Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

14 minutes ago, Seli said:

The new Hardcore History was fine. But he definitely seems shaken by political developments in the US, and the constant comparisons between modern day experience and the past seems to have disappeared as a result.

I have enjoyed the Farm to Taber podcast, exploring developments in food security and farming. As well as the Hammer House of Podcast, which explores the Hammer horror films one by one.

Another nice relaxing joyful podcast has been Sheep Might Fly by Tansy Rayner Roberts, where she serializes new material as well as existing short stories.

The trump administration has really shook Carlin's foundations probably because he's frustrated at finally getting that out there president operating (essentially) outside the two party system.

Other good history podcasts I've been listening to lately are "how to invent a country" which is a fascinating series looking at how countries like germany, USA and Netherlands came into existence/changed over time. They've all been good so far particularly Germany and the Netherlands where you realise other European powers deliberately stopped them from forming/growing for centuries. Looking forward to ones on south American nations.

I also stumbled upon "cold war stories" on BBC that seems to cover a lot of the cold war in 15-20 minute segments. It's heavy on accounts from people who lived through the events which is always an interesting approach (and also important to get recordings of this accounts)

Sadly I haven't been able to get into "the history of the world in 200 objects" latest project on religions which is a shame as I've enjoyed his other shows.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Other good history podcasts I've been listening to lately are "how to invent a country" which is a fascinating series looking at how countries like germany, USA and Netherlands came into existence/changed over time. They've all been good so far particularly Germany and the Netherlands where you realise other European powers deliberately stopped them from forming/growing for centuries. Looking forward to ones on south American nations.

Oh, that seems interesting, thanks.

I've been enjoying Daniele Bolelli's History on Fire podcast. His sense of humor is great. (He described Spartacus as  a cross between Martin Luther King, Jr. and Conan the Barbarian. :) ) Not as long or detailed as Dan Carlin's, but loving Bolelli as a host. Some of my favs are his episodes on the Magliana Gang, the Battle for the Black Hills, the Conquest of Mexico and the Slave Wars.

I've also been listening to Matt Alber's The Pirate History Podcast. Only a few episodes in and enjoying them.

• 1 month later...

A podcast I've enjoyed recently is Chips with Everything, a technology podcast produced by the Guardian.

And another in my habit of podcasts with people in-depth discussing tv-shows and films I haven't actually watched (recently) is Little Grey Cells, which is going through the David Suchet Poirot episodes in a chronological order.

18 hours ago, Seli said:

And another in my habit of podcasts with people in-depth discussing tv-shows and films I haven't actually watched (recently) is Little Grey Cells, which is going through the David Suchet Poirot episodes in a chronological order.

HA! I do the same thing. Matter of fact it was how I got into listening to podcasts in the first place way back in the dark ages of the medium.

1. See trailer for Serenity
  2. Google Serenity and end up on Whedon's website
  3. See a link to something called Firefly Talk, which is something called a "podcast" 
  4. Listen to Firefly Talk and its sister show The Signal for 2 whole months before ever watching Firefly
  5. Discover Podcast Alley due to the Firefly Talk and Signal hosts asking listeners to go over there and vote for their shows to move up the rankings, and there discover a whole wild west's worth of audio pioneers in what felt like a brand new game

Ahhh Podcast Alley. That's how a mofo discovered new shows back in the swirling mists of time before iTunes had any podcasts on it. It was how I discovered Kermode & Mayo's show in fact, as one of the first radio shows to grasp the potential of podcasting. 

Anyway, I listened to a podcast covering The Strain last year without ever having even seen a trailer for the show, although to be fair that was also because it was hosted by the same people who do the best Game of Thrones podcast in existence - The Joffrey of Podcasts

Also, good call on Chips with Everything.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished up Caliphate after having the first episode on my phone and not listening to it for ages. It's excellent although listening to a Canadian guy cheerfully recount his time in basically the ISIS version of the Gestapo during which he murdered 2 people is a little disturbing.

The new series of Serial has started but I'll probably wait for it to finish so I can binge it. I might start the BBC podcast The Ratline, mainly because it apparently has Stephen Fry reading the diary entries of a Nazi mass murderer which has to be entertaining.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Damn, this things been dead for three months? Anyways, I came across an episode of a show I like that I just had to post. It's from Sarah Spain's show and it's her interviewing a neuroscientist. Check it out:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25768985

I’ve been listening to the Employment Law and HR podcast for the past few months which is a really nice, short, easy to understand breakdown of various employmemt and HR issues (dismissals, grievances, minimum wage etc.) very good for those in practice, for anyone who is an employer themselves, or even those like me who are just interested in the topic

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Damn, this things been dead for three months? Anyways, I came across an episode of a show I like that I just had to post. It's from Sarah Spain's show and it's her interviewing a neuroscientist. Check it out:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25768985

Mainly dead as "brexitcast" was soaking up my listening time prior to the longer extension. Great show by the way and nice to see a bit more personality and sense of fun showing with this crop of bbc political journalists/presenters.

I've also started listening to "philosophise this" which reminds me a lot of "the history of room" but with philosophy as it's hook. There's over a hundred episodes so that's probably going to keep me busy for a while.

For laughs I've been working my way through adam buxton podcast. Initially just for the "adam and Joe" episodes then guests of interest. He had quite a good one recently with Marlon James discussing his new book and the controversy around "the green book" oscar win. James crushed Joe's "small steps" defense quite convincingly. Interesting guy.

Also listening to Geoff Norcott. He isn't everyone's cup of tea but i do enjoy a lot of his humour and it's good not to sit in an echo chamber. Certainly couldn't handle listening to non joking takes on brexit. He actually does quite a good section on male mental health where he admits his own problems and highlights all the "man-up" stigma surrounding male mental health. A good thing as I'm guessing a lot of his fans don't want to admit to such "weakness" so it's good there's some exposure to mental health in groups that probably need to be more aware of it.

So keeping pretty busy in podcast land while waiting for the next Dan Carlin release. Main reason i just checked was because people usually mention him here and I'm always way my subscription alerts may be a few hours behind.

• 5 weeks later...

Dan Carlin has finally gone off the deep-end with a 2 hour discussion about a theoretical battle of Hastings where the Normans were fighting Caesar and his legions instead of anglo-saxons. The weird thing is that there are still some real nuggets of history in there but i think a lot of people will find it far too jarring.

It's easily the worst thing he's done but i still enjoyed it for the sheer audacity and because i pictured the whole thing as me being in a pub with a drunk Dan Carlin who refuses to let me get a word in edgeways. He also at least prefaces the show with a warning it is very niche. He wasn't kidding

Edited by red snow

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Dan Carlin has finally gone off the deep-end with a 2 hour discussion about a theoretical battle of Hastings where the Normans were fighting Caesar and his legions instead of anglo-saxons. The weird thing is that there are still some real nuggets of history in there but i think a lot of people will find it far too jarring. 

It's easily the worst thing he's done but i still enjoyed it for the sheer audacity and because i pictured the whole thing as me being in a pub with a drunk Dan Carlin who refuses to let me get a word in edgeways. He also at least prefaces the show with a warning it is very niche. He wasn't kidding

Yeah, I  just finished listening to it, and it probably would have been more enjoyable with a beer or three.

He seems pretty enthusiastic talking about one of his hobbies, though, and thanks to that energy it was still reasonably entertaining to listen to.

Probably didn't hurt that I was listening to it while playing a video game that is based on a board game which was essentially an outgrowth of the kind of historical wargames he was talking about.

10 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Yeah, I  just finished listening to it, and it probably would have been more enjoyable with a beer or three.

He seems pretty enthusiastic talking about one of his hobbies, though, and thanks to that energy it was still reasonably entertaining to listen to.

Probably didn't hurt that I was listening to it while playing a video game that is based on a board game which was essentially an outgrowth of the kind of historical wargames he was talking about.

It is good to see he's been a history geek since childhood and how the focus has often been on the war side of the equation. Although i sometimes wonder where he found the friends to play these games - especially pre internet!

It is interesting the idea that armies may have been stronger at earlier points in time though. It probably just highlights how exceptional the romans and mongols were.

I also get the feeling we might see more output from him with readers requests asking him to do pairings of fantasy battles. Like you say he's enthusiastic about it and doesn't need to mske a 21 hour show trying to find a start point. It could be an interesting back door into getting him to cover certain eras he's avoided. I think I'd go for Napoleon vs the Mongols (we got a glimpse when he discussed waterloo). I've always wanted him to cover the french Revolution but the Napoleonic wars in particular. That and the American civil war.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've just read (well, listened) to Dan Carlin's book and thought I'd share my review as a few of us enjoy his podcast. It's a lazy copy/paste so forgive the tone. Definitely worth checking out and if you're someone who's been listening to his podcasts for free over the years it's a nice way to pay him a little back.

I'm a big fan of Dan's podcasts so supporting the book was a must. Thankfully his books are as enjoyable as his podcasts and it might well be that the editing process in writing a book vs his more open ad lib from notes podcast style.
The key thing here is to note this isn't a rehash or "greatest hits" novelization of his podcasts. There are familiar periods in history that he covered with "logical insanity", "Thor's angels" and "blueprint for armageddon" but this is new material and ties them (and other subjects together) via the theme of societal collapse and near misses which fans of Dan will know is an obsession of his.
The most enjoyable chapters are those focused on the Bronze age collapse which Dan has teased about doing a show on for over a decade but only ever skimmed the surface. Here, he goes into much more detail and charts all the various theories. I'm a fan of the mystery of the bronze age collapse and a couple of books have left me disappointed while Dan's version gave me lots of angles to digest.

Based on this outing I definitely think Dan should consider doing other books in future. I'm hoping the process maybe even helps him create more concise (and regular) podcasts in future in which case it's a win-win for his fans.

• 2 months later...

Really enjoying "You're Dead to Me." it's a history podcast that blends history and humour. Hosted by Greg Jenner, he is joined each episode by a comedian and an academic and they discuss their chosen topic of the episode. Its not a hugely detailed in depth history podcast, but it's a good entry into a variety of topics that I knew nothing of until now. For example I was listening to their episode on Mansa Musa over the weekend and I didn't have a clue who he was beforehand. 

It's really entertaining and it covers a very broad area, from LGBTQ history to Joan of Arc, the Aztecs, Saladdin and Stonehenge. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Really enjoying "You're Dead to Me." it's a history podcast that blends history and humour. Hosted by Greg Jenner, he is joined each episode by a comedian and an academic and they discuss their chosen topic of the episode. Its not a hugely detailed in depth history podcast, but it's a good entry into a variety of topics that I knew nothing of until now. For example I was listening to their episode on Mansa Musa over the weekend and I didn't have a clue who he was beforehand. 

It's really entertaining and it covers a very broad area, from LGBTQ history to Joan of Arc, the Aztecs, Saladdin and Stonehenge. 

And the second "series" has started. Off to a great start. First episode was Neanderthals which featured a hilarious bit on Neanderthal speechthat had me laugh out loud while I was listening (awkwardly, I was listening on the bus). Second episode was on Mary Shelley and that was fantastic! Like most I know her best for Frankenstein and little else. But her life was absolutely unbelievable. Definitely recommend listening to this one. And once again this fascinating info is presented in such an entertaining way. 

• 1 month later...

The Fall of Civilizations Podcast came into my Youtube recommendations this week. The audio only podcasts were released first, with the first ones coming out over a year ago. But now those same pocasts are being released with video (YouTube channel) and to steal a youtube comment, the subject presentation, music, and visual content is just sumptious. I listened to the first two during my walk to/from work, and as good as they are whilst commuting, watching the video presentation is so much better.  I'm interested enough to want to check out the creator/narrator Paul M.M.Cooper's published novels.  

Edited by ithanos