Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

6 hours ago, red snow said:

It's not a podcast but "American Vandal" sounds like the TV equivalent of what you're looking for. Puerile crime treat deadly seriously and lots of utterly ridiculous conspiracies.

So I found this in an NPR Review of American Vandal: "

There is a moment about fifteen minutes into the premiere of the eight-episode Netflix series American Vandal when I knew it had its hooks in me.

It's a scene in which two student documentary filmmakers — Peter (Tyler Alvarez) and Sam (Griffin Gluck) — are examining evidence.

They're comparing photographs. One set of photos captures the 27 penises that were spray-painted on 27 cars in their high school's faculty parking lot (the crime that's the subject of their documentary). The other set of photos are examples of the penises that chief suspect Dylan (Jimmy Tatro, turning mouth-breathing into high art) is known for scrawling, every morning, on the whiteboard in the classroom of a hated teacher."

I'm in. I definitely lol'd.

I'll still take podcast recommendations as well.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

So I found this in an NPR Review of American Vandal: "

There is a moment about fifteen minutes into the premiere of the eight-episode Netflix series American Vandal when I knew it had its hooks in me.

It's a scene in which two student documentary filmmakers — Peter (Tyler Alvarez) and Sam (Griffin Gluck) — are examining evidence.

They're comparing photographs. One set of photos captures the 27 penises that were spray-painted on 27 cars in their high school's faculty parking lot (the crime that's the subject of their documentary). The other set of photos are examples of the penises that chief suspect Dylan (Jimmy Tatro, turning mouth-breathing into high art) is known for scrawling, every morning, on the whiteboard in the classroom of a hated teacher."

I'm in. I definitely lol'd.

I'll still take podcast recommendations as well.

Is that where the lack of hair on the ballsacks is considered evidence?

On a more podcast related note has anyone had the chance of reading Mike Duncan's book on Rome? I'm curious about it and would like to support him for all the entertainment he's provided me. Although I was wondering whether it differs greatly from the podcast or not?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2017 at 8:22 AM, Simon Steele said:

So, I am looking for a specific kind of podcast.  I'm kind of getting into the murder myster/conspiracy stuff, but with a BIG caveat. I want hosts who are willing to openly mock the subject matter of conspiracies. I thought I found it in Last Podcast on the Left until the episodes on our evil satanic overlord cult that they bought into. 

I have tried a number of these, but the moment I get a whiff of "we know what you think about Sandy Hook, but we just want to ask some questions..." then I'm unsubscribing. There must be some cynical asshole who is out there just ripping this shit to pieces? Right? I'd love that.

Let me Google that for you... 

Some interesting results and this seems to meet your exact specifications - 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-conspiracy-skeptic/id267806750?mt=2

On 05/11/2017 at 3:10 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Dan Carlin has a new Common Sense out titled Shades of Grey

Solid rant about the current degeneration of our political system 

he always seems to post something right at the point i stop checking every other day!

Almost finished Mike Duncan's book - well worth it so far and while it lacks the humour if the podcast it's not just a rehash of earlier material

EDIT: oddly I can't find it on his actual site. youtube link will have to suffice

Edited by red snow

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

he always seems to post something right at the point i stop checking every other day!

Almost finished Mike Duncan's book - well worth it so far and while it lacks the humour if the podcast it's not just a rehash of earlier material

EDIT: oddly I can't find it on his actual site. youtube link will have to suffice

Yeah, I just happened to be really bored Saturday night and came across it on his site...

http://www.dancarlin.com/

He usually has the latest Hardcore History and Common Sense podcasts on the bottom of his intro page. I just post up the You Tube versions because they open up directly from the link.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I just happened to be really bored Saturday night and came across it on his site...

http://www.dancarlin.com/

He usually has the latest Hardcore History and Common Sense podcasts on the bottom of his intro page. I just post up the You Tube versions because they open up directly from the link.

I was looking on the common sense page - it hasn't got there yet. Good to be able to download it for listening on my phone.

It's a good old rant but I do find his stance on free speech valid and almost noble these days. Although i get the feeling he's getting a lot of crap of listeners with some of his comments these days.

20 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a good old rant but I do find his stance on free speech valid and almost noble these days. Although i get the feeling he's getting a lot of crap of listeners with some of his comments these days.

Yeah, I love his stance on Free Speech. It's rather validating for me. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I love his stance on Free Speech. It's rather validating for me. 

I applaud his stance with it and agree with him that having special exceptions is a real slippery slope as you don't know who'll be an exception next. It's harder to fight fascism with an opposing convincing narrative than to simply silence it but it's a better way.

It's a shame I think he's on the mark with how the internet is becoming a divisive element in society with or without active encouragement from other states.

Seems promising regarding his comments on the history podcast. I know he's tried to do different less time consuming approaches before but hopefully he'll pull it of this time. I've actually enjoyed his interview approaches. I'd personally love it if he had some historians/fellow podcasters on to discuss a topic - a bit like the "in our time" format but ideally with people who have different takes/opinions. I think hearing Dan argue with someone would be fun. I'll have to see if he's done anything like that on someone else's show.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

Seems promising regarding his comments on the history podcast. I know he's tried to do different less time consuming approaches before but hopefully he'll pull it of this time. I've actually enjoyed his interview approaches. I'd personally love it if he had some historians/fellow podcasters on to discuss a topic - a bit like the "in our time" format but ideally with people who have different takes/opinions. I think hearing Dan argue with someone would be fun. I'll have to see if he's done anything like that on someone else's show.

Yeah, I'm excited about that prospect as well, especially if it means more content, more often. I think his perfectionism will likely prevent that from happening, but I can hope.

He doesn't often do interview podcasts on his own podcast, but he has done a fair number of interviews on other podcasts. He's been on Rogan a number of times, and he and Sam Harris did a crosscast that was really good. His episode on Dave Rubin was probably Rubin's best (which might not be saying much, but it was a fun watch regardless) If you search Dan Carlin interviews on You Tube you'll come across quite a few. 

Carlin is also a big fan of Punk Rock, particularly the brand that came out of SoCal when he was a teen/young adult. I posted up an interview he did on a Punk Rock themed podcast earlier in this thread somewhere. That was a fun listen as well, especially if you're into Punk. 

thanks for the youtube ideas regarding his appearances elsewhere.

I agree with perfectionism getting in the way. I think that's why the interview style would help him as he wouldn't get the opportunity to obsessively plan and overthink things. It's pretty clear now that we've missed out on a few shows because they've gotten out of hand or he's decided they weren't working.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

thanks for the youtube ideas regarding his appearances elsewhere.

I agree with perfectionism getting in the way. I think that's why the interview style would help him as he wouldn't get the opportunity to obsessively plan and overthink things. It's pretty clear now that we've missed out on a few shows because they've gotten out of hand or he's decided they weren't working.

No worries.

Yeah, I think he mentioned in that last Common Sense podcast that this was his 4th attempt at that particular subject. :rolleyes:

It's hard to hold his feet to the fire given the quality of his content, but the sporadic nature of his releases can be a little annoying. 

Just came across this one on YouTube. From the comments section it looks like it might be a preview of the snippet idea for Hardcore History that he was talking about at the start of the last Common Sense podcast. Cool topic.

@Pony Queen Jace @red snow

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

32 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just came across this one on YouTube. From the comments section it looks like it might be a preview of the snippet idea for Hardcore History that he was talking about at the start of the last Common Sense podcast. Cool topic.

Listening now, love love love Manhole Thanks! I'll slaughter a few thousand Sassanids under the walls of Jerusalem in your name tonight.

Don't worry babe, you ain't goin in the gimp suit ;)

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Some great catches there manhole!

"which was better" format could certainly work as a short-form show as we know he loves to go off on "best army/general" asides.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

Some great catches there manhole!

"which was better" format could certainly work as a short-form show as we know he loves to go off on "best army/general" asides.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that last one. As soon as he got to that Goring bit, I knew it was going to be fun.

"If the Allies had some sort of crack commando group whose mission it was to go into the Third Reich and kill various Nazi luminaries, their first directive would've been whatever you do, don't shoot Hermann Goring." Lulz.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

5 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that last one. As soon as he got to that Goring bit, I knew it was going to be fun.

"If the Allies had some sort of crack commando group whose mission it was to go into the Third Reich and kill various Nazi luminaries, there first directive would've been whatever you do, don't shoot Hermann Goring." Lulz.

He really isn't a fan of Goring and that's saying something given his universal unpopularity. So entertaining listening to him list all his faults. It also seemed insane how Hitler gave utterly unqualified people such important jobs. He makes a good argument that Germany had an excellent military that was let down by the Nazis.

Good start to his new approach.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

He really isn't a fan of Goring and that's saying something given his universal unpopularity. So entertaining listening to him list all his faults. It also seemed insane how Hitler gave utterly unqualified people such important jobs. He makes a good argument that Germany had an excellent military that was let down by the Nazis.

Good start to his new approach.

Yeah, I know it's an often expressed idea, but I think the whole "Hitler was the Wehrmachts worst enemy" holds pretty true.

I enjoyed that episode a lot. Willing to trade the shorter format for more frequent content posting for sure. I kind of hope he trends this way.

On 17/08/2017 at 11:25 PM, Elder Sister said:

I listen to podcasts constantly.  My faves are - 

• Lore - I think everyone knows about this one.  It's creepy history.  I dig it.  

Actually this is the first time I've ever head of it. Seems worth checking out, thanks.