Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

Anyone ever listen to ALAB?  Stands for All Lawyers Are Bastards.  It's three lawyers who pick a legal issue and then give you a run down on it.  Their most recent one features some content that might have an appeal to those of you who read the Vivian St Black threads in Lit, or the E-book and book piracy stuff, or anyone who likes learning about intellectual property enforcement and authors behaving badly.  Or just some good old cryptozooerotica meets otherkin style sex stuff.  

It's about these two authors who write under the Omegaverse genre, which apparently is people who have wolf characteristics (even though not remotely scientifically accurate) and fuck all the time.  Kind of like twilight, apparently a bunch of people write this stuff, and this one author made a shit to of money out of it, and as soon as someone else started selling titles got their online distributor to go after her for copyright infringement.  It was fascinating.  A bizarre look into the legal methods available to edge out competition and worse.

This was the first entire episode I'd listened to, and I'd give it a 9/10.

I've followed two of these guys on twitter for awhile and for about two years suspected that one of them was secretly @sologdin

Edited by larrytheimp

Seems and interesting cast to check out. Need to get my eyes checked, read All Lawyers Are Bastards as... All Bastards Are Lawyers.

----------

I was looking through the JRE podcast back catalog and came across the Alex Jones episode from 2019. Wow, never thought that almost 5 hours of conspiracy theories could be so entertaining. Not sure what date Rogan is migrating the full podcast episodes from YouTube over to Spotify (which I stopped using a couple years back), but if I'm not mistaken, the JRE Clips will still be put out on YouTube.

Also been catching up with the latest Peter Attia MD podcasts exploring the latest in how to achieve meaningful longevity. It gets quite deep in the weeds at times but Attia often comes up with useful analogies to make things understandable, and there's some fascinating content.  

Also listened to the Yan-gant-y-tan episode on CelticMythsPodcast - good stuff. Thoughts did drift to ice cream when that ice-cream van drove by (at 5pm on a weekday, :)) Earlier I had started an episode which brought up the Cornish Pasty and I had to stop and venture out to find me a Cornish Pasty. The memory of enjoying Cornish Pasties in my childhood sure raised expectations. The mass produced supermarket Cornish Pastie I ended up getting was a poor replication for what memory serves. Apparently pasties made in Australia are allowed to be called "Cornish Pasties". I then lost where I was in the episode so decided to reset it to the start and listen to it another time. Now I'm curious if the supermarket Cornish Pastie would taste better with ice cream.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, MisterOJ said:

I don't know whether to refer to it as a scripted narrative podcast, or just old fashioned storytelling, but a relatively new podcast that is just absolutely excellent is Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a horror podcast about the old gods, haints, witches and other spooky stuff that inhabit the central Appalachians. 

I just can't say enough good things about it. I don't even like horror, really. But the narrator/writer/storyteller is nothing short of amazing. I'm probably a little bit biased, since that's where I'm from, but the stories are just top notch all the way around. The characters feel real and everything about the podcast from a technical aspect is really great - especially considering it's only been around for a few months and it's a pretty DIY operation.

Those of you that like things in the vein of Limetown, Alice Isn't Dead, Welcome To Nightvale, etc., should really check it out.

I came across the first episode of Old Gods of Appalachia as it showed as sample on the episode list for another horror podcast I was listening to (The White Vault) and I listened to it this past weekend. I liked the concept. Had to laugh at the implication that they really are the oldest mountains - reminscent of baseball's world series not actually being about the world but just about America. Really bad so-called Irish accents but quite liked the hillbilly music. The first ep was ok. I might try some more. But more than anything I was inspired to watch that youtube video again where a woman spends ten minutes talking about the difference in pronunciation of Appalachia. 

I have gone through a lot of horror podcasts in the past few months with my longer covid commute. So I am ready for some more suggestions if anyone has any. I am more after serial type things rather than short stories. I will list the ones I have already listened to below.

-The White Vault - recommended if you like 'snow and ice horror'

-Limetown - this reminded me of Lost, in a mystery solving way 

-Alice Isn't Dead - good but I felt like it petered out a little towards the end

-Blackwood - good, but short (I'm thinking there must be another series pending?)

-Mabel - really liked the fairy tale/folky aspects of this at first, but it felt like it became a bit self-indulgent as it went on and became less enjoyable.

-Unwell - this is still ongoing, described as a midwestern gothic horror, it feels different to traditional horror/solve-a-mystery podcasts

-The Black Tapes - started this yesterday and I am really enjoying it.

Anything along these lines that you have liked which I could try out?

Edited by Isis
Added another one

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this one in the Watching thread, but for cinephiles out there, can't recommend enough Edith Bowman's Soundtracking podcast, focused on film soundtracks and talking with the directors and composers behind them. Each episode is a mixture of selected music from the works of the director/composer and insightful interviews. She has an absolutely stellar list of directors interviewed. Just a handful: Luca Guadagnino, Quention Tarantino, Steven Soderbergh, Richard Linklater, Denis Villenueve, Christopher Guest, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Danny Boyle, Edgar Wright, Sofia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, Martin McDonaugh, Rian Johnson ... and, well, scores more (the podcast is up to episode 215). And of course some great composers and musicians, such as Cliff Martinez, Clint Mansell. and Ludwig Göransson, among others.

You can find it in most podcast aggregators, but on Spotify there are also associated playlists that have the tracks featured in each episode. Bowman's a good interviewer and the guests really respond well, providing a lot of insights and fun anecdotes (for example, learned that Refn originally envisioned the Pet Shop Boys scoring Bronson, and even met with them to that end only have to Neil Tennant tell him [quite kindly], "You can't afford us, baby" but allowed him to use "It's a Sin" for free.)

• 1 month later...

In a similar vein to the above, the release of Fincher's Mank made me aware that Peter Bogdanovich was featured in interviews across a number of episodes of The Plot Thickens, a podcast that will focus each season on a creator. Bogdanovich was a friend and collaborator with Welles, and helped see The Other Side of the Wind completed posthumously. He's a very interesting person, full of stories of figures of old (he was the first "film nerd" to make it as a director, and interviewed all sorts, with a number of excerpts from the interviews with the likes of Alfred Hitchcock, Howard Hawks, Jimmy Stewart, and more included in the podcast), and some fairly blunt, honest reminiscences from his own life and setbacks and mistakes (indeed, just listening to the epiode about The Last Picture Show -- fantastic film, if you haven't seen it, shot in black and white at Orson Welles's advice -- and the scandal of his sliding into an affair with Cybill Shepherd when Jeff Bridges, her co-star and erstwhile lover, was called away from the set for Coast Guard reserve duty for all of a week, nevermind the fact that Bogdanovich's wife and creative partner Polly Platt was also working on the film)

So, yeah, recommended for cinephiles.

Also, almost-but-not-completely coincidentally, the podcast is hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, grandson of Herman Mankiewicz (aka Mank), subject of Fincher's film. Haven't yet gotten to him talking to Bogdanovich about that bit of trivia, but it sounds like they'll get into the controversy around the writing credit for Citizen Kane at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to throw this in here.

I follow Bethesda/fallout on twitter and they tweeted something about a podcast and I had to check it out.  It is called Chad: A fallout 76 podcast and I found myself laughing my ass off to it.

It is a story driven podcast told from the perspective of the characters who are being played in Fallout 76.  It incorporates everything from dieing and leaving behind a small sack with all your junk, to the atom shop and everything in between.  If you like Fallout 76, or even if you don't, it is worth a listen.

I started listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast a few weeks back and I have found it really addictive. It's actually been very comforting to have this familiarity with the material and the hosts. It's been a bit of a comfort blanket during this stressful time. Occasionally there is the odd self indulgent story from Steve, but if I'm not in the mood for it I just skip (fast fwd 15 seconds) as necessary. There are interesting insights from the guests - the crew especially - that really round out my appreciation for the show. I'm looking forward to the episode with David Chase as a guest, next time I go on a long walk. The episodes are quite long, maybe 90 minutes average. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the show. 

Another couple of  podcasts I forgot to mention that I started listening to a few months ago is Fake Doctors Real Friends.  It is a scrubs rewatch podcast with Donal Faison and Zach Braff as hosts.  I find them both charming and their real life relationship is similiar to the show.  If you are a fan of the show, you may like this one.

Also A new day podcast (I believe is the name).  It is hosted by the three members of the WWE team the New Day and it is hilarious.  They tell stories, have guests on and generally have a good time.  Very fun to listen to.

• 2 months later...

A podcast recommendations I've been turned on to recently: 

The Fall of Civilizations, a well-produced history podcast hosted by Paul M.M. Cooper, an author (historical fiction, two novels so far which were apparently the fruit of his academic research) with a doctorate in the "cultural and literary significance of ruins" (which, IMO, is an amazingly cool thing to have written a dissertation on; his twitter is loaded with images of ruins, naturally). It is very much a survey of the topics -- Roman Britain, the Viking settlements of Greenland, the Inca, Angkor Wat, the Songhai Empire, the Byzantine Empire, etc. -- with a focus on the rise and decline of the societies in question. The first episodes being an hour long or so and skim the surface of the topics to some degree, but he gets more ambitious and dives in deeper as the series progresses. Music, voice actors reading from primary sources, and so on give a nice effect.

ETA: And... I just discovered he's done some gorgeously-produced video versions of the podcasts on Youtube. Crazy. He has a Patreon with some 2300 patrons which helps fund these.

Edited by Ran

4 hours ago, Ran said:

A podcast recommendations I've been turned on to recently: 

The Fall of Civilizations, a well-produced history podcast hosted by Paul M.M. Cooper, an author (historical fiction, two novels so far which were apparently the fruit of his academic research) with a doctorate in the "cultural and literary significance of ruins" (which, IMO, is an amazingly cool thing to have written a dissertation on; his twitter is loaded with images of ruins, naturally). It is very much a survey of the topics -- Roman Britain, the Viking settlements of Greenland, the Inca, Angkor Wat, the Songhai Empire, the Byzantine Empire, etc. -- with a focus on the rise and decline of the societies in question. The first episodes being an hour long or so and skim the surface of the topics to some degree, but he gets more ambitious and dives in deeper as the series progresses. Music, voice actors reading from primary sources, and so on give a nice effect.

ETA: And... I just discovered he's done some gorgeously-produced video versions of the podcasts on Youtube. Crazy. He has a Patreon with some 2300 patrons which helps fund these.

Glad you found this. I had recommended TFoC podcast a few pages back, and listed my favourites at the time.
There is a limit to how many more fallen civilizations Cooper could cover. Considering he has worked there as an English teacher I'm surprised he hasn't done one on the Anuradhapura period in Sri Lanka. IMHO the history of Hindu & Bhuddism at Anuradhapura/Polonnaruwa and Sigiriya and their surviving ruins are a match for the Hindu/Bhuddism story at Angkor in Cambodia.        

Come to think of it, there are a few fallen civilizations across India he could do as well. The Vijayanagara Empire, with some magnificent ruins at Hampi in central Southern India, is ripe for a TFoC episode.

47 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Glad you found this. I had recommended TFoC podcast a few pages back, and listed my favourites at the time.

Ah, wish I had found your recommendation earlier! Got turned onto it a month or so ago by a Twitter person I follow.

There is a limit to how many more fallen civilizations Cooper could cover. Considering he has worked there as an English teacher I'm surprised he hasn't done one on the Anuradhapura period in Sri Lanka.

Only a matter a time, I am sure. His first novel was set in Sri Lanka (the 13th century, though). I'm sure it's on his list. 

Come to think of it, there are a few fallen civilizations across India he could do as well. The Vijayanagara Empire, with some magnificent ruins at Hampi in central Southern India, is ripe for a TFoC episode.

Really suspect he'll tackle something in India as well. As you say, a lot to choose from.

I suspect he's got space for at least a good dozen more. Olmecs, Pharaonic Egypt, the Western Roman Empire, Mutapa, Cahokia, the Tang Dynasty...

Do you know if he's mentioned when another episode will appear? Starting to look that the amount of work going into them means 5-6 months between entries.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I suspect he's got space for at least a good dozen more. Olmecs, Pharaonic Egypt, the Western Roman Empire, Mutapa, Cahokia, the Tang Dynasty...

Though I would love to know more about the Olmecs I don't think we have unearthed enough about them or enough for Cooper to build an episode around it. I think the Olmecs fall into the category of civilizations that, due that lack of knowledge, is open to wide speculation. However if he does release an Olmec centred episode I'd be one of the first to welcome his interpretation.  

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Do you know if he's mentioned when another episode will appear? Starting to look that the amount of work going into them means 5-6 months between entries.

Haven't heard but the 12th episode, released last month (January), was the first new episode after creating video versions for the first 11 episodes.

Whether he releases a new sequence of audio episodes first before adding video to them, or can now release episodes as audio first followed shortly followed by a video version, I've not heard. IIRC Cooper's preferred method of interaction is via his twitter account, but I don't use twitter so i can't see if he's been asked or has answered the question.

• 1 month later...

We have just finished listening to The Battersea Poltergeist on BBC- something (not sure which channel, sorry). This is recommended for all of you horror/true crime fans. It's an investigation of a poltergeist case from the 1950's in south London. It has dramatisation parts (featuring Toby Jones and Dafne Keen) plus actual experts (who are not actors!) who review the evidence. There are eight episodes plus some short mini eps. We have really enjoyed it.

I binged my way through comedian and actor Connor Ratliff's Dead Eyes, which is an introspective, often amusing look into the life of an actor through the lens of a singular experience: he was hired to play a small role on Band of the Brothers, only to be told that the director of the episode -- Tom Hanks himself -- had reconsidered because he thought he had "dead eyes". What follows is an exploration through his memories, those of people affiliated in various degrees to that fateful decision, and the way that his experience is mirrored in the experiences of other actors. Despite his being a guy that probably no one here has ever heard of, he manages to have crossed paths with or otherwise get on board to be guests with a rather dizzying array of people -- Jon Hamm (whom he acted with in a summer production when he was a teenager), Seth Rogen (who auditioned for BoB), Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, D'Arcy Carden (friend from the improv group Upright Citizens Brigade), Lea Thompson (who shares the story of the time Baryshnikov called her 'stocky', plus her experience with Howard the Duck), Elijah Wood and Michael Conner Humphreys (who played young versions of Hanks's characters in Radio Flyer and Forrest Gump respectively), Aimee Mann (who lets him use a bunch of her tracks on the podcast), Rian Johnson (due to a weird Star Wars-related coincidence), and many more.

If you're just in it for Band of Brothers guests and have no patience for the exploration of it all, the 1st episode to get the story followed by, the 3rd where he talks with Adam Sims, the actor who got the role after he was fired, the 10th where out of nowhere Ron Livingston (Lewis Nixon from Band) reached out to be a guest. He also talks with another actor, a Scottish actor,  who had his own rather unpleasant experience on the show. They do something cool to cap off that episode.

Then the 13th episode, where he talks to his agent and her assistant at the time who were the ones who relayed him the news, and the differing recollections they have. And finally, the 20th episode, where he talks with Erik Jendresen who was the lead writer on the show and who helped develop the show bible with Hanks while spending many hours with the late Major Dick Winters. They unravel a mystery or two along the way, including correcting the identification of a person that was misidentified to them from a famous photo of a bunch of the officers of the company at the Berghof. 

It's such a small incident on which to hang a 20 episode podcast (with another season to come, apparently, as Ratliff still hopes that Tom Hanks himself will be willing to appear), but it's interesting to get this look into a struggling actor's life and exploring it through all these different frames. Very engaging, at least for me.

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2021 at 12:00 AM, mcbigski said:

Listened to a rec from a friend about Revolutions.  I quite enjoyed History of Rome, not really sure why I didn't jump right into the next Mike Duncan offerring right away, but quite enjoying Revolutions.

I think Conan O'Brien plugged that one as well.

The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of podcast about Hollywood props and costumes, co-hosted by David Mandel (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep) and Ryan J. Condal (House of the Dragon) has returned for its second season. First episode opens with talking about their return (they lost "only a little" money, and their demographic is apparently 96-98% male, heh) and future plans (Condal plans to have someone from the production of HotD as a guest at some point, wouldn't  surprise me if Mandel did the same from his current production for HBO, The White House Plumbers), then they get into the meat of it: Indiana Jones, the 40th anniversary of the release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the travails and minutiae of collecting Jones's bullwhips.

A new episode is now up on the Fall of Civilizations Podcast. Audio only.

13. The Assyrians - Empire of Iron

Edit to add:

Another excellent episode. The first 8minutes weaves another fascinating tale from antiquity as introduction to the titular subject. Its done so well i almost wish Cooper kept on that tale for more. Still, the Assyrians did not disappoint.

Edited by ithanos

On 6/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, ljkeane said:

I really hate the recent changes to the Apple podcast app. It makes listening to any podcasts you don't want to subscribe to and download every episode of a real pain.

Don't use Apple. Plenty of other platforms available.