Werthead

Atlas of Ice and Fire

Posted (edited)

An Economic Map of the Seven Kingdoms

Even after the Conquest. People in Scotland barely sound like people in England, after all these centuries. Heck people in one English county hardly sound like people in the next English county, and the entire England could fit into the Karhold lands.

That's not really true. There's accent and dialect differences, but people in Orkney can easily understand those from Scilly and all points inbetween and people from Connemara (well, almost) can understand those from Norfolk. In addition, it's not really distance that's the issue: people in the United States can understand one another across much vaster distances with no major accent variation (although certainly some minor ones, like Baltimore versus Everywhere That Isn't Baltimore). Population density and what people regard as "long distances" (which varies massively from place to place) factor into that.

I mean, the language thing is sticking a band-aid over the side of the Titanic really, but it's the best we can do.

Edited by Werthead

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

An Economic Map of the Seven Kingdoms

That's not really true. There's accent and dialect differences, but people in Orkney can easily understand those from Scilly and all points inbetween and people from Connemara (well, almost) can understand those from Norfolk. In addition, it's not really distance that's the issue: people in the United States can understand one another across much vaster distances with no major accent variation (although certainly some minor ones, like Baltimore versus Everywhere That Isn't Baltimore). Population density and what people regard as "long distances" (which varies massively from place to place) factor into that.

I mean, the language thing is sticking a band-aid over the side of the Titanic really, but it's the best we can do.

Loved the article on the economy of Westeros.

Posted (edited)

@Werthead I was wondering if you have made, or know of, a decent (accurate!) map of the layout at Castle Black? I did check your site first and did not find one. My pardons if I missed it.

p.s.

I found a bunch online that fans have made in the Minecraft game :dunno::lol:

Edited by The Fattest Leech

20 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

@Werthead I was wondering if you have made, or know of, a decent (accurate!) map of the layout at Castle Black? I did check your site first and did not find one. My pardons if I missed it.

p.s.

I found a bunch online that fans have made in the Minecraft game :dunno::lol:

Nope.

Caste and city maps were on the agenda, but I haven't found a way yet of doing them that's to my liking.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Nope.

Caste and city maps were on the agenda, but I haven't found a way yet of doing them that's to my liking.

Rats. 

Thank you. 

The big linguistic divide in Westeros should be the North vs South. I can buy that languages across the South would be much more homogenized than they were in real-life Europe, because of heavy cultural similarities and the one-two punch of the Maesters and Faith acting to keep a common language present in the courts of the lords plus the cities and towns (although there should be some interesting peasant variations in dialect). That's happened in real life as well - Latin and Greek were widely spoken in the western and eastern halves of the Roman Empire respectively. 

But that's much weaker in the case of the North. There are maesters, but only one per significant lord, and the North is significantly more spread out and thinly populated than the South. The Faith is barely present aside from White Harbor, and there was no invasion of Andal people with their particular tongue because the North stopped it. Even if the maesters teach the lords and their households the "proper" common tongue, the broader dialect of people in the North should be really distinct and different from that of folks in the South. 

The same might be true for the Ironborn, who seem kind of suspicious of maesters and rarely tolerated the Faith. But in that case I figure that they took enough salt wives and thralls for it to keep their language similar to that of the mainland (plus the Andals did invade and conquer the islands, even if they then went native).