F1 2016

Mandzipop

7 hours ago, Loge said:

Apparently, none of Red Bull's junior drivers is ready for Formula 1, which is why they hired Hartley. If they fire him, they have to hire another driver from outside. In the German press there has been some speculation about Wehrlein, but that's probably wishful thinking. If they go with Honda for Red Bull as well as Toro Rosso, they might want a Japanese driver.

I think Wehrlein would probably be an improvement on Hartley who has yet to impress and is definitely being outperformed by Gasly.

9 hours ago, Loge said:

Apparently, none of Red Bull's junior drivers is ready for Formula 1, which is why they hired Hartley. If they fire him, they have to hire another driver from outside. In the German press there has been some speculation about Wehrlein, but that's probably wishful thinking. If they go with Honda for Red Bull as well as Toro Rosso, they might want a Japanese driver.

I was wondering whether Red Bull ever takes on people outside their driver's program? Isn't Hartley an example of this? I guess the problem with other Red Bull trainees in other teams is that they'd only return to Red Bull not toro Rosso at this stage. Sainz left because he knew he had to move teams to get a better car. The weird thing is that if Red Bull do have the Honda engine next year RB and TR could be the kind of cars no-one is really rushing to be in.

So your point of Red Bull just having a cash grab toro rosso driver may be a good one (nicer if they can find a genuinely talented driver too but that might be a bit of an ask)

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

I heard that as well, but isn't the problem that there are none in the lower formulae with a superlicence, and the two closest to it are unlikely to get enough points this season to qualify?

Wehrlein was really highly rated and did reasonably well, it was surprising F1 let him go, but apparently he was a bit of a prima donna.

I don't remember any details about the Red Bull juniors, but the lack of a superlicence is likely the main obstacle. As for Wehrlein, I don't think Sauber gave any reasons, but it's probably money. They are a Ferrari customer team, and now with Alfa Romeo sponsoring, so it's not surprising that they hired Leclerc. Ericsson seams to have the support of people close to Sauber's owners. And it looks like Mercedes have decided that Ocon shows more promise.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I was wondering whether Red Bull ever takes on people outside their driver's program? Isn't Hartley an example of this? I guess the problem with other Red Bull trainees in other teams is that they'd only return to Red Bull not to Rosso at this stage. Sainz left because he knew he had to move teams to get a better car. The weird thing is that if Red Bull do have the Honda engine next year RB and TR could be the kind of cars no-one is really rushing to be in.

So your point of Red Bull just having a cash grab toro rosso driver may be a good one (nicer if they can find a genuinely talented driver too but that might be a bit of an ask)

Hartley was a Red Bull junior but didn't make it to become a Formula 1 driver. He had some success in WEC with Porsche (Le Mans winner 2017 and champion 2015 and 2017).

New rumour: Hartly out, Toro Ross/Red Bull keen on buying out Kubica's contract from Williams. Kubica interested because Williams seem to be self-destructing.

That makes sense. The two teams actually need a steadier hand on the tiller and Kubica has experience and form. Even if he's not 100% at his old speed and capable of leading for Red Bull, he's more than capable of taking a strong role at Toro Rosso. That'd be interesting.

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

New rumour: Hartly out, Toro Ross/Red Bull keen on buying out Kubica's contract from Williams. Kubica interested because Williams seem to be self-destructing.

That makes sense. The two teams actually need a steadier hand on the tiller and Kubica has experience and form. Even if he's not 100% at his old speed and capable of leading for Red Bull, he's more than capable of taking a strong role at Toro Rosso. That'd be interesting.

It's a good publicity move as it makes for a positive story seeing someone overcome a physical handicap and return to the sport too.

Red Bull have shown with kvyat that they have no time for poor performers. Look at the pressure Verstappen is suddenly under as well. Hartly just isn't delivering and it's a team that has no patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Hartley keeps his job for now because Red Bull can't find a replacement. All the promising young drivers are locked up in the various junior programs. Apparently RB tried to get Lando Norris, but McLaren wouldn't let him go. As for Kubica, that's probably just his own PR spreading that rumour. 

Last weekend was quite interesting, though the race itself wasn't all that exciting. Vettel leads the championship again, though by a single point. Red Bull looked quite competitive with Verstappen leading all three free practice sessions. Wolff wasn't pleased at all. Grosjean destroyed a front wing in an accident with a marmot. McLaren weren't anywhere near the points. And the race was shorter than planned because the chequered flag was waved too early. 

I thought the Canadian grand Prix was the worst of the season. I'm sick of seeing races turn into tyre management/endurance sessions. There's other motorsports that cater for that type of racing and they do it better. Positions 2-5 did nothing after their first pit stop and it was a snooze feature from then on. Hamilton's friend may as well have made a bigger mistake and waved the flag at lap 40 and done us all a favour.

FIA need to specify tyres that can't last more than 20 laps or just have them being competitive for 40. This intermediate option just drives the tedium of tyre management. The cliff edge era at least meant there wasn't much option in tyre management or at least carried the risk you could throw your entire race away if you went too long. Currently it seems the tyres last as long as you drive at sub optimal speed/performance and as long as that offsets the price of a pit stop drivers will continue to do so.

Apparently McLaren are happy to lend Toro Rosso Norris, they just wouldn't lend him with a clause into next season since they don't know what's going on with Alonso (possibly both Alonso and Vandoorne). If Toro Rosso want him for the rest of this season, fine, and apparently Toro Rosso are evaluating that idea whilst coming up with an alternative driver for next season.

Red Bull's data analysis is that Honda's engine upgrade for Canada was extremely impressive, 1.5s per lap or three times more power than Renault's upgrade. By Red Bull's calculations apparently the Honda engine is now near parity with the Renault and they will be happy to take on the Honda engine for next season.

Cue McLaren screaming into the void somewhere at having spent $100 million to end up pretty much exactly where they would have been anyway after 7 races.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently McLaren are happy to lend Toro Rosso Norris, they just wouldn't lend him with a clause into next season since they don't know what's going on with Alonso (possibly both Alonso and Vandoorne). If Toro Rosso want him for the rest of this season, fine, and apparently Toro Rosso are evaluating that idea whilst coming up with an alternative driver for next season.

Red Bull's data analysis is that Honda's engine upgrade for Canada was extremely impressive, 1.5s per lap or three times more power than Renault's upgrade. By Red Bull's calculations apparently the Honda engine is now near parity with the Renault and they will be happy to take on the Honda engine for next season.

Cue McLaren screaming into the void somewhere at having spent $100 million to end up pretty much exactly where they would have been anyway after 7 races.

I wonder what Alonso did to obtain this curse where teams/engines start to work immediately after he ditches them after wasting several seasons with them underperforming?

Given the red bull chassis seems to add another second a lap the Honda engine could look competitive in the red bull next year.

It'd be nice for Honda to get some reward before this era of engine closes out

Archived