Sign in to follow this  
Lily Valley

Podcasts and Organizing them

On 7/5/2020 at 8:27 AM, Isis said:

I think that if you enjoyed Alice isn't Dead then you might also like Limetown. It's very engrossing. 

The first season, anyway. The less spoken about the second season, the better. 

Posted (edited)

Anyone ever listen to ALAB?  Stands for All Lawyers Are Bastards.  It's three lawyers who pick a legal issue and then give you a run down on it.  Their most recent one features some content that might have an appeal to those of you who read the Vivian St Black threads in Lit, or the E-book and book piracy stuff, or anyone who likes learning about intellectual property enforcement and authors behaving badly.  Or just some good old cryptozooerotica meets otherkin style sex stuff.  

It's about these two authors who write under the Omegaverse genre, which apparently is people who have wolf characteristics (even though not remotely scientifically accurate) and fuck all the time.  Kind of like twilight, apparently a bunch of people write this stuff, and this one author made a shit to of money out of it, and as soon as someone else started selling titles got their online distributor to go after her for copyright infringement.  It was fascinating.  A bizarre look into the legal methods available to edge out competition and worse.

This was the first entire episode I'd listened to, and I'd give it a 9/10.

I've followed two of these guys on twitter for awhile and for about two years suspected that one of them was secretly @sologdin

Edited by larrytheimp

Seems and interesting cast to check out. Need to get my eyes checked, read All Lawyers Are Bastards as... All Bastards Are Lawyers.

----------

I was looking through the JRE podcast back catalog and came across the Alex Jones episode from 2019. Wow, never thought that almost 5 hours of conspiracy theories could be so entertaining. Not sure what date Rogan is migrating the full podcast episodes from YouTube over to Spotify (which I stopped using a couple years back), but if I'm not mistaken, the JRE Clips will still be put out on YouTube.

Also been catching up with the latest Peter Attia MD podcasts exploring the latest in how to achieve meaningful longevity. It gets quite deep in the weeds at times but Attia often comes up with useful analogies to make things understandable, and there's some fascinating content.  

Also listened to the Yan-gant-y-tan episode on CelticMythsPodcast - good stuff. Thoughts did drift to ice cream when that ice-cream van drove by (at 5pm on a weekday, :)) Earlier I had started an episode which brought up the Cornish Pasty and I had to stop and venture out to find me a Cornish Pasty. The memory of enjoying Cornish Pasties in my childhood sure raised expectations. The mass produced supermarket Cornish Pastie I ended up getting was a poor replication for what memory serves. Apparently pasties made in Australia are allowed to be called "Cornish Pasties". I then lost where I was in the episode so decided to reset it to the start and listen to it another time. Now I'm curious if the supermarket Cornish Pastie would taste better with ice cream.

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, MisterOJ said:

I don't know whether to refer to it as a scripted narrative podcast, or just old fashioned storytelling, but a relatively new podcast that is just absolutely excellent is Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a horror podcast about the old gods, haints, witches and other spooky stuff that inhabit the central Appalachians. 

I just can't say enough good things about it. I don't even like horror, really. But the narrator/writer/storyteller is nothing short of amazing. I'm probably a little bit biased, since that's where I'm from, but the stories are just top notch all the way around. The characters feel real and everything about the podcast from a technical aspect is really great - especially considering it's only been around for a few months and it's a pretty DIY operation.

Those of you that like things in the vein of Limetown, Alice Isn't Dead, Welcome To Nightvale, etc., should really check it out.

I came across the first episode of Old Gods of Appalachia as it showed as sample on the episode list for another horror podcast I was listening to (The White Vault) and I listened to it this past weekend. I liked the concept. Had to laugh at the implication that they really are the oldest mountains - reminscent of baseball's world series not actually being about the world but just about America. Really bad so-called Irish accents but quite liked the hillbilly music. The first ep was ok. I might try some more. But more than anything I was inspired to watch that youtube video again where a woman spends ten minutes talking about the difference in pronunciation of Appalachia. 

I have gone through a lot of horror podcasts in the past few months with my longer covid commute. So I am ready for some more suggestions if anyone has any. I am more after serial type things rather than short stories. I will list the ones I have already listened to below.

-The White Vault - recommended if you like 'snow and ice horror'

-Limetown - this reminded me of Lost, in a mystery solving way 

-Alice Isn't Dead - good but I felt like it petered out a little towards the end

-Blackwood - good, but short (I'm thinking there must be another series pending?)

-Mabel - really liked the fairy tale/folky aspects of this at first, but it felt like it became a bit self-indulgent as it went on and became less enjoyable.

-Unwell - this is still ongoing, described as a midwestern gothic horror, it feels different to traditional horror/solve-a-mystery podcasts

-The Black Tapes - started this yesterday and I am really enjoying it.

Anything along these lines that you have liked which I could try out?

Edited by Isis
Added another one

I mentioned this one in the Watching thread, but for cinephiles out there, can't recommend enough Edith Bowman's Soundtracking podcast, focused on film soundtracks and talking with the directors and composers behind them. Each episode is a mixture of selected music from the works of the director/composer and insightful interviews. She has an absolutely stellar list of directors interviewed. Just a handful: Luca Guadagnino, Quention Tarantino, Steven Soderbergh, Richard Linklater, Denis Villenueve, Christopher Guest, Nicholas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Danny Boyle, Edgar Wright, Sofia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, Martin McDonaugh, Rian Johnson ... and, well, scores more (the podcast is up to episode 215). And of course some great composers and musicians, such as Cliff Martinez, Clint Mansell. and Ludwig Göransson, among others.

You can find it in most podcast aggregators, but on Spotify there are also associated playlists that have the tracks featured in each episode. Bowman's a good interviewer and the guests really respond well, providing a lot of insights and fun anecdotes (for example, learned that Refn originally envisioned the Pet Shop Boys scoring Bronson, and even met with them to that end only have to Neil Tennant tell him [quite kindly], "You can't afford us, baby" but allowed him to use "It's a Sin" for free.)