Bosch... Amazon Original

Martini Sigil

35 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I just watched the first two eps of S1.  Pretty good, a bit cliche, but overall well done and a cut above the typical police procedural.  The first (only?) major crime of S1 is really grim and horrible to contemplate.  I just hope they don't dwell on it too much.

There is another major storyline in season one in addition to the one introduced in the first episode, and I'd say it's the more entertaining of the two.  That main story reminded me a lot of the early seasons of Dexter before the show went to absolute shit.

Damn, season two of this show has been great so far.  I'm binging the fuck out of this thing.  

Also cool to see so many actors from several of my favorite shows pop up in addition to the ones in the main cast.  Although it is really strange to see the guy who played Billings on The Shield play a competent detective.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We watched S1 and S2 in just a few weeks.  Definitely a good watch and highly recommended.  Not as artsy and philosophical as True Detective S1, nor as quirky as Fargo S1, nor as immersive or as much of an ensemble as The Wire (although S1 was a slower build for The Wire as we saw too much of McNulty), but Bosche is a high quality non-episodic detective show with a strong cast, decent characterization, good story & dialogue, and very consistent flow, pacing, focus, etc.  Special props for using two alumni of The Wire in central roles, plus adding a third in S2 in a secondary role.

I was glad that S2 moved on from the serial killer theme and embraced a different type of story.

It looks like S3 is available too, so we'll keep moving along.

On 4/26/2017 at 3:06 AM, briantw said:

Damn, season two of this show has been great so far.  I'm binging the fuck out of this thing.  

Also cool to see so many actors from several of my favorite shows pop up in addition to the ones in the main cast.  Although it is really strange to see the guy who played Billings on The Shield play a competent detective.  :lol:

He rehabilitated his image with a competent stint on Homeland.  He is cool now.

• 2 weeks later...

We finished S3 already.  My wife got hooked and we watched a couple of episodes whenever I was home for the evening.  Good season, changing the dynamic again.   It felt like there were too many threads at times: the movie director and the former cop, the soldiers, Bosch being personally undermined/investigated, politicking for new positions at captain and chief, and KTK.   It didn't seem like they could all be resolved but KTK was just set-up, presumably for next season, and some of the politicking and Bosch professionalism aspects just rumble along unresolved.

Jerry is my favorite character.  That actor needs his own show.  No doubt.  

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2017 at 7:11 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

We watched S1 and S2 in just a few weeks.  Definitely a good watch and highly recommended.  Not as artsy and philosophical as True Detective S1, nor as quirky as Fargo S1, nor as immersive or as much of an ensemble as The Wire (although S1 was a slower build for The Wire as we saw too much of McNulty), but Bosche is a high quality non-episodic detective show with a strong cast, decent characterization, good story & dialogue, and very consistent flow, pacing, focus, etc.  Special props for using two alumni of The Wire in central roles, plus adding a third in S2 in a secondary role.

I was glad that S2 moved on from the serial killer theme and embraced a different type of story.

It looks like S3 is available too, so we'll keep moving along.

I was lukewarm on season 1 but the second season was better and quite enjoyable to watch.

Third season has been even better than the second. 5 more episodes to go. Like you I'm glad they moved on from the serial killer storyline and season 3 in particular seems to have upped the game character wise.

• 5 months later...

Amazon Prime Video recommissions Bosch for Season five, sets date for Season four

EXCLUSIVE: Ahead of Bosch‘s Season 4 premiere, which has been set for April 13, Amazon’s longest-running drama series has been renewed for a fifth season. Executive producer Eric Overmyer, who developed Bosch for television and served as showrunner for the first three seasons before leaving to become showrunner on another Amazon drama series, The Man In the High Castle, is returning. He will serve as co-showrunner alongside executive producer Daniel Pyne, who succeeded Overmyer as Bosch showrunner for Season 4.

In the ten-episode season four, when an attorney is murdered on the eve of his civil rights trial against the LAPD, Bosch is assigned to lead a task force to solve the crime before the city erupts in a riot. Bosch must pursue every lead, even if it turns the spotlight back on his own department. One murder intertwines with another, and Bosch must reconcile his past to find a justice that has long eluded him.

Bosch Season 4 - Official Trailer

• 1 month later...
On 13-4-2018 at 7:06 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Season 4 is out.Gonna be watching this, along with Lost in Space for my weekend binge! :D

Thanks, I didn't know it released all at once, nice surprise.

Lost in Space is on my interest list as well.

They need to balance the sound for the damn intro on this show.  Every time I'm watching it the volume is perfectly fine during the first scene, but as soon as that credit music hits it's blasting me out of my fucking couch.

• 10 months later...

Bosch was maybe my favorite discovery of 2018.  Glad there's another season coming.  The ensemble of this LA universe is wonderful.  Most of all I appreciated how 'black' the show is, despite having, of course, a white male lead.  Nothing is made of how almost all his colleagues and his superiors are black, and that's refreshing all by itself.  That doesn't mean that being black, and being black in a cop shop, in LA, has no effect on the characters -- that would be unrealistic.  Which is also refreshing.

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Bosch was maybe my favorite discovery of 2018.  Glad there's another season coming.  The ensemble of this LA universe is wonderful.  Most of all I appreciated how 'black' the show is, despite having, of course, a white male lead.  Nothing is made of how almost all his colleagues and his superiors are black, and that's refreshing all by itself.  That doesn't mean that being black, and being black in a cop shop, in LA, has no effect on the characters -- that would be unrealistic.  Which is also refreshing.

Bosch felt kind of like a cross between The Shield and The Wire.  It's not as good as either but it's a very enjoyable show.

I had forgotten about this thread... 19th of April,,, excellent... gotta mark it down on the calendar.

My only nitpick with the show is Jamie Hector... Maybe it's because he'll always be Marlow to me, but I've seen and enjoyed other actors from the Wire in other things... But he's the exact same character, only with a badge... it's a weird, detached, aloofness, like he'd be wearing the same expression eating a piece of cake, or drowning a kitten in a bathtub... It worked great as Marlow because he was playing a sociopath.... Maybe they just haven't done a good enough job with his backstory in the military (which would explain the oddness)... but he's supposed to be sarcastic and witty, and it just doesn't plpay right... 

... but then again, I'm an asshole... so WTF do I know?

Archived