Bosch... Amazon Original

Martini Sigil

My friend and I did the first episode last night (via email).  We were going to do an episode a night, but we did 2 and 3 tonight.  If he wasn't going for his nightly many-miles bike ride and I wasn't so tired, we may have watched more.  He sleeps most of the day, lives by night.  We are the opposite over here.

It's so good to see Bosch and the Bosch regulars again. I'm at the episode where Edgar is in Irving's office and the question arose in my mind, with respect to the two actors, - Did Marlo ever have a scene with Daniels in The Wire? I'm not sure I prefer Reddick's Daniels or Irvine. Maybe Daniels, because he was navigating in a pit of vipers. And on that navigation note, how great was Reddick's Captain in Castlevania?  

Finished this pretty quick and liked this season a lot more than S5.

Spoiler

Thought some things were telegraphed pretty heavy. It was clear the wife thing was staged and clear that the FBI agent was in on it based on his behaviors.  I like the tie in to the fringe group because it shows how some things can cause those groups to be even more radicalized.  I also really thought the female FBI agent was involved but I guess not. 

There is one more season coming right?

• 11 months later...

'Bosch' Spinoff a Go at Amazon's IMDb TV

Bosch is set to end on Amazon's Prime Video later this year, but the character of Harry Bosch will live on in a spinoff at the tech giant's ad-supported streaming service, IMDb TV.

Titus Welliver, Mimi Rogers and Madison Lintz will continue their roles on the spinoff, and much of the Bosch creative team, including series creator Eric Overmyer and author Michael Connelly, is also involved. The untitled spinoff is slated to begin filming later this year; the seventh and final season of Bosch will debut in the summer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bosch-spinoff-imdb-tv

BTW, for those of us who have loved the Bosch AP Original, and would like something 'like', Australian television's Jack Irish has some of the same flavors.

However, having finished the first season of Jack Irish, I don't recall any protagonist in such a series so severely beaten so many separate times throughout the story arc / season as Jack Irish.  I honestly do not know, not only why he's still alive-O, much less functioning after that first beating, so how does he survive the next ones?

Well, maybe some of the characters in Warrior go through that too?  But they are trained for being beaten.  Jack Irish ain't.

So looking forward to season 7 of Bosch!  (BTW, Jack Irish also has a dead pan comic element in the mix, that generally is very serious stuff, thanks to secondary characters.)

7 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Imdb tv? What the hell? Amazon already has a streaming platform and they're making a 2nd one?

IMDB TV has unskippable ads.  This is Amazon’s way of finding a balance between collecting subscriptions for Prime while also getting ad revenue on some of the content.  Hulu is doing something similar as they now include ads on some in-demand current-season content even if you pay the ad-free premium subscription.  They’re unwilling to give up the ad revenue from captive eyeballs.

Amazon can experiment with IMDB TV to see what is our tolerance for ads.  They’re doing the opposite to Hulu: showing ads on content that is not much in demand and otherwise free.  They can siphon off some of the Prime streaming into IMDB to see how many people will view it there.

If anything, the Prime subscription is a nonsensical bundle: free delivery, streaming of a relatively weak TV & movie catalogue, music streaming, plus some other things I don’t even notice.  It’s a good way for Amazon to expand into new service areas with loyal customers but eventually they’ll want to charge a separate fee for streaming.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 5:21 PM, WarGalley said:

No new footage there. I wonder if there will be a new season-long crime to solve or if the entire thing will be dedicated to the Eleanor and dirty cop plotlines.

Well the new trailer answers that question. Almost feel like there's too much in this trailer.

"female Stringer Bell" LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I caught that Wire reference.

Also, woo, it begins NY's Eve 2019 and goes into 2020 then.  And we know what the characters don't.  Have only watched the first episode, and won't be able to watch more until tomorrow night.

Only 8 episodes? Dang. On episode 2 and I'm not enamored of the J Edgar plotline so far. Not sure they should have made that a focus for the final season. I guess there's also no more to the Eleanor / shady Chinese government plotline.. or at least I can't see how they could fit that in with everything else.

Finished the season. Not perfect but still enjoyable. A lot of the credibility, with some of the events this season, needed more time to marinate, and eight episodes could easily have used a couple more episodes to let those events breathe.

Spoiler

Glad they didn't let J Edgar's malaise drag on. He looks terrible in a unkempt suit.

The Irving arc felt too forced as well, is there no one in the upper echelon of the LAPD or Mayor's office who is infallible?

The ending was inevitable. I've been wondering when they were going to follow the books and have Bosch leave the department and become a private investigator. But it was nice to have several seasons with the team they'd built up at the Hollywood division.

Love Detectives Johnson and Moore, old school. Jimmy is a great character too, I suspect he may well end up partnering with J Edgar when the latter moves to join his division - and hopefully we may see them in a cameo when Bosch asks for a favour in the spinoff series.   

20 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Only 8 episodes? Dang. On episode 2 and I'm not enamored of the J Edgar plotline so far. Not sure they should have made that a focus for the final season. I guess there's also no more to the Eleanor / shady Chinese government plotline.. or at least I can't see how they could fit that in with everything else.

There seems to be a lot of this in the television series that were trying so hard to keep to production deadlines, health regulations, constant interruptions due to positive tests among cast and crew, and the rest.

I try to spot their work-arounds. Some series are more obvious than others.  One give-away is a lot of walking -talking scenes, but the participants are spaced much further from each other than they would have been pre-covid.  It's also complicated non-linear shooting, or even working on a single episode at at time.  Continuity can get difficult!

Archived