Cricket 30: World Twenty20 and beyond

ljkeane

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

@Dejection's username pretty much sums up that Pakistan performance. Unfortunately it's been a while since that rivalry lived up to the hype.

So four matches into this tournament and it has yet to produce a decent contest. The Australia v New Zealand game had potential but it was ruined by rain. Sri Lanka and Pakistan were completely blown away.

Crossing my fingers for the Bangladesh game today!

It's like I said; Pakistan's descent from a decent team in 2015 to a club standard side since then is an insult to any of us who care about the country's cricket legacy; to constantly do stuff like dropping multiple catches or collapsing within a few runs is very insulting. I want most of the current team axed; they're worse than Bangladesh.

Haha well Bangladesh is still alive in this tournament (just!) This time the rain did not favour Australia.

How good is Tamim Iqbal? In 2015 and 2016 he averaged over 50 in test matches and over 40 in ODIs. This year his test form has dipped but he is averaging 79 in ODIs, including two tons and the 95 in yesterday's match. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with Khan's retirement he is now the best batsman in any of the Asian teams, barring India.  

Looks like we might be in danger of getting a result here.

Some good bowling from England's seamers so far. On the batting front I feel a little sorry for Roy given his role in the side is always going to be high risk but it might be getting to the stage were it might be worth trying a change.

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Looks like we might be in danger of getting a result here.

Some good bowling from England's seamers so far. On the batting front I feel a little sorry for Roy given his role in the side is always going to be high risk but it might be getting to the stage were it might be worth trying a change.

I think Roy's ability and overall record are good enough that England should persevere. I remember a few years ago David Warner was completely out of form in ODIs but Australia stuck by him. Since then he has made 11 hundreds and has soared up the rankings.

Another rain-affected match saw Pakistan pull off an unlikely win against SA, mainly on the back of an excellent bowling performance (and great crowd support!) I enjoyed watching Fakhar bat. His technique has some obvious deficiencies but his offside play was awesome and reminded me a lot of one of my childhood faves: Saeed Anwar.

13 hours ago, Hereward said:

I don't think we can afford to persevere during an actual, somewhat meaningful tournament, especially with the red hot in form Bairstow sitting on the bench.

Fair enough, though I've not known Bairstow to be an opener (or even a top-order batsman) at this level. Would they tinker with the order and perhaps try opening with Ali again? It wouldn't seem to be the right move to promote Root, given his success at first drop.

I didn't see any of it because I was watching the rugby but an excellent win for Sri Lanka today. With South Africa losing and not looking great yesterday that's made group B look pretty interesting all of a sudden.

Yeah that Sri Lanka win came out of nowhere and has breathed some life into the tournament. Amazing batting performance from what is still quite an inexperienced top order.

Good bowling from Bangladesh to restrict the Kiwis to 265. This should be a chasable target, but Bangladesh went for an additional bowler and are still prone to collapse. So it should be an interesting innings!

I'll be pretty torn during the Aus v Eng match if Bangladesh manage to win tonight :unsure:

FUCK YES!!!!!! :grouphug::cheers:

Great knock from Shakib and Mahmudullah. In recent years they have shown some resilience but rarely do they show enough of it to close out the game. But they are showing they are capable and hopefully there will be more of these in the future!

How am i suppose to sleep now?! so much adrenaline!

Archived