TitanCon 2016: Fri 30 Sept - Sun 2 Oct

TitanCon returns for 2016

You may have read the statement I posted on the TitanCon website dated 19 February 2016 and wondered if there was going to be a TitanCon in 2016. Believe me, I wondered too. That is why I am so pleased to announce that the show will go on! We've had some good news, our financial situation is secure and TitanCon 2016 will return on the weekend of Friday 30 September - Sunday 2 October 2016.

I know that's a different date than the one I mentioned previously and during the closing ceremony at TitanCon last year, but unfortunately the early August date is not going to work for us this year. While we had the conference booking pencilled in we could not hold a block of hotel bedrooms without a confirmed booking and now it is too late in the year to get enough rooms for the early August date. I also felt that with the late start this year a couple of extra months' notice and planning time would be useful for everyone.

I hope the new date works for you and apologies to anyone that had already booked time off for the early August date just in case, I'm sorry about that. We will look into the possibility of running the early August date in 2017.

But let's talk about this year. TitanCon 2016 will be our biggest and best convention yet, with more guests, more Game of Thrones, more books, more workshops, more events and more awesome times than you can shake a spear at!

The Wellie are offering special room rate deals to TitanCon 2016 attendees at the same prices as last year. The opportunity to stay in the hotel where the convention you are attending takes place can massively improve your experience at the con. The practicality of being able to return to your room quickly and easily at any time is a huge difference maker and with enough people staying here the entire hotel can become infused with the atmosphere of TitanCon making the whole experience that much more enjoyable for everyone.

Literature Night

We will be kicking things off on the evening of Friday 30 September with our popular Literature Night featuring readings from our author guests. This relaxed and informal gathering is the perfect opportunity to mingle with the other attendees, catch up with old friends or make some new ones. We'll also be offering a preview of our Art Show featuring incredible pieces of art by talented local and international artists available for purchase.

TitanCon 2016

The convention itself is on Saturday 1 October. Our doors open at 9.00 am and TitanCon runs till 6.30 pm with evening entertainment from 7.30 pm through till 1.00 am. We highly recommend sticking around till late for a rare chance to see some of the Game of Thrones cast members on the dance floor!

Programming

TitanCon 2016 programming will feature discussion panels, crafting workshops, combat workshops, photo sessions with the guests and of course a signing session.

Guests

We have some great guests already confirmed for TitanCon 2016 and I just need a few more days to put the finishing touches to the guest pages of the website and get the biographies signed off by the guests, then we'll be ready to make some exciting announcements.

Because of the constantly changing nature of the production schedule for Game of Thrones we will only be able to announce our full line up of Game of Thrones guests a week or two before the convention. Rest assured that we are working hard to make announcements as soon as we possibly can and we are confident we'll have a great line up on the day. We are committed to not naming guests until we are completely sure that they will be in Belfast on that weekend and available to attend. We would hate to announce someone only for them to drop out when the schedule changes.

This is the downside of holding a convention like ours in the middle of the ongoing filming schedule however it does mean we can bring you a good number of guests for a much lower cost than it would be if we had to fly everyone in from all over the world during their down time. It worked out well for us at TitanCon 2011 when we were able to announce Sophie Turner (Sansa) and Maisie Williams (Arya) as guests just two weeks before the convention. In 2013 we had Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran Stark), Art Parkinson (Rickon Stark), Kristian Nairn (Hodor) and Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed) all confirm in the last week as being able to join us which led to an incredible panel on the Fall of House Stark. Last year Ian Beattie (Meryn Trant) confirmed just 3 days before the convention that he was able to attend. You never know who might show up on the day!

TitanCon is not just a Game of Thrones convention, we also include fantasy and science-fiction authors, comic artists, gaming, art and much more. We will be joined by an incredible line up of authors and artists who will be discussing various interesting subjects and aspects of writing and creating literature and art. TitanCon is Northern Ireland's premiere event for speculative fiction and works of the imagination and therefore we will be showcasing the best of the homegrown talent from across the region.

TitanCon Coach Tour

Tickets for the Coach Tour on Sunday 2 October will go on sale at a later date. This is because we don't actually know where the tour is going to visit this year. Ideally we would like to visit some season six locations so we really need to see some episodes and get a good idea of which locations have been used and plan the route accordingly. The ticket price will depend on how long the route is, how much we need to pay for access to the locations and other associated costs. We expect to announce full details of the 2016 Coach Tour and open ticket sales before the end of June this year.

Sounds great! When can I buy tickets?

Tickets for attendance to TitanCon 2016 cost £25. Tickets go on sale at 12.00 noon (UK time) on Saturday 9 April 2016.

Your confirmation email will include booking codes for the special room rate at the Wellington Park Hotel, so please don't contact the hotel directly until after you have bought your ticket and received the confirmation email.

Supporting Membership

Perhaps you are unable to be at TitanCon 2016 but would still really like to see our convention succeed. Supporting Membership can be bought for just £5 and your greatly appreciated support will help us to continue in 2016 and beyond. Supporting membership can be upgraded to Full Attending Membership at a later date for £20, just in case it turns out you can make it. Supporting Membership also counts towards your Making the Eight number!

We'll be announcing more details about all aspects of TitanCon 2016 over the coming months so please check back regularly for news or follow us on Twitter to get the latest updates as they are announced.

We look forward to seeing you at TitanCon 2016!

TitanCon is gonna be awesome this year,  but I do know MG would really like some people to help out with a few pre-con things.

he's just a wee bit shy on the asking. ;)

Oh did I say TitanCon is gonna be awesome.    We have for the first time at TitanCon   the wonderfully fabulous lovely beard pageant.   Don't let the lack of a natural beard stop you from partaking.

We have the strangest scavenger hunt only.  restricted to one floor with no need to disturb the panels.  (yeah I'm not sure how its gonna work either) It will be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I've totally submitted my form. And from a fancy restaurant in Bilbao and everything.

I would like at least ticket #2, but really ticket #1. But I understand that Pebble's a bit scary.

8 hours ago, TitanCat said:

I've totally submitted my form. And from a fancy restaurant in Bilbao and everything.

I would like at least ticket #2, but really ticket #1. But I understand that Pebble's a bit scary.

You think I'm scary?         Its ok I got number 1

47 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

You think I'm scary?         Its ok I got number 1

I mean you vaguely scared Phil into giving you number 1 with car-related blackmail :P

I got ticket number 5 again, booo. Upsettingly TCCB got number 2 because he had a proper laptop (and doesn't need to fill in half the form) whereas I was fighting with a tablet that kept not loading a page... the worst part is he was only competing in the early tickets stake to piss me off. Humph.

But Pebble - you have been usurped for the lowest average TitanCon ticket. Quite decisively.

Depends how calculate average.   mean, medium or mode?

Also think that you should have a member number at least 4 times to compete in the average.

As for blackmailing Phil.   well I did threaten,  but since I'd already dropped him off before he assigned the membership numbers not sure that can possibly count as blackmail.  Its not as if I have a time machine.

Oh, I have to drop an email in. I forgot I won a ticket to this year's event as my booby prize for losing the quiz. I'll need to make sure I book Coach One as well.

#coachone4life

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't wait, so I just booked my flights. ;)

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I could use one this year, financially. Will wait for about a week and then book a room at the Wellington. Hope it's not too late. :unsure:

30 minutes ago, Adz of CCAA said:

Couldn't wait, so I just booked my flights. ;)

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I could use one this year, financially. Will wait for about a week and then book a room at the Wellington. Hope it's not too late. :unsure:

There's a thread about roomshares on the TitanCon board - http://titancon.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=70.

• 4 weeks later...

I was finally going to join but paypal doesn't like me.

I apparently need to confirm my identity, which requires an automatic phone call to my work number.  And obviously I am not at work right now...

I'll try it again next week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.5.2016 at 11:52 PM, Padraig said:

I apparently need to confirm my identity, which requires an automatic phone call to my work number.  And obviously I am not at work right now...

I had that problem, too, during my move. It had my landline phone number, which wasn't connected at that moment. Changed it to my mobile number after that experience. :wacko:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheCrannogDweller said:

G'day, ladies and gentlemen. Any news on the coach tour?

I was speaking to Phil last week and he said he had it planned out now and it would be on sale soon (he did say what weekend it would be on sale, but I've forgotten).

Archived