Shiera Seastar's whereabouts

Valens

Ok, this is my first thread here. I was always wondering what became of Shiera Seastar. Does anyone know if Martin writes exactly when she left King's Landing? I assume that might be when Bloodraven was imprisoned. And also, I know some have alledged that she is Quaithe, how old does that make her like "now" where the series and the last book are in time? I think she's a very interesting character, yet not developed enough. I hope Martin will unveil the secret wether she is Quaithe by the time the series (book series) ends. Quaithe does speak Westerosi perfectly in the series, when she talks to Jorah for instance, but isn't she shown to have dark eyes? Shiera had one blue and one green eye and was fair skinned. Quaithe doesn't look so fair skinned.

I've seen a theory suggesting that Shiera is none other than Old Nan. I know that everybody and their mother is tired of "secret Targ" theories about, well, everyone and their mother, but I like it.

Welcome everyone!  Very good questions.  I think she's Old Nan.  I think she went to WF when BR went to the Wall and he promised he'd be back for her and that's the reason for her "All Crow's are liars" comment.  I have seen the Quaithe theories but I don't like that one as much.  I like the idea that Targ Great Bastards have been watching the Starks for many years.  If she is Quaithe she could be glamoured so her skin color and eye color wouldn't not matter.  I suspect we'll get more info when the next D&E comes out.

Quaithe is Shiera Seastar...

Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask.

Quaithe's eyes are described as wet, like the sea, and shiny, like the stars. 

She died of old age.  But we will learn more about her, either in the main books or in upcoming D&E installments.  And that could be a long wait.  I think GRRM has stated that we wont get any more D&E stories until the main series is published.

39 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

When warning Bran that he cannot change the past, BR says there was a woman he loved, clearly implying she has died.

Or that became his worst enemy? BR is training Bran to be a Greenseer ; since he is a Stark, one could associate him with earth and ice magics. If Quaithe is Shiera, she's trying to guide the most powerful fire magician there is. The parallel seems sweet. And Quaithe is repeatedly associated with stars in the books.

52 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Or that became his worst enemy? BR is training Bran to be a Greenseer ; since he is a Stark, one could associate him with earth and ice magics. If Quaithe is Shiera, she's trying to guide the most powerful fire magician there is. The parallel seems sweet. And Quaithe is repeatedly associated with stars in the books.

I won't say there is not star imagery involved with her, and its not impossible, but BR's quote is imo a point against.  He mentions the woman he loved along with a brother he hated and a brother he loved, both of which are definitely dead.

I don't think she's Old Nan. Why would she go to North of all places? Quaithe would be more plausible since her mother is from Lys, the East. And she knew and practiced dark magic, like her mother, which could make her almost eternally young. So, she might not look so young anymore but still looks and sounds a lot younger than her age, like Quaithe. I like the voice of that actress that played Quaithe...wonder when and if she will ever return to the show.

33 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I won't say there is not star imagery involved with her, and its not impossible, but BR's quote is imo a point against.  He mentions the woman he loved along with a brother he hated and a brother he loved, both of which are definitely dead.

The quote suggested to me that he had moved beyond that sort of emotion. 

48 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Sometimes, when people change and become the very things you loathe, they are as good as dead to you.
Quaithe is a shadowbinder who no doubt dabbled with human sacrifices to prolounge her life and whose agenda may be very sinister. Bloodraven on the other hand spent a lifetime protecting the realm, even sacrificing his honour and his position to end the Blackfyres, and may still be trying to save Westeros.

51 minutes ago, Valens said:

I don't think she's Old Nan. Why would she go to North of all places? Quaithe would be more plausible since her mother is from Lys, the East. And she knew and practiced dark magic, like her mother, which could make her almost eternally young. So, she might not look so young anymore but still looks and sounds a lot younger than her age, like Quaithe. I like the voice of that actress that played Quaithe...wonder when and if she will ever return to the show.

Following BR. 

1 minute ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Following BR. 

Oh yeah! That's right...so you think she just went up there when he was sent to the Wall? But still...she wouldn't be allowed to see him anyway, or be with him, so why would she bother? I dunno...sounds a bit improbable to me. And there is a passage when Dany dreams of Quaithe where it is mentioned that seastars shone around her, something like that.

Yes.  I'm rarely dead set on any one theory.  I can usually see how all of them fit and like to entertain all possibilites.  In this case, I just like the Old Nan one.  Maybe BR told her he wouldn't be at the Wall long and then they could be together.  Maybe he saw something to suggest that and he didn't realize it was bc he was going into the cave.  If he told her "hey baby, i'll be right back" that would be a good reason for her to say "all crow's are liars".  There's definitely more to the old gal than meets the eye.  But I haven't seen anything explain her other than being SS. 

Here's a good read on it.  https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/24gmx3/spoilers_all_theory_on_old_nans_true_identity/

Archived