Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

No fight here from Pakistan. The long tail is not going to help, either. They're going to have to play a heck of a second innings - at this rate scoring 400 in the second innings isn't going to be enough.

It's just as well they won the First Test...at least the Third will still be alive.

22 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

England never do now but I can't see why they aren't enforcing the follow on here. It's not like the bowlers have even put that much work in.

Bonkers decision IMO. Trying to keep Pakistan in the match.

Enforce the follow-on and put boot to throat.

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

England's seamers look a lot better as a unit with Anderson and Stokes back in. I do think Ali as a front line spinner is looking less viable though.

Obviously they can't have known in advance how things were going to unfold but in this match situation Rashid would have been a much more useful pick, it wouldn't matter too much if he bowled a few bad balls because the leg spin would be more of a threat, although the seamers would always be the main weapon.

I agree it is baffling why the follow-on wasn't enforced. I know Cook's tactics do tend to be very defensive, but this seems excessive.

Very odd decision to bat. Apparently it was not even to rest Anderson and Stokes, but that maybe covering up for picking two unfit players or for the rain delays nullifying the argument in hindsight. Now when to declare becomes the main issue. England are already 70 or so ahead of the record fourth innings run chase, but I feel Cook will want a few more in the morning to be certain Pakistan won't reach it.

It does seem odd not to enforce the follow-on, especially with the possible threat of rain. I know it's not really in vogue to enforce follow-ons these days, but if you're not going to do it in this situation (fragile batting, bowlers not taxed, possible rain delays), when would you?

Anyway, it's probably moot since I expect Cook to declare an hour before lunch, and either way he would probably win the match without too much trouble.

I hope rain doesn't ruin it, but we're set for a good fifth day of the Australia and Sri Lanka First Test.

Australia need another 185 runs, Sri Lanka need 7 wickets.

On a fifth day with a massively turning pitch, you have to think 185 runs will be a tough ask. But Australia bat deep (O'Keefe at 8, if he's not too injured to bat, has a first class batting average of 30, and Starc at 9 has scored 6 Test fifties in only 25 matches). More importantly Steve Smith is still at the crease and his career Test average is still over 60! He's our best player of spin too. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

8 hours ago, Jeor said:

I hope rain doesn't ruin it, but we're set for a good fifth day of the Australia and Sri Lanka First Test.

Australia need another 185 runs, Sri Lanka need 7 wickets

There are some advocates for the idea that we should have four day Tests, but I think this type of match shows why it would be a bad idea, rather than a dull draw there is an impressive victory for Sri Lanka.

All credit to the Sri Lankans...it would have been heartbreak if they didn't get the win, but for O'Keefe and Neville to keep it together for 30 overs must have been getting them nervous. The Aussie team will be devastated. It's the sort of game where both sides were in sight of the finish line (or at least draw for Australia), great match all round.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

new world record for balls faced without a run.  i don't particularly like cricket but i love the idea you can just stand there and frustrate for hours. shame they never quite made it. 

This is one of the reasons I absolutely love cricket -- that boring the competition into a mistake is a legit strategy. 

31 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

This is one of the reasons I absolutely love cricket -- that boring the competition into a mistake is a legit strategy. 

I also like the oddity of the result often depending on the performance of people doing something they don't actually claim to be good at, such as tail-end batsmen who usually only make cameos desperately trying to hold out for a draw.

The tense finish flattered Australia really - they would have been steamrolled early on Day 5 (or maybe even earlier in the match) but for the rain/bad light. 

I'll be interested to see if the Aussies can bounce back, they certainly couldn't manage it on their most recent tours of India and the UAE (both ended in whitewashes). Sri Lanka's batting does look a little shaky to me, so that might offer the tourists some hope. Mathews and Chandimal need to take responsibility and move up the order.

While the bowlers won the match (particularly Herath), that freakish innings from Mendis was what got them there in the first place.

Without that, the batting did look pretty suspect. They were always going to struggle when Jayawardene and Sangakarra retired.

But on home soil and with two spinners firing, they'll be tough to beat.

Yeah I think Australia's best chance will be to roll Sri Lanka and then hope beyond hope that the likes of Smith or Voges can post a big score. I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I don't see many other Australian batsmen having success here. The urgent and sometimes arrogant style with which Warner, Burns and Khawaja approached their respective innings does not bode well.

Archived