Is Tywin as Rich as Smaug ?

redtree

I've just watched the Hobbit and saw all that gold coins and stacks of diamond beneath the lonely mountain. There are so many of it i'm sure it's beyond tens of million, even Smaug could hid beneath the coins and there's more space for more coins and precious stones. Like Erebor, Casterly Rock also has working gold mine and it has worked for thousands of years and has never ran out.

Is CR as rich as Erebor ? If Tywin is richer, shouldn't 6 million be small problem for him ?

Smaug's hoard is insanely large.  Consider that all the gold ever mined in the (our) world would fill about 3.5 Olympic sized swimming pools (25 x 50 x 2 meters) and I suspect that Smaug is sitting on (or sleeping under) more than that.

End point: dwarven populations are bad for the market value of gold.

1 hour ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Has to be Smaug, if the Lannisters had money they wouldn't have all the problems with the Iron Bank.

Kevan considers using Lannister gold to pay off the debts. 

The crown has trouble with the Iron Bank not House Lannister. 

But unless they send Tyrion mining in the bowels of the Rock they can't match Erebor. 

Forbes Magazine did an estimate once on Smaug's wealth, and it was somewhere around 40 trillion dollars (the calculation was done based on his size compared to the size of the treasure horde). I sincerely doubt the Lannisters are that rich, as that would put them at more money than every major bank in Planetos combined.

Archived