Shiera Seastar's whereabouts

Valens

I hope you take applications :P 

I'm fascinated by miss Seastar and she was the first person I looked up in the wiki. The few little things we do know are teasers of a compelling character, like she is the only person with heterochromia in a world with magical eye-colours, practices the black arts and playing the field Targstyle.

Anyway I eyed over a search of ice and fire and there are three ongoing themes of blue and green as a combination: the Trident/Riverlands, priests of the Drowned God and house Manderly. Got some weaker hits (used not in combination but in decent proximity) for king Renly.

19 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I hope you take applications :P 

I'm fascinated by miss Seastar and she was the first person I looked up in the wiki. The few little things we do know are teasers of a compelling character, like she is the only person with heterochromia 

Tyrion Lannister and Euron Greyjoy also have heterochromia.  (Tyrion has green and black eyes, Euron has blue and black)

On March 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Arquibus said:

I've seen a theory suggesting that Shiera is none other than Old Nan. I know that everybody and their mother is tired of "secret Targ" theories about, well, everyone and their mother, but I like it.

I am tired of the secret Targ teories too, and I love the Targaryens. When you have too many of them then it is boring. I started a thread a long time ago about why people think there are so many green seers in the story because there were so many theories that people like Coldhands and and Howland Reed and lost of people from history were secret green seers. The author doesn't use his magic like that in the books. Not everyone is special because only certain people are. 

14 hours ago, Unacosamedarisa said:

Tyrion also has two different coloured eyes, one green, one black. 

As an aside, does that make Tyrion a half Targ bastard? 

14 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Tyrion Lannister and Euron Greyjoy also have heterochromia.  (Tyrion has green and black eyes, Euron has blue and black)

When one eye is black its not heterochromia, thats from injury (David Bowie for example). 

17 hours ago, Unacosamedarisa said:

Tyrion also has two different coloured eyes, one green, one black. 

As an aside, does that make Tyrion a half Targ bastard? 

By itself, no. When taken with all the other things like Aerys' thing for Joanna, the sudden fallout between Aerys and Tywin, the timing of Tyrion's birth, his very unLannister like features, oh and he seemingly is having dragon dreams all through Dance, it lends weight to the possibility. 

There were four Great Bastards. Daemon started the Blackfyre rebellions. Bittersteel kept them going. Bloodraven fought them both and went on the become the three-eyed crow. That suggests to me that Sheira has more of a story, which will have an impact on our story. The author hinted that she might still live like Bloodraven, when he had Egg tell us that she practiced blood magic to retain her youth. 

it's quite possible that Daemon lives on, in a sense, in Aegon, and that Bittersteel lives on, in a similar sense, in the Golden Company. On the other side of the coin, we have Bloodraven apparently reaching out to Jon, and Shiera possibly guiding Daenerys. 

If Jon is the prince that was promised, he needs Lightbringer. The George had Xaro tell us that Daenerys's dragons were a flaming sword above the world, so Bloodraven's old squeeze might be pushing the Mother of Dragons, and her wee bairns, in that direction... Remember who you are. Or, if you prefer the hot dragon babe to the special snowflake, maybe Shiera is pushing Daenerys toward Westeros to turn back the darkness herself. 

"What feeds a dragon's fire?" Marwyn seated himself upon a stool. "All Valyrian sorcery was rooted in blood or fire. The sorcerers of the Freehold could see across mountains, seas, and deserts with one of these glass candles. They could enter a man's dreams and give him visions, and speak to one another half a world apart, seated before their candles. Do you think that might be useful, Slayer?"

Samwell V, Feast

If Quaithe was entering Daenerys's dreams while seated before a glass candle that would strongly suggest that she was Shiera. 

Perhaps Valyrian sorcerers, not just anybody, were able to use the glass candles to enter men's dreams and give them visions. If true, and you accept that Quaithe was speaking to Daenerys with the aid of a glass candle, then she would be a Valyrian sorceress. We don't know of any current Valyrian sorceresses, but as noted above, we know from Egg that Shiera was said to have kept a youthful appearance by practicing blood magic. (We also know that Bloodraven and have found ways to prolong their lives.)

The only current use of glass candles at the Citadel that we know of is that Marwyn was able to confirm the existence of Daenerys's dragons and things going on at the Wall. We do not know whether all of the candles are burning or whether anyone else there is able to use them. After rereading the passage above I'm inclined to suspect that Marwyn is a seed or perhaps he was able to learn enough of Valyrian sorcery to learn how to use the candles.

13 hours ago, Sigella said:

When one eye is black its not heterochromia, thats from injury (David Bowie for example). 

When one eye is a different colour than the other it is called heterochromia whether it is caused by genetics, disease or injury.   Both of David Bowies eyes are blue but one of them has a permanently dilated pupil making less of the blue visible.

8 hours ago, White Ravens said:

When one eye is a different colour than the other it is called heterochromia whether it is caused by genetics, disease or injury.   Both of David Bowies eyes are blue but one of them has a permanently dilated pupil making less of the blue visible.

Yeah but I figure that acquired heterochromia isnt as magical as true genetic hetreochromia. Any fool can get injured and acquire one black eye.

On 3/29/2016 at 8:06 AM, Valens said:

Ok, this is my first thread here. I was always wondering what became of Shiera Seastar. Does anyone know if Martin writes exactly when she left King's Landing? I assume that might be when Bloodraven was imprisoned. And also, I know some have alledged that she is Quaithe, how old does that make her like "now" where the series and the last book are in time? I think she's a very interesting character, yet not developed enough. I hope Martin will unveil the secret wether she is Quaithe by the time the series (book series) ends. Quaithe does speak Westerosi perfectly in the series, when she talks to Jorah for instance, but isn't she shown to have dark eyes? Shiera had one blue and one green eye and was fair skinned. Quaithe doesn't look so fair skinned.

Shiera died a long time ago.  She is of the same age as Brynden Rivers and the only reason he still lives are the tree roots.  He's more tree than man.  Shiera can't live this long unless she found the fountain of youth and then she would parade her beauty for all to see.  Short story, Shiera died a long time ago.

4 minutes ago, E.S. Dinah said:

Shiera died a long time ago.  She is of the same age as Brynden Rivers and the only reason he still lives are the tree roots.  He's more tree than man.  Shiera can't live this long unless she found the fountain of youth and then she would parade her beauty for all to see.  Short story, Shiera died a long time ago.

According to Egg she was bathing in blood to keep her beauty back in the Sworn Sword, so it's not that big of a reach to assume she might had some help in not ageing from that.

4 hours ago, Sigella said:

Yeah but I figure that acquired heterochromia isnt as magical as true genetic hetreochromia. Any fool can get injured and acquire one black eye.

We only have your assertions that Tyrion and Euron weren't born with heterochromia.  Tyrion is described as having mismatched eyes of green and black as well as hair that is a mixture of pale blonde and black.  I think he was born with those eyes.  And Euron has a smiling blue eye and a black eye full of malice which he usually covers with a patch, but sometimes he covers the smiling eye and exposes the dark eye instead.  Sounds kind of dark magical to me.

5 hours ago, E.S. Dinah said:

The Undying are hundreds if not thousands years old. Shiera's mother Serenei was much older than she looked, she used sorcery to stay young. Dragons can live for centuries, and some Targaryens did had certain dragon features, such as wings, or scales, or maybe unusual DNA, thanks to which maybe some of them are able to live as long as dragons. Shiera was both dragonseed and user of blood magic, so it's likely that she can live for as long as she will want to. Couldn't be a coincidence that she ended up in Qarth, where the Undying lived. Maybe after departing from Westeros, she went to Asshai, studied for a bit there, then went to Qarth, to learn even more magic. And her knowledge is vast enough, to make her nearly immortal.

52 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

We only have your assertions that Tyrion and Euron weren't born with heterochromia.  Tyrion is described as having mismatched eyes of green and black as well as hair that is a mixture of pale blonde and black.  I think he was born with those eyes.  And Euron has a smiling blue eye and a black eye full of malice which he usually covers with a patch, but sometimes he covers the smiling eye and exposes the dark eye instead.  Sounds kind of dark magical to me.

Tyrion had a medically traumatic birth in which his mother died so I figure his eye injury comes from that. Euron's eye might be part of some magic, like Vic's arm maybe?

But still, any fool can get kicked in the head by a horse and acquire one black eye so it isn't as as cool or magical as Shiera's blue and green.

Archived