and send him to the back of the grid, that was an appalling move at the end there and he got exactly what he deserved.

I've no idea what Rosberg was thinking going into that corner. He'd actually driven an excellent race up to that point, but that was a complete misjudgement and he's lucky to finish as high as he did.

Terrific results up and down the grid, especially for Wuhrlein and Button

I think they were particularly impressive because they were fairly genuine performances in terms of pace (albeit benefiting from a couple of retirements). Pity that Hulkenberg had such an awful race after such a good qualifying performance.

Last couple of laps were good but I was finding it hard to pay attention to the majority of the race (an ongoing problem for me this season).

I maybe wasn't watching all the replay angles but I didn't feel like Rosberg was being so harsh. Not that it was Hamilton's fault at all but I was surprised at how harsh they were on Rosberg. Will have to watch some other replays.

Hamilton getting booed at the podium Q&A was harsh. I still think the media likes to play this all up because the only competition in the season is which Mercedes driver will win.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Hamilton getting booed at the podium Q&A was harsh. I still think the media likes to play this all up because the only competition in the season is which Mercedes driver will win.

Right. Long may this competition continue, crashes and all. If Mercedes impose team orders i'll stop watching.

54 minutes ago, England's Finest said:

Right. Long may this competition continue, crashes and all. If Mercedes impose team orders i'll stop watching.

I doubt Bernie would allow it either. It's utterly pointless unless another driver is encroaching on them. This tussle merely resulted in one coming first and the other finishing 4th/5th. Unless they are trying to win the constructor's championship by a ridiculous amount there's nothing for them to worry about. I'd prefer this over the back up driver who can't compete with the no1 driver that Red Bull and Ferrari employed in the Vettel and Schumacher eras.

Doubtless a lot of digital ink will be wasted on how Mercedes can't control their drivers and will they implode. No they won't.

Nope. Hamilton just smashed it. Interesting to see if they get a good start tomorrow. If so I suspect Hamilton will just walk it. The real action will more likely be between Ricciardo and Verstappen - as this is the first time that Verstappen has outpoled Ricciardo - and maybe seeing what Vettel can do from further down the track.

Sort of hope Hamilton has a bad start if just for entertainment value. Some bad weather would be a treat too.

I'm surprised it's the same weekend as the Wimbledon final - seems like bad scheduling. Then throw the Euro 2016 final into the mix and you have an intense day of sport.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Sort of hope Hamilton has a bad start if just for entertainment value. Some bad weather would be a treat too.

I'm surprised it's the same weekend as the Wimbledon final - seems like bad scheduling. Then throw the Euro 2016 final into the mix and you have an intense day of sport.

The Euro is much later in the day though. I'm actually looking forward to a full day of sport tomorrow :) 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Forecast seems to suggest there won't be any rain until after the race, although this is the English weather we're talking about so there's still some hope.

I agree it seems like something will probably need to go wrong for Hamilton for there to be a real contest for the victory.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

The Euro is much later in the day though. I'm actually looking forward to a full day of sport tomorrow :) 

It's going to be intense.

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

Forecast seems to suggest there won't be any rain until after the race, although this is the English weather we're talking about so there's still some hope.

I agree it seems like something will probably need to go wrong for Hamilton for there to be a real contest for the victory.

British weather and Hamilton's starts have proven to be unreliable so there's still a chance of their being competition for first place.

Reasonable race, great to see Verstappen outdriving Rosberg. You know if he was in a Merc he'd be driving rings around Rosberg and challenging Hamilton far more strongly. Also good to see that they did enforce the team radio rules, it'd have been stupid if they hadn't.

That puts Hamilton 1 point behind Rosberg at less than the halfway point of the season. Interesting to see if Hamilton now walks it or if Rosberg can keep the fight alive, and if Red Bull can keep up their mightily impressive rate of improvement.

Looks like the grid for next year is taking shape. Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari all staying the same. That decision also makes Force India and Haas likely to stay the same. Kvyat apparently in danger of being dropped from Toro Rosso. If he stays, it might be to more appease his Russian backers and because Bernie likes having a Russian driver on the roster, but Red Bull and Toro Rosso are usually pretty immune to such demands. If they think he's rubbish, he'll be gone.

Interesting rumour that Ferrari now want Hamilton on board and have kept Raikkonen for 2017 as a filler so they can make a play for Hamilton for 2018 or after. That would require Ferrari to step up massively next year. If they don't, I don't see Hamilton being tempted even if the money is insane. Ferrari's assessment seems to be that they don't necessarily see Bottas or Grosjean as being faster than Raikkonen (a bit unfair on Grosjean, who outdrove Raikkonen at Lotus) and they think Perez might be, but were also unimpressed by how he handled the pressure at McLaren (again, unfair as McLaren were going downhill a lot at the time).

The big question mark is regarding Williams and McLaren, with Button looking likely to move from McLaren. However, there seem to be some voices at McLaren that want to keep Button because he is excellent at helping with development. If they think they'll still be in a catching-up mode next year, it might be beneficial to keep Button on board. From Button's POV McLaren seem to be catching up to Williams and Williams have definitely dropped backwards from the last two seasons (they really should have gotten at least one or two victories in that time), so switching to Williams just as they're losing their competitiveness would seem to be pointless. Same arguments with Williams and Massa. Massa looks more likely to want to stay in F1 as long as possible, so he might be tempted by Renault, who it is rumoured are looking for a more experienced hand for next year, but I don't seen Button staying to make up the numbers, especially not when he has TV offers on the table and the chance of racing in sports cars (Webber is apparently keen for him to move over).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Reasonable race, great to see Verstappen outdriving Rosberg. You know if he was in a Merc he'd be driving rings around Rosberg and challenging Hamilton far more strongly. Also good to see that they did enforce the team radio rules, it'd have been stupid if they hadn't.

That puts Hamilton 1 point behind Rosberg at less than the halfway point of the season. Interesting to see if Hamilton now walks it or if Rosberg can keep the fight alive, and if Red Bull can keep up their mightily impressive rate of improvement.

Verstappen is clearly a world champion once he has a car that can be on a similar level to mercedes. I think that could be next year as long as rule changes don't reshuffle everything as Red Bull is clearly catching at a fast rate.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Looks like the grid for next year is taking shape. Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari all staying the same. That decision also makes Force India and Haas likely to stay the same. Kvyat apparently in danger of being dropped from Toro Rosso. If he stays, it might be to more appease his Russian backers and because Bernie likes having a Russian driver on the roster, but Red Bull and Toro Rosso are usually pretty immune to such demands. If they think he's rubbish, he'll be gone.

Interesting rumour that Ferrari now want Hamilton on board and have kept Raikkonen for 2017 as a filler so they can make a play for Hamilton for 2018 or after. That would require Ferrari to step up massively next year. If they don't, I don't see Hamilton being tempted even if the money is insane. Ferrari's assessment seems to be that they don't necessarily see Bottas or Grosjean as being faster than Raikkonen (a bit unfair on Grosjean, who outdrove Raikkonen at Lotus) and they think Perez might be, but were also unimpressed by how he handled the pressure at McLaren (again, unfair as McLaren were going downhill a lot at the time).

I'm surprised by the Raikonnen signing but then I noticed he is third in the championship - he's very reliable for team championship points without causing the Rosberg/Hamilton strife. Like you say he's a good place-holder as several drivers eg Ricciardo and Hamilton will be available and it's maybe easy to keep Raikonnen on a one year contract than give one to someone else.

I wouldn't write Hamilton off of Ferrari if he has 3-4 championships by 2017 I could see him moving to Ferrari for the prestige. Maybe not if the car is a dog but if it shows promise like Mercedes were then it's possible.

I thought the issue with Button was more that someone else will get vanderoone (sp?) if they don't give him a drive? Mclaren think he's a star in the making so it's maybe a risk to lose him. It's not that Button isn't doing a great job just that he might retire before the car is good.

Archived