Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

Don't use Apple. Plenty of other platforms available. 

It’s always been fine up to this point and it’s just there on my phone so it required no effort on my part. It is irritating me enough now though that I might have to make a change.

• 4 months later...

For any fans of Elvis Costello, he's the guest on Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend and it's a wonderful conversation about music and in particular playing the guitar (it's promoting Costello's new audio book How to Play the Guitar and Y)... and ends beautifully when Elvis takes Conan's prized 1946 Martin acoustic guitar and launches into a beautiful rendition of John Sebastian's "Rainbows All Over Your Blues".

Another recent podcast, the latest episode of The Rewatchables from the Ringer, which focuses on rewatchable films. Their new episode is their third on Heat, and they have Michael Mann as a guest giving anecdotes, debunking rumors, and more. Including the statement that a novel that will cover events both prior to the events of the film to several years after the film's ending will be out next year.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this is really a podcast or an audiobook - I've heard it referred to by the cast and creators as both - but I've been listening to Orphan Black: The Next Chapter which has been a lot better than I expected it to be. Its set 8 years after the main series and follows each of the main cast from the original series with some additions (Charlotte and Kierra are more main cast in this) and fresh cast members. All of season 1 is out and has a complete narrative (albeit with a bit of a what happens next ending). I binged the whole thing and couldn't stop from one episode to the next, Great stuff. Tatiana Maslany also returned for the voices which was excellent. Season 2 is ongoing, with more of the cast returning for voicework - Evelyn Brochu, Jordan Gavaris and Kristian Bruun. I think I will probably wait for the full season to be done so I can binge it again though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 10:46 AM, ithanos said:

Come to think of it, there are a few fallen civilizations across India he could do as well. The Vijayanagara Empire, with some magnificent ruins at Hampi in central Southern India, is ripe for a TFoC episode.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, Ran said:

Really suspect he'll tackle something in India as well. As you say, a lot to choose from.

This has just come out this week, 14. Vijayanagara: The Last Emperors of South India (Audio only, 3hrs 13min)

I'm tempted to hold off of listening to this and wait for the video version. I've been fortunate in my travels to have spent a week exploring Hampi (where the old capital ruins are now) and the whole area, at ground level, exudes the surreal.  

On 1/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Don't know if this is really a podcast or an audiobook - I've heard it referred to by the cast and creators as both - but I've been listening to Orphan Black: The Next Chapter which has been a lot better than I expected it to be. Its set 8 years after the main series and follows each of the main cast from the original series with some additions (Charlotte and Kierra are more main cast in this) and fresh cast members. All of season 1 is out and has a complete narrative (albeit with a bit of a what happens next ending). I binged the whole thing and couldn't stop from one episode to the next, Great stuff. Tatiana Maslany also returned for the voices which was excellent. Season 2 is ongoing, with more of the cast returning for voicework - Evelyn Brochu, Jordan Gavaris and Kristian Bruun. I think I will probably wait for the full season to be done so I can binge it again though.

Quoting myself but season 2 is getting extremely frustrating to try and listen to weekly because the episodes don't drop every week, I think it is every other week, but then they also had a hiatus over Christmas, and sometimes the 'episode' drop is a teaser for their bonus episodes. I enjoy the story but i'll check back in once its complete; as I originally planned, reading this last post :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The video version of The Nabataeans was released a couple days ago. These Nabataens were pretty cool, loved this episode. Cooper mentions the frustrating lack of detail about the Nabataeans but he's presented as comprehensive an account as we can get. The details from Hebra were especially interesting. With how water was so valued and conserved and how they dealt with conflicts, one can't help but imagine the Fremin in this setting. Of course it helped that Villeneuve filmed a lot of his Dune in the area.

I'll look at the video. Listened to the podcast on a long trip, and yeah, the lack of detail was a bit frustrating... but the stuff I didn't know much about before -- I didn't really know their history with the Romans very well -- was really cool. I especially liked the detail about the Roman-era Petra having practically no Roman waterworks, showing that the Romans thought Petra's solutions were up to snuff.

Sad, too, about Petra in its final days as he described how the post-earthquake Petra was a ruinous ghost town with just a few people left, its water supply dwindling due to broken pipes and reservoirs. Felt very fantastical.

Edited by Ran

On recommendation from this thread I’ve been working my way through the fall of civilisations. Really great, thanks for that. Quite chilling to see the repeated themes for pretty much every episode. Climate change causes food problems, mixed with external threat, internal corruption and weak leadership… bye bye empire. 

If there are any similar podcasts I would like to hear them. I’ve done all the obvious history ones like Dan Carlin, History Hit or History on Fire. Anything around more ancient history or medieval would be good. 

Edited by Heartofice

I'm not someone who listens to podcasts.  Don't know why I don't, as there used to be a show on weeknights on WGN Radio called Extension 720, where the host touched on different subjects each episode, be it history, politics, literature, science...it was podcasting before podcasting.  Loved that show, as it exposed me to all kinds of things...

That being said, I don't listen to podcasts...but I've discovered there is a Boy Meets World re-watch podcast with Danielle Fishel, Rider Strong, and Will Friedle...so I'm going to try podcasts now... 

:laugh:

On 11/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ran said:

Another recent podcast, the latest episode of The Rewatchables from the Ringer, which focuses on rewatchable films. Their new episode is their third on Heat, and they have Michael Mann as a guest giving anecdotes, debunking rumors, and more. Including the statement that a novel that will cover events both prior to the events of the film to several years after the film's ending will be out next year.

Novel comes out very soon btw.

• 4 months later...

I've recently started listening to podcasts, and really like them.  After reading The Dawn of Everything, by Graeber and Wengrow I wanted more anthropology, and found this outstanding podcast;  Origin Stories from the Leaky Foundation.  This award-winning show combines science and narrative to explore our human story and explain why we are the way we are. Listen and explore human evolution one story at a time.  Hard science, interesting subject matter, example:  How dogs began.

What podcasts do you listen to and like?   Let's talk podcasts!   

What I listen to most:

Last Podcast on the Left - serial killers, cults, conspiracy theories, etc

ALAB (all lawyers are bastards) -panel of nerdy lawyers discuss a variety of legal issues

Rite Gud - Raquel S Benedict discusses writing, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.  Leans towards advice / thoughts for writers.

Hardcore History - have only listened to the nuclear bomb one, Caesar in Gaul, and Cyrus the Great episodes but have enjoyed very much.  

Conan O'Brien needs a friend- lighter fare-- Conan gets some good guests, funny and informative 

Edited by Larry of the Lake

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

What I listen to most:

Last Podcast on the Left - serial killers, cults, conspiracy theories, etc

ALAB (all lawyers are podcasts) -panel of nerdy lawyers discuss a variety of legal issues

Rite Gud - Raquel S Benedict discusses writing, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.  Leans towards advice / thoughts for writers.

Hardcore History - have only listened to the nuclear bomb one, Caesar in Gaul, and Cyrus the Great episodes but have enjoyed very much.  

Conan O'Brien needs a friend- lighter fare-- Conan gets some good guests, funny and informative 

Some of these sound interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Personally, most of the pods I follow are football related. 

The Arsecast: Award winning pod from the amazing, Dublin-based, Arseblogger. One of the most respected 'fan' sites in football. 

Guardian Football Weekly & Totally Football Show: Intelligent, insightful discussion from top quality football journos.

Here's my current list of podcasts: 

Maintenance Phase.....Wellness and weight loss, debunked and decoded.  Science based take downs of wellness grifters and other subjects.   

Jack,... podcast about the Special Counsel and Jack Smith.  Really interesting!

Conspirituality...   Dismantling New Age cults, wellness grifters, and conspiracy-mad yogis.

And today I just discovered, Not Just the Tudors...  Professor Suzannah Lipscomb talks about everything from the Aztecs to witches, Velázquez to Shakespeare, Mughal India to the Mayflower. Not, in other words, just the Tudors, but most definitely also the Tudors.

:)

i listen to allot of podcasts, some of them are:

Behind the Bastards, podcast about horrible bastards throughout history 

Ancient Hstory Fangirl, two friends talk about history, informative and funny

Hardcore History, though i recently found out that its not very accurate

Unspooled, about movies with Paul Scheer amd Amy Nicholson

Conspirituality, their episode on yoga and the dalit anTd how the west views yoga is very good

The Its Always Sunny podcast, very very funny, love the dinamic

Hello from the Magic Tavern, Imporv comedy podcast, soooo good. Bing Bong!

Mission to Zyxx, also improv but sci fi very very funny, very good prduction value

Ologies, scinece podcast, very informative and fun to listen to

Fall of Civilizations, a podcast about the collapse of different societies

The Last Podcast on the Left, as larry said funny podcast abput true crime, aliens, etc.

Revolutions, about revolutions in different societies

Hunting Warhead, a very depressing podcast about the dark web, a huege pedophile ring that operates on said dark web and the people that tries to shut them down.

10 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Conspirituality, their episode on yoga and the dalit anTd how the west views yoga is very good

128: The Trauma of Caste (w/Thenmozhi Soundararajan) this one?  This was truly a great episode, and I learned so much from it.  The podcast goes to some interesting places.