Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

2 hours ago, red snow said:

makes me wonder how much stuff we've missed out on. I think in some cases it mutates into a different show eg I think he said his "death throes of the republic" was initially meant to be a short episode on Cleopatra but he found himself getting stuck down a spiral of explaining the background.

Maybe at some point he'll do something with the almost finished podcasts he abandoned as I get the feeling they'd be ok. Although i respect him for having a high personal level of quality control - it's probably why he has such a good track record.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I bet I'd probably love most of what he's thrown away. That said, you can't argue with the finished product. The guy is pretty amazing.

So I'm about 2 hours into the new Hardcore History. It meanders quite a bit for the first hour and 20 minutes or so, as I think the scope of this topic is really broad. It takes him quite awhile to define Celtics, which I guess is a problem that goes hand in hand with the topic. He settles on anyone who identifies as a Celt, which I thought was kind of humorous. Seems like the timeline for this one was really broad as well. It picked up steam for me when he hit on the bit regarding Caesar starting to build his rep as a military genius against the Helvetians in about 58 BCE. Hopefully it continues along that path.

On 11/08/2017 at 7:55 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So I'm about 2 hours into the new Hardcore History. It meanders quite a bit for the first hour and 20 minutes or so, as I think the scope of this topic is really broad. It takes him quite awhile to define Celtics, which I guess is a problem that goes hand in hand with the topic. He settles on anyone who identifies as a Celt, which I thought was kind of humorous. Seems like the timeline for this one was really broad as well. It picked up steam for me when he hit on the bit regarding Caesar starting to build his rep as a military genius against the Helvetians in about 58 BCE. Hopefully it continues along that path.

It feels very much like an inbetween-qel to his final installment of "Death throes of the republic". It sort of felt like it could have just been called "Caesar's invasion of Gaul" to be honest. It didn't really stray that far away from his involvement.

He did however make it very clear that there are many ways of pronouncing Belgay.

Not his strongest but still enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

It feels very much like an inbetween-qel to his final installment of "Death throes of the republic". It sort of felt like it could have just been called "Caesar's invasion of Gaul" to be honest. It didn't really stray that far away from his involvement.

He did however make it very clear that there are many ways of pronouncing Belgay.

Not his strongest but still enjoyable.

Yeah, I still haven't finished it. I think I'm at about the 4 and a half hour mark. Thus far, I'd have to agree. It seems much like putting a magnifying glass to one small portion of the Death Throes of the Republic series. I really dig the artwork of that tattooed Celtic Warrior on the top of the page though. I'd buy that shirt in a second.

I listen to podcasts constantly.  My faves are - 

• The Black Tapes - it's coming back in Sept. and I cannot wait.  Really good stuff.  Creepy and awesome.  Am listening to Tanis in the meantime and it's just okay.
  • Jim Harold's Campfire - people call in and tell their ghost stories/ufo encounters, etc.  Very entertaining, although there are times when I have to fast forward through it because the person calling in is a moron.
  • You Must Remember This - all about old Hollywood.  Lots of history and little known facts as well as juicy gossip.  If you're a fan of the golden age of Hollywood and old movies, it's the cat's meow.
  • TED Radio Hour - inspirational, science, technology, engineering, design stuff.  (obviously)
  • Hello From the Magic Tavern - one of my favorites.  Comedy by an improv group from Chicago that's a riff on Lord of the Rings - it's hysterically funny at times and just goofy others, but always fun.
  • Lore - I think everyone knows about this one.  It's creepy history.  I dig it.  
  • Unexplained - A lesser version of Lore but still good.
  • Up and Vanished - it was sooooo good.  Followed this disappearance in Ocilla, GA and it was fantastic.
  • S-town - another small town southern gothic type based on real people.  This one is disturbing, and heart-breaking.

I tried Welcome to Night Vale but couldn't get into it.  

Good Pod Save America podcast from 8/17 featuring an interview with the Vice reporter Elle Reeve who was the star of that video everyone was talking about up on the politics thread. Pretty cool first hand account of some of the craziness she witnessed.

https://getcrookedmedia.com/here-have-a-podcast-78ee56b5a323

On 23/08/2017 at 5:24 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

For @Channel4s-JonSnow Sam Harris and Douglas Murray did another sit down centered mostly on Charlottesville and Identity Politics, and get back into some of the finer points of his book at the end of the podcast. Interesting stuff.

I listened to it yesterday. Was ok, I kind of wanted there to be more in there, to get a different take on the events. I think they were both extremely careful in what they said and not sure there was a great deal of insight in it. Interesting points about Harris curating exactly who he will speak to in interviews, whereas Murray is ok with getting around a table with anyone, even if people link him by association to them. I think he needs to be a bit more careful.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:52 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I listened to it yesterday. Was ok, I kind of wanted there to be more in there, to get a different take on the events. I think they were both extremely careful in what they said and not sure there was a great deal of insight in it. Interesting points about Harris curating exactly who he will speak to in interviews, whereas Murray is ok with getting around a table with anyone, even if people link him by association to them. I think he needs to be a bit more careful.

Yeah, it wasn't as good as their last, for sure. I thought they were relatively forthright though. Had they been posting in the politics thread here, they would've been lambasted. 

On 7/22/2017 at 1:11 PM, Triskan said:

I hate the iTunes podcast feature with a fury that frightens me when I reflect upon it.

I admit I'm not the most tech-savvy, but it's so un-user-friendly to me.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the settings to stay consistent on showing me what I want and not downloading every past episode of things and whatnot.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I can't remember specifically, but my life has been better since I got rid of my ipod (and itunes completely--which was tough given most apps don't want to play my music) and stuck to the Pocketcast App on my Samsung. Everything works as I want it too. I remember being shocked at how customizable it is. And it has most podcasts. I really think Apple is putting out bad apps--especially if you don't have an Apple product to run them on. 

So...I've been listening to this Last Podcast on the Left. I think it started out as a horror movie podcast, but turned into a conspiracy theory podcast. I've always thought of myself as an "edgy" guy. Then I listened to their Chris Benoit episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need to trawl back through this thread for recs.  I just started season 2 of Serial and I can tell already it'll be another pointless, inconclusive musing about how can we know what really happened.  I knew half way through season 1 that I should abandon it but I was too busy to find an alternative.  Sarah Kanig is great, but these open-ended investigations don't grab me.  You can do investigative journalism or you can do inconclusive philosophical meandering about imagine what if this happened to you, but they don't combine well. (I realize lots of people disagree because the series got a huge audience, but so does Dan Brown)

Although S-town started really strongly, it descended into some cheap voyeurism by the end.  I felt sad for John B., and even sadder that his personal tragedy was publicized like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am looking for a specific kind of podcast.  I'm kind of getting into the murder myster/conspiracy stuff, but with a BIG caveat. I want hosts who are willing to openly mock the subject matter of conspiracies. I thought I found it in Last Podcast on the Left until the episodes on our evil satanic overlord cult that they bought into. 

I have tried a number of these, but the moment I get a whiff of "we know what you think about Sandy Hook, but we just want to ask some questions..." then I'm unsubscribing. There must be some cynical asshole who is out there just ripping this shit to pieces? Right? I'd love that.

38 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

So, I am looking for a specific kind of podcast.  I'm kind of getting into the murder myster/conspiracy stuff, but with a BIG caveat. I want hosts who are willing to openly mock the subject matter of conspiracies. I thought I found it in Last Podcast on the Left until the episodes on our evil satanic overlord cult that they bought into. 

I have tried a number of these, but the moment I get a whiff of "we know what you think about Sandy Hook, but we just want to ask some questions..." then I'm unsubscribing. There must be some cynical asshole who is out there just ripping this shit to pieces? Right? I'd love that.

It's not a podcast but "American Vandal" sounds like the TV equivalent of what you're looking for. Puerile crime treat deadly seriously and lots of utterly ridiculous conspiracies.

Archived