Can someone give me an overview of Bran's visions in Dance? [Spoilers all]

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place or my etiquette is not the best!

I have been holding off for reading Dance for a year (!) because I have had a lot on my to-read list, and I wanted some ASOIAF content to lead me into Season 6 as I knew the wait would be unbearable. My willpower has been pretty wonderful as my fingers have been twitching! I am planning to start reading it early next month.

I am very interested in Bran's karate kid tree boy training, and I was wondering if someone would be so kind to give me an overview of Bran's visions. In Dance, is he merely seeing things that have happened before, or does he have a sense of foresight? Can he send messages via the network of weirwood trees?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure, given that you haven't actually read the book yet, just how much you already know or have heard, but if an overview is what you want an overview is what you'll have.

Bran spends some time on his journey to the Heart of Darkness [if you know your Conrad you'll recognise it at once] and there meets what he believes is the three-eyed crow, although there are some doubts on this. He is taught how to see through the eyes of the weirwood tree in the Winterfell godswood and gets a series of visions ranging back through time. He does not at this stage see anything of the future but is told that eventually he will be able to look beyond the trees, which might well involve the ability to see something of possible futures. We don't find him communicating with anyone, but we know that he does gain this ability since in earlier books he has "spoken" to Jon.

Beyond that I'd prefer that you read the text and then come back with questions arising. If this thread has gone the way of all flesh by then you'll find a good welcome on the Heresy thread

:cool4:

Wonderful thank you, I'm actually partial to a few spoilers- so could you tell me what he sees in the past? Do his visions act as any foreshadowing for things to come? ^_^

I have tried to read some of the wikis but I find the fan analysis and meta on here much more interesting to read!

I shall check out the Heresy thread!

In order there's the late lamented Lord Eddard Stark praying; there are two children, thought to be Benjen and Lyanna playing; a pregnant woman coming out of the pool to pray for vengeance; and a man getting his throat cut in front of the tree - at which point Brandon Stark tastes the blood. Its all very much in the past with various theories as to what he's seeing.

24 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

In order there's the late lamented Lord Eddard Stark praying; there are two children, thought to be Benjen and Lyanna playing; a pregnant woman coming out of the pool to pray for vengeance; and a man getting his throat cut in front of the tree - at which point Brandon Stark tastes the blood. Its all very much in the past with various theories as to what he's seeing.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.

First we have Ned praying. That one is somewhat easy to figure out. That the Children playing are Benjen and Lyanna is also not that hard.

The woman praying for vengeance is harder. presumably a Stark or a woman married into House Stark. I suspect we're in the She-Wolf era, and it's one of the She- Wolves feeling betrayed vowing revenge against one of the other Stark ladies. it could also be Ned's mother, but who would she want revenge on? 

Then we have the slim woman kissing the tall Knight. i Think the Knight is Duncan the Tall and the woman might be Old Nan (but I'm less sure about this), but that would mean we're still in the She- Wolf era at this point, just earlier.

Then we see the pale youth with his weirwood arrows. I know some people have said it's Young Bloodraven, might be, but we've never heard that he visited Winterfel. He also make three arrows. Three arrows for three dragons. Could this be the Invasion Era? I have Heard some speculate that it's Brandón Snow, the bastard brother of Torrhen Stark (the king who knelt).

The last one is far back in time, at some point in the Westerosi bronze age. A blood sacrifice to the Old Gods is conducted at the Weirwood tree. This practice died out at some point before the Targaryen invasion, and the bronze equipment tell us this is pre- Andal times. The woman could be a Priestess of the Old Gods, which is interesting since the Old Gods doesn't have a Priesthood, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one thousands of years ago.

Archived