Why Did Tyanna Confess to Maegor the Cruel ?

redtree

Tyanna confessed that she poisoned all of Maegor's other brides so all of their pregnancies resulted in stillborn and monstrous. 
She knew how Maegor was in desperate need for heir, she also knew that Maegor was cruel and unforgiving which means Tyanna knew that she'd die and she did die in a cruel fashion from that confession. A real stupid move from someone who was smart enough and trusted to be mistress of whisperers
Is there any logical explanation for her action ?

24 minutes ago, redtree said:

Tyanna confessed that she poisoned all of Maegor's other brides so all of their pregnancies resulted in stillborn and monstrous. 
She knew how Maegor was in desperate need for heir, she also knew that Maegor was cruel and unforgiving which means Tyanna knew that she'd die and she did die in a cruel fashion from that confession. A real stupid move from someone who was smart enough and trusted to be mistress of whisperers
Is there any logical explanation for her action ?

She was probably tortured...

3 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

And remember just because someone "confesses" to something, it isn't necessarily true. There may have been other magical reasons but Maegor wanted someone to blame

This may very well have been a true confession, given what we know of Tyanna.  But, I don't doubt that it was extracted by brutal tortures.

32 minutes ago, SeanF said:

This may very well have been a true confession, given what we know of Tyanna.  But, I don't doubt that it was extracted by brutal tortures.

Actually, we don't have any reason to believe that Tyanna could (magically) poison women in a fashion that could cause them to give birth to monstrosities of the type Maegor's wives apparently had. Show me the poison that creates half-dragon, half-human monstrosities.

It is much more likely that Maegor's semen was the problem, not something Tyanna did. We have to keep in mind that Maegor tried to father children without success for nearly two decades (and not just with Ceryse, Alys, and Tyanna but with other women as well) before he first impregnated a woman, Alys, in 44 AC.

Back then, Tyanna blamed Alys for the monstrosity, and one really has to ask why she would have felt the need to do that. After all, we know that Tyanna had become not only Maegor's lover back in Pentos but Alys' as well, suggesting that these three might have been pretty happy in their polygamous marriage from 42 AC onwards. But if Maegor's seed finally quickened in Alys' womb only thanks to a spell/magic performed by Tyanna then Maegor's first thought would have been to blame her for the monstrosity, not Alys. Tyanna saved her neck back in 44 AC because she pointed to Alys, but the same trick didn't work in 48 AC when both Jeyne Westerling and Elinor Costayne gave birth to similar monstrosities.

Maegor would have wanted an explanation from Tyanna. She might have told him that his semen was beyond saving, even for her magic, and he didn't want to hear that - just as Aerys II later didn't want to believe that he, and not Rhaella, was the problem in their marriage. And then Maegor would have accused her of 'poisoning' his other wives because she was jealous that they carried Maegor's healthy sons, etc., and he would have tortured her until she agreed with him (which, I think, would have taken quite some time considering that Tyanna was most likely one of the strongest characters in the entire history of the Targaryen reign). Then he cut out her heart, threw it to his dogs, and, most likely, died inside.

I mean, Maegor must have known that he was the problem. And Tyanna was one of the most important pillars of his reign. She may have been feared even more than Maegor himself. With her around, I don't see Rhaena stealing Blackfyre and escaping with Dreamfyre.

Archived