Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

Hello the board!

I have been spending more time at home for a variety of reasons.  This has led me to listening to more Podcasts.

What are your favorites?  

I've got Amazon's Echo arriving on the sixth of April.  Any advice on using her to organize my current podcasts would also be appreciated.

50 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I've got Amazon's Echo arriving on the sixth of April.  Any advice on using her to organize my current podcasts would also be appreciated.

I have no idea what Amazon Echo is but on Android I would say the AntennaPod app is definitely the best way to organise them. There are so many popular podcast apps that are just utter trash. 

Welcome to Night Vale - seriously this is awesome.

Alice Isn't Dead - new podcast from the makers of Night Vale.

And I'll second Myths and Legends, really cool stuff.

Also you can get good SFF short stories from Clarkesworld and Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and great literary short stories from The New Yorker (these are really cool because not only are the written by famous authors, but are also read by other famous authors).

13 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Welcome to Night Vale - seriously this is awesome.

Alice Isn't Dead - new podcast from the makers of Night Vale.

And I'll second Myths and Legends, really cool stuff.

Also you can get good SFF short stories from Clarkesworld and Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and great literary short stories from The New Yorker (these are really cool because not only are the written by famous authors, but are also read by other famous authors).

I'm having some trouble with a couple of the narrators from Welcome to the Night Vale, but ALICE is so good I've already listened to the first two episodes twice and my shirt is on the way.

21 minutes ago, Gears of the Beast said:

I have no idea what Amazon Echo is but on Android I would say the AntennaPod app is definitely the best way to organise them. There are so many popular podcast apps that are just utter trash. 

Thank you.  I have an android platform and have had a really rough time with podcasts.  I think the echo is compatible with most platforms, but I won't know until it gets here and I have to talk to it.

39 minutes ago, -Ghost- said:

The Joe Rogan Experience

History on Fire

The Fighter and the Kid

Myths and Legends

The Church of What's Happening Now

These are all new for me.  Thank you, I will be using my broom much more often than the vacuum this month around the house.

Edited by Lily Valley

I use BeyondPod on Android to keep track of all mine. 

Some of my favorites:

Smodcast

Shut Up & Sit Down (board games)

Sword & Scale (true crime)

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (American panel show)

The Unbelievable Truth (English panel show)

This Is Actually Happening (short, first person accounts of bizarre or unsettling experiences. For example the first episode is 'What if your boyfriend lit himself on fire') 

13 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I use BeyondPod on Android to keep track of all mine. 

Some of my favorites:

Smodcast

Shut Up & Sit Down (board games)

Sword & Scale (true crime)

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (American panel show)

The Unbelievable Truth (English panel show)

This Is Actually Happening (short, first person accounts of bizarre or unsettling experiences. For example the first episode is 'What if your boyfriend lit himself on fire') 

OMG.  Pod made an app for Podcasts?

In all seriousness, This is Actually Happening looks awesome.

Gave Welcome to Nightvale another shot by starting with the pilot.  I think my problem was a style thing and going to give it a few more episodes.  The premise is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got my new Echo and have been struggling to boss it around.  I am still looking for a good app for podcast organization that is compatible with it.  I will update again over the weekend when I have more time.  

I listen to podcasts the old fashioned way. I subscribe to the ones I like on iTunes and hit the refresh button once each morning to download all the latest episodes. Every couple of days I hook up my old iPod classic to my computer to sync up and to get the new ones onto it. I mostly listened to them on the iPod, but sometimes I'll do PC listening while I'm playing a video game. And I have my iTunes set to never delete from my PC episodes I've already listened to (except for the real topical ones, like sports and pop culture ones).

No apps, no streaming, no fuss. Everything is just alphabetical, and my iPod only has new episodes I haven't heard yet.

Some of my favorites are:

Channel 33

The Bill Simmons Podcast

The Giant Beastcast

The Giant Bombcast

Comedy Bang Bang

Spontaneanation

Superego

Never Not Funny

The Dead Authors Podcast

How Did This Get Made

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast (also Thursday Podcast, he does 2 a week)

I'll second Marc Maron's WTF podcast. He gets some great guests and is a very good interviewer.

Greg Fitzsimmons Fitzdog Radio podcasts.

All are kind of Stand-up comic centric, but both Maron and Fitzsimmons feature guests from all over the Entertainment spectrum. Burr doesn't typically have guests, he just kind of rants about his everyday life and his travels. 

On 4/8/2016 at 0:51 PM, Fez said:

Comedy Bang Bang

Been listening to a bunch of these (mostly You Tube excerpts) last night and this morning. While they are a bit hit and miss, when they are on they are fucking hilarious. Some really talented improv going on here, and the host is an accomplished straight man. Just got through "Personal Trainer Bill Carter" parts one and two. Laugh out loud funny. Thanks for the rec.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

• 7 months later...