Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lily Valley

Podcasts and Organizing them

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I am so weak that I only want to use my ancient but still perfect iPod because I don't want to use data on my phone for podcasts.  So these apps maybe don't help me much because they're so phone-based. 

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. I was focused more on the Windows/PC side of things. I get the issue with the phone though, podcasts filled my phone up until I bought one with a ton of storage. I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back to google podcasts as an app for my android phone as it's the best thing out there at the moment ( if you want a free app).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished The Bright Sessions which was excellent. The first and second seasons were the best but I enjoyed it to the end. There is a sequel called the AM Archives. The sample episodes were really good but it's an exclusive to the Luminance podcast app and it seems a bit steep to subscribe for a single podcast.

I've since moved on to Wolf 359. Again, late to the party (started 2015) but another one I'm really enjoying. It has everything - drama, humour, mystery, classical music, crazy russian scientists, sassy AI, mutant plant monsters, conspiracies. I'm burning through the episodes quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use castbox which is free, seems to have everything and doesn't require you to sign up.

Dana Gould hour is probably my favourite.

Recently discovered Hunting Warhead. 6 episodes. Dark and disturbing but good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 8:50 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I finished The Bright Sessions which was excellent. The first and second seasons were the best but I enjoyed it to the end. There is a sequel called the AM Archives. The sample episodes were really good but it's an exclusive to the Luminance podcast app and it seems a bit steep to subscribe for a single podcast.

I've since moved on to Wolf 359. Again, late to the party (started 2015) but another one I'm really enjoying. It has everything - drama, humour, mystery, classical music, crazy russian scientists, sassy AI, mutant plant monsters, conspiracies. I'm burning through the episodes quickly. 

Finished Wolf 359, godamnit such a brilliant podcast and I loved the ending. It had a few episodes that didnt quite do it for me and some larger plot choices were a bit underwhelming but overall I thought it was excellent. There was such a brilliant blend of drama, humour, tension, hope, friendship and mystery. 

Some great “standalone” episodes too, which don’t really advance the plot per se but are just fantastic in their own right. I especially liked the Funzo episode and Minkovski’s... hmm, “hunting” episode lets call it.

Now, what to move on to next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 1:54 AM, Conflicting Thought said:

I use Podcast Addict, works pretty good, you can download the episodes so you dont need to have an internet conection, and they have a very complete selection of podcasts. 

I also use Podcast Addict. I have an Android. I download EVERYTHING to it and then I don't need an internet connection to play them.

Until about a month ago I only listened to one podcast - Bone & Sickle, which is a folk horror show that began out of the creator's research into Krampus history. The show quickly expanded to explore other fantasy elements, including sort of niche folk things (e.g. bleeding saints, talking severed heads or being buried alive) as well as infamous figures (Dracula, werewolves).

However, my covid commute to work (to avoid using buses and the tube) is now '20 minute walk + 30 minute train + 20 minute walk' each way. I still read on the train (an hour each day) but I now have one hour 20 minutes of walking a day. So I FINALLY made the switch to strolling (this is a big thing for me) and listening to podcasts. I did some research and downloaded a whole bunch of horror podcasts.

I completed Limetown, which someone described as being a little like the TV show, Lost - because it's a dangerous mystery to be solved. I think if you liked Lost, you'd like it.

I am listening to Unwell (still going), which describes itself as a mid-western gothic horror. It's definitely intriguing and does cool things with sound.

Currently listening to Mabel. Slightly mixed feelings on this one. I initally loved it. It's a haunted house mystery, involving fairies and mythology. But it felt like it got a little draggy and self-indulgent in the second season. The third season has moved on a bit so I am sticking with it for now.

This past weekend I went on a two hour stroll to listen to the 1981 BBC Radio 4 LOTR adaptation in honour of Ian Holm - the best Frodo. I will probably finish this off with subsequent long walks over the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Isis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it seems I now consume podcasts and audio drama the way I once consumed TV, film and books. I recently listened to Alice isn't dead. Binged the whole thing in the last 5 days. Some seriously creepy and trippy stuff but overall excellent. Based on the earlier posts in this thread I'll give Night Vale a try at some point. Has anyone read the Alice book? Wondering if it's worth reading/adds much of you've listened to the podcast already.

Moved on to something lighter for the time being with The Providing Human Circus. It's been good fun so far, listened to three episodes today while out walking. So easy to lose track of time listening to podcasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So it seems I now consume podcasts and audio drama the way I once consumed TV, film and books. I recently listened to Alice isn't dead. Binged the whole thing in the last 5 days. Some seriously creepy and trippy stuff but overall excellent. Based on the earlier posts in this thread I'll give Night Vale a try at some point. Has anyone read the Alice book? Wondering if it's worth reading/adds much of you've listened to the podcast already.

I think I am going to move on to Alice isn't dead next.

Re. storage space for podcasts, yes, I have a lot of storage on my phone (separate memory card) but I also go through my podcast app routinely and delete all the episodes I have already listened to. That stops the storage thing from getting out of control. 

Edited by Isis
removal of haunted asterisk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried podcast addict but I just didn't enjoy the interface at all ( it seemed like too much clutter) Back to google podcasts for now. It's fascinating to see y'all listen to podcasts with narratives/ stories. I haven't really ventured there yet but it sounds like I should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly listen to my podcasts through Stitcher. I say mostly, because since Last Podcast on the Left went exclusively to Spotify, I now have to listen to that (and their sister podcast about music, No Dogs In Space) on the Spotify app. I still like Stitcher better, because I'm more familiar with it, but I think the more I use Spotify and become more familiar with it - I may move over to it for everything. Maybe.

A few podcasts I support have Patreon-exclusive podcasts (for Patrons, of course) and I listen to them through the Patreon app.  It kinda sucks as a podcast app, but it is what it is. I suppose I could download the podcasts and play them another way, but that's just too much effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I mostly listen to my podcasts through Stitcher. I say mostly, because since Last Podcast on the Left went exclusively to Spotify, I now have to listen to that (and their sister podcast about music, No Dogs In Space) on the Spotify app. I still like Stitcher better, because I'm more familiar with it, but I think the more I use Spotify and become more familiar with it - I may move over to it for everything. Maybe.

A few podcasts I support have Patreon-exclusive podcasts (for Patrons, of course) and I listen to them through the Patreon app.  It kinda sucks as a podcast app, but it is what it is. I suppose I could download the podcasts and play them another way, but that's just too much effort.

yeah i had to "move" to spotify for the LPOTL content, but i hope this doesnt become the norm with other podcasts. i dont really trust spotify, although i do like that i dont have to download the episode to listen to it, i have so much space on my phone occupied with podcasts that im gratefull that i have one less podcast to download xd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 11:08 PM, Triskele said:

I think that I may be so tech-illiterate in this space that I'm not able to even ask questions the right way.

When I use my PC to try to find new podcast app type things as an iTunes substitute (but still with the goal being to transfer to an iPod as opposed to a smart phone) it seems like everything is designed to be downloaded to a phone rather than just to a desktop.  I can haz podcast? is how I feel.

ETA:  I have to say though that iTunes do still seem to mostly work out OK for me.  what happened to all that buzz that it was being retired?  

iTunes has been split up on iOS a couple of years ago and meanwhile on the Mac, too. There's a music, a podcast and a tv app now. On Windows and older MacOS versions iTunes is still available, but I wouldn't expect it to see much development work any more.

The trend towards proprietary platforms is regrettable. It fundamentally changes the character of podcasting. A podcast is supposed to be an RSS feed. No central hosting,  no DRM, etc. That's not at all what Spotify etc. offer. I still stick to the free stuff, with the exception of Audible (which I have for the audiobooks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. I use Spotify for all my music needs but I have never listened to a single podcast on there. It just didn't occur to me.

So, I got a bit tired of the sameyness of Mabel and switched over to Alice Isn't Dead. First thought: bit disappointing to download a 22 minute long episode and discover the content ends after 16 minutes. If my walk is 20 minutes long then I expect 22 minutes to be sufficient length for that journey. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know whether to refer to it as a scripted narrative podcast, or just old fashioned storytelling, but a relatively new podcast that is just absolutely excellent is Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a horror podcast about the old gods, haints, witches and other spooky stuff that inhabit the central Appalachians. 

I just can't say enough good things about it. I don't even like horror, really. But the narrator/writer/storyteller is nothing short of amazing. I'm probably a little bit biased, since that's where I'm from, but the stories are just top notch all the way around. The characters feel real and everything about the podcast from a technical aspect is really great - especially considering it's only been around for a few months and it's a pretty DIY operation.

Those of you that like things in the vein of Limetown, Alice Isn't Dead, Welcome To Nightvale, etc., should really check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isis said:

Hmm. I use Spotify for all my music needs but I have never listened to a single podcast on there. It just didn't occur to me.

So, I got a bit tired of the sameyness of Mabel and switched over to Alice Isn't Dead. First thought: bit disappointing to download a 22 minute long episode and discover the content ends after 16 minutes. If my walk is 20 minutes long then I expect 22 minutes to be sufficient length for that journey. Sad.

Hmm, yes that's something that bugged me too. Fortunately I don't download, I stream, so it's easy enough to skip the excessively long closing music. I also have to say I didn't especially enjoy the music on Alice either so I always did skip the ending. Definitely irritating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished The Orbiting Human Circus which was really good, whimsical but so very moving. I was engrossed in Julian's story and satisfied by the end of the season. Excited for a follow up but it while probably be a long wait as the final episode was only last month.

The listing of episodes on Spotify confused me a bit at first so to help others, there are several episodes titled "Of the Air: ..." Which are framed as broadcasts of the Orbiting Human Circus. These are followed by the "Naughty till New year's..." Episodes which I guess you would call the main narrative, following Julian the janitor. I recommend listening when you can focus properly as I listened to some of it while partially distracted and had to go back and relisten to understand. This is due to the way the story is told as it sort of cuts between two stories throughout the episode.

Also, in contrast to Alice isn't Dead I loved the music on this.

 

ETA: to avoid double posting, I have moved onto and now finished Passenger List, co-produced by the excellent Lauren Shippen (The Bright Tapes) and starring Kelly Marie Tran (Rose in SW) and a host of other appearances including the wonderful Patti LuPone. It's a conspiracy/mystery investigation into a flight from Heathrow to JFK that goes down due to "bird strike." Kaitlin Le is the sister of one of the passengers and doesn't buy the official version of events, launching her own investigation. Each episode sees her investigation of a new passenger and/or trail of enquiry. Really gripping stuff and there is some frightfully topical stuff as some episodes focus on viruses and biological contamination and the spread of disease and pandemics. And this concluded back in December!

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 3:20 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Hmm, yes that's something that bugged me too. Fortunately I don't download, I stream, so it's easy enough to skip the excessively long closing music. I also have to say I didn't especially enjoy the music on Alice either so I always did skip the ending. Definitely irritating.

I've kind of accepted it now and accounted for it. I shall struggle on. :)

I think that if you enjoyed Alice isn't Dead then you might also like Limetown. It's very engrossing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2020 at 8:27 AM, Isis said:

I think that if you enjoyed Alice isn't Dead then you might also like Limetown. It's very engrossing. 

The first season, anyway. The less spoken about the second season, the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...