Multiple False Identity Theories

12 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Tbf, imagine what Tyrion could accomplish with a Targaryen name as a trump card!

Unless he gets dragon from Dany, he can't use the name to excerise his power. Targs are all dead save for Dany and Aegon. People believe Aegon to be dead and so far he hasn't had any notable achievement. Dany conquered Slavers bay but now it is in complete chaos and her dragons are loose.

So using both their names would fetch him nothing. On the other side, Tywin was a fearful man till he lived, Cersie's son Tommen is still the king and Jamie is a Lord Commander of Kings gaurd. He also had wealth of Casterly Rock as his backup, but what security Targs have other than dragons?

6 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Alleras = Sarella seems likely too.

I forgot about that one. I'm 100% convinced by that. Again, it fits with the pattern - new character turns out to be a character that is more significant, but never seen before from a POV

5 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

It's like people read Genna's little talk and then switched their brain off. From that point on it's all about Jaime becoming Tywin, proving Genna wrong, and it's not overt. The very next Jaime chapter ends with a gigantic display of Tywinness by Jaime, he muses If his aunt had been there, would she still say Tyrion was Tywin's son?

I don't know. Certainly, Jaime plays on his own reputation, and mimics Tywin, in order to intimidate Edmure, but is doing so in order to avoid breaking his vow not to fight Tullys and to end the war bloodlessly. He keeps his vows to Edmure not to harm anyone after Riverun is captured, and later treats with Blackwood honourably. I don't think Jaime's story is simply one of him becoming Tywin. He seems to be a man wrestling with his conscience, and purposely trying to do the right thing. In the chapter where he threatens Floppy Fish, it's clear that while he's apeing Tywin, he's not happy about it and worries that it will just compound his reputation. I think Tywin, or Tyrion for that matter, wouldn't care about that.

7 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Alleras = Sarella seems likely too. There must be some strong imperative for it. But I don't see which one.

13 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I forgot about that one. I'm 100% convinced by that. Again, it fits with the pattern - new character turns out to be a character that is more significant, but never seen before from a POV

This one, together with the Gravedigging Hound, are not exactly false identities in the sense that Jon, Aegon, etc are/may be. They are just characters hiding their identities for very specific reasons. They are more like Arya and Sansa hiding their identities, with the difference that the reader needs to put some thinking (but not too much, really - Sarella especially is nearly spelled out) in order to know who they really are.

ETA, but they do add IMO to the feeling that the identity puzzles might be just close to become a bit too many.

1 minute ago, ShadowCat Rivers said:

This one, together with the Gravedigging Hound, are not exactly false identities in the sense that Jon, Aegon, etc are/may be. They are just characters hiding their identities for very specific reasons. They are more like Arya and Sansa hiding their identities, with the difference that the reader needs to put some thinking (but not too much, really - Sarella especially is nearly spelled out) in order to know who they really are.

Yeah, I said above that this is the most common form of hidden identity. Barristan, JC, Aegon and Ramsay/Reek fall into that category too. It's different from secret Targs (who aren't so much hidden identities as secret parentages), and main characters who are completely different.

Archived