Podcasts and Organizing them

Lily Valley

15 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah there are times where I wished that Harris would be a bit more challenging though, he does admit to often inadvertently creating an echo chamber. But his interview with Douglas Murray needed a more critical voice I think, they obviously both have their views on immigration and islam but I would have appreciated a counter voice in there. 

The Jordan Peterson ones were frustrating as well, because Peterson is a bit of a cult figure, and quite an interesting character, but I felt like they both got hung up on certain topics and and couldn't get on the same level. Harris admitted that about the first one but both were disappointing for me. 

I think he and Murray are pretty much in lockstep regarding Murray's pet issue. And Murray's pet issue is intrinsically related to Harris's pet issue, so there isn't much for them to argue over really. And honestly I think Murray's position is so well thought out and supported by really strong evidence that I think it's practically unassailable. He routinely destroys counter debates with razor efficiency. I think that guy is rather singular as a debater. Lightning quick and razor sharp.  

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Might have to check on more Murray stuff then, although he seems a little bit extreme to me.

I don't think he's anymore extreme than Harris, really. I guess the primary difference is that his focus is on the EU. There's an older Harris podcast  that he was featured in.

And he's a very talented debater. He's been featured in a number of sponsored debates regarding Islam.

I really enjoy Majid Nawaz's point of view and debate style as well. He was on the opposite side of that debate I just posted, and their exchanges are very illuminating.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I've actually just started to

Ah. I'm really impressed with you these days. Anyway, Murray is certainly extreme if you identify with the liberal mainstream. I heard some of his interview with Harris a while ago and found it quite interesting. Fundamentally Harris and Murray have very different positions though. Murray thinks religion is an essential part of the human experience and believes Europe is in danger because of the decline of Christianity. Harris, presumably, thinks we are better off without all religion.   

11 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Ah. I'm really impressed with you these days. Anyway, Murray is certainly extreme if you identify with the liberal mainstream. I heard some of his interview with Harris a while ago and found it quite interesting. Fundamentally Harris and Murray have very different positions though. Murray thinks religion is an essential part of the human experience and believes Europe is in danger because of the decline of Christianity. Harris, presumably, thinks we are better off without all religion.   

Yeah Murray has an attachment to Christianity that I don't quite identify with. 

I am undecided on him though. Partly I agree with his points on immigration, especially the shutting down of dialogue about the issue. But then I take issue with his points about a 'white british' minority , which does feel a bit like its veering into racism. 

I also think that integration happens a lot more than he assumes. Having grown up in a very ethnic part of london I can say that many of my friends were 2nd generation Indians and Asians, and all were culturally as British as I was. I canno claim that is the same everywhere but I doubt some of what he's saying.

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah Murray has an attachment to Christianity that I don't quite identify with. 

I am undecided on him though. Partly I agree with his points on immigration, especially the shutting down of dialogue about the issue. But then I take issue with his points about a 'white british' minority , which does feel a bit like its veering into racism. 

I also think that integration happens a lot more than he assumes. Having grown up in a very ethnic part of london I can say that many of my friends were 2nd generation Indians and Asians, and all were culturally as British as I was. I canno claim that is the same everywhere but I doubt some of what he's saying.

He was an Anglican but became an atheist, after too much time perusing the Koran apparently. He was also a very strident neo-con, and wrote a book called neo-conservatism why we need it when he was about 25. Good thing he's grown out of that! I think his current work is excellent, but it will be interesting to see what you make of the book. 

12 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I hate the iTunes podcast feature with a fury that frightens me when I reflect upon it.

I admit I'm not the most tech-savvy, but it's so un-user-friendly to me.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the settings to stay consistent on showing me what I want and not downloading every past episode of things and whatnot.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't have a smart phone, so I can't really relate, but seeing as how I don't use one to listen to podcasts, I am aware of some workarounds. I'm not sure that they would be any less annoying than iTunes though.

I find that many if not most podcast creators/hosts tend to have their own websites wherein you can download their content onto your PC or laptop. This content is often free. So what I do is download it onto Windows Player and listen to them there. I believe it's a fairly easy process to then download from Windows Player onto a smartphone, although I have to say I'm less clear on how that works.  

50 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think his primary point with that bit is that he believes that countries like Britain, France, Germany, Sweden and Denmark should be prouder in terms of considering their culture and system of government as a net positive. That they are far past the point of having to apologize for Imperialism and the like, and that they are mistaken in the assumption that these societies should have to bend towards a fundamental change to those systems in order to accommodate newly arrived members to these societies. That it should in fact be the other way around.The manner and detail in which he explores this thought really puts it pretty far from racism or nationalism. It's a pretty practical and compelling argument, methinks.

15 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think his primary point with that bit is that he believes that countries like Britain, France, Germany, Sweden and Denmark should be prouder in terms of considering their culture and system of government as a net positive. That they are far past the point of having to apologize for Imperialism and the like, and that they are mistaken in the assumption that these societies should have to bend towards a fundamental change to those systems in order to accommodate newly arrived members to these societies. That it should in fact be the other way around.The manner and detail in which he explores this thought really puts it pretty far from racism or nationalism. It's a pretty practical and compelling argument, methinks.

Well I certainly agree that most western countries feel a level of shame at promoting their own cultures, certainly Britain views patriotism as basically akin to racism.The suggestion that anyone arriving in a country should attempt to fit in with the native culture is seen as a racist concept in itself. I'm undecided on the issue, London is a melting pot of cultures which mix together and create something new and exciting quite often.. but that is usually only when different cultures are allowed to mix. If you have areas and groups that do not mix then you have real problems. 

Maybe it is against that background that I feel uncomfortable with the way in which he says things, it is a very fine line.

Norm Macdonald Live is back. Not technically a podcast although it does bill itself as a video podcast. First up as a guest for the new season is David Letterman. 

I love this show, but I'm a bit hesistant to recommend it as Norm seems to be an acquired taste. He and Letterman are obviously close, and the conversation is pretty damn interesting and open. Some of my favorite episodes from the past are the Bill Hader and Gilbert Gottfried interviews. Other notable shows featured Nick Swardson, Kevin Nealon, Bob Saget and David Spade.

Really off beat sense of humor, and strangely sincere. If you are a fan of his stand-up, or if you enjoyed his fairly recent novel (Based on a True Story) you will enjoy this show.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been into another video podcast lately, Kevin Pollack Chat Show. He gets some really good guests. Just watched the Bill Hader episode, which was hilarious...

That one led me to Phil Hendrie who is this absolutely amazing radio talent...

Pollack's supporting cast is pretty annoying, but this is typically offset by some really fantastic guests.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

HUZZAH! Thanks for the heads up!

/Damn, and it's 6 hours.

I just checked at lunchtime and there wasn't. Could have been listening to it on my jog!

ooh Celtic Holocaust. That should be interesting. I think i prefer his "ancient" stuff in terms of initial interest (although he ususally wins me over with whatever period he picks).

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I just checked at lunchtime and there wasn't. Could have been listening to it on my jog!

ooh Celtic Holocaust. That should be interesting. I think i prefer his "ancient" stuff in terms of initial interest (although he ususally wins me over with whatever period he picks).

I'm a bit of the opposite in that I usually prefer the later stuff, but the guy is such a consummate storyteller that he sucks me in regardless of the topic. Can't wait to get home tonight and start it.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm a bit of the opposite in that I usually prefer the later stuff, but the guy is such a consummate storyteller that he sucks me in regardless of the topic. Can't wait to get home tonight and start it.

Yeah as I was writing it I realised that his World War one and two material are still some of my favourites.

I'm about an hour in and he still has it.

I'm curious as to whether this was the one he gave an update on in a recent "common sense" where it almost sounded like he was going to bin the whole project? I can't help but think of him as the GRRM of podcasts with his appeal, his increasing delays/volume and now his perfectionism where he potentially bins months of work because it doesn't "work".

It's just a shame he can't break installments into episodes these days. 6 hours is a lot of material and he could have easily released 1 hour every month and people wouldn't notice the gaps as much. I guess he records these in one epic session though and feels it should go out that way. His choice, I guess we are getting a netflix version of podcasting from him. But he could have released this over the next few months and create the illusion of folk being updated regularly and him working on the next epic. For me it doesn't matter - I regularly check his site anyhow (should just subscribe) but these gaps could be bad for more casual listeners in that they forget about him.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

Yeah as I was writing it I realised that his World War one and two material are still some of my favourites.

I'm about an hour in and he still has it.

I'm curious as to whether this was the one he gave an update on in a recent "common sense" where it almost sounded like he was going to bin the whole project? I can't help but think of him as the GRRM of podcasts with his appeal, his increasing delays/volume and now his perfectionism where he potentially bins months of work because it doesn't "work".

It's just a shame he can't break installments into episodes these days. 6 hours is a lot of material and he could have easily released 1 hour every month and people wouldn't notice the gaps as much. I guess he records these in one epic session though and feels it should go out that way. His choice, I guess we are getting a netflix version of podcasting from him. But he could have released this over the next few months and create the illusion of folk being updated regularly and him working on the next epic. For me it doesn't matter - I regularly check his site anyhow (should just subscribe) but these gaps could be bad for more casual listeners in that they forget about him.

Yeah, I think that's just the way he works now. He's said in numerous interviews lately that he prefers what he calls the "blitz" episodes, which are typically like 4 hours or so, and he just knocks out the topic in one sitting.

He's also talked about numerous episodes that he's had "in the can" where he just isn't happy with it so he tosses it and starts over. Kind of like the South Park guys, I guess. He's a bit of an obsessive perfectionist, methinks. 

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think that's just the way he works now. He's said in numerous interviews lately that he prefers what he calls the "blitz" episodes, which are typically like 4 hours or so, and he just knocks out the topic in one sitting.

He's also talked about numerous episodes that he's had "in the can" where he just isn't happy with it so he tosses it and starts over. Kind of like the South Park guys, I guess. He's a bit of an obsessive perfectionist, methinks. 

makes me wonder how much stuff we've missed out on. I think in some cases it mutates into a different show eg I think he said his "death throes of the republic" was initially meant to be a short episode on Cleopatra but he found himself getting stuck down a spiral of explaining the background.

Maybe at some point he'll do something with the almost finished podcasts he abandoned as I get the feeling they'd be ok. Although i respect him for having a high personal level of quality control - it's probably why he has such a good track record.