Would you be ok with the Boltons surviving the series?

Barbossa

Hope they do, Roose is a fav of mine him  Tywin and Jaime plus Theon before he got the ramsay treatment are my only fav from the books. I found the starks boring all in all i was going to stop reading when in the first book Ned Stark couldnt handle Robert wanting to have the targs killed.  He was so naive i just couldnt bellieve this is a grown man that has been to war he was like a retarded child. Anyway the only books i had at the time and i'm great at wasting time...

If Walda has a son, fine I guess let the house live but I would have a problem with Ramsay not dying as it would feel contradicting for George and his style to let someone as dumb, loud, and violent as Ramsay come out of this ok and for Roose it would feel awkward since there has been this foreshadowing of whoever holds Harrenhal dies with Janos, Robb, Tywin, the Mountain, and (most likely) LF, but then have Roose live

I wouldn't mind Roose surviving. In fact I want him to survive. And Fat Walda Bolton and her child. I don't mind Starks taking revenge on him too. But if they go far enough to kill the child, then they would lose my respect forever.

Lol I am surprised at the support for Roose around here. True he is a very interesting and intriguing man BUT he is very treacherous as well. The story of him raping Ramsey's mother under the dead body of her husband is enough for him to be a favorite to get killed off by it's self. Definitely Ramsey has to go and even though Fat Walda seems pretty cool, her baby is a Bolton AND a Frey spawn so they need to go as well! The realm would be better off without Boltons and Freys in it IMO. The question isn't if the Boltons should be killed off, but how satisfyingly will they get dealt with to make up for all of their treachery.

Depends on who takes over the Bolton's land. I dont want another cadet branch of house Stark, i would prefer if someone with Andal heritage tookover or atleest southron descendt. not some wildling or other northman. 

Maybe it is better to keep the devil "Bolton" you know?

ps Robb should have bent the knee or atleest given up the Riverlands

3 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I wouldn't mind Roose surviving. In fact I want him to survive. And Fat Walda Bolton and her child. I don't mind Starks taking revenge on him too. But if they go far enough to kill the child, then they would lose my respect forever.

House Stark has done it before many times, they are one of the most brutal houses. But also very honoruble and self rightous.

1 hour ago, norwaywolf123 said:

House Stark has done it before many times, they are one of the most brutal houses. But also very honoruble and self rightous.

Exactly, I imagine Jon will be the epitome of ruthlessness and harshness when he is resurrected, he will resemble old Kings of Winter, both in stature and behavior. He will do some things he would have never done pre-stabbing out of necessity. He knows winter is coming, so he needs every human and non-human (giants, for example) souls in the North and Beyond the Wall at his command and man the Wall. I don't think he will care much what others think about his actions, he will just do it because it is NECESSARY in order to fulfill his vows of "the sword in the darkness, the watcher on the walls, the shield that guards the realms of men". Though he will officially stop being a brother of the Night's Watch, the vows he gave to weirwood trees will always stick to him, even as Lord of Winterfell (yes, he will eventually become Lord of Winterfell, Rickon is a temporary figure and the last Stark to die in this series, he will be the story bridge between Jon and Davos after Stannis leaves the North).

I think Ramsay will be the last Bolton that Jon either flays alive (to mock House Bolton and warn everyone else who decides to betray House Stark against it) or do something else horrible (burn alive at Melisandre's request?). If Tywin and Stannis and even Dany taught us anything, your subordinates need to fear you in order for them to think twice before daring a thought of treachery. And it is right in my opinion.

9 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Hou se Stark has done it before many times, they are one of the most brutal houses. But also very honoruble and self rightous.

You are right. But honour and self righteousness seems to be very recent traits only after Ned. The Starks before reminds me of Boltons without the flaying. Anyway if Jon tried to hurt children because of revenge then he will become Ramsay level to me.

13 hours ago, Nimble as Dick said:

Lol I ambabised at the s upport for Roose aound here. True he is a very interesting and intriguing man BUT he is very treacherous as well. The story of him raping Ramsey's mother under the dead body of her husband is enough for him to be a favorite to get killed off by it's self. Definitely Ramsey has to go and even though Fat Walda seems pretty cool, her baby is a Bolton AND a Frey spawn so they need to go as well! The realm would be better off without Boltons and Freys in it IMO. The question isn't if the Boltons should be killed off, but how satisfyingly will they get dealt with to make up for all of their treachery.

What we heard about Ramsay's mother is bad. But is that the truth? We may never know. 

Roose had reasons to betray Robb as Robb himself was committing treason from the perspective of the Iron throne. Roose chose what is best for him.

What is more surprising and shocking? People being okay with children being killed because their family name is Bolton or Frey.

The Starks can't let the Boltons get away with it, Roose and Ramsey especially will suffer a horrible end and the Starks will rise again.

22 hours ago, The Wolves said:

No they need to be wiped from the North. 

There continued existence is already contrived to have them survive the series would be ridiculous. 

And why would the Starks continue to let any Bolton live and hold the Dredfort the land or power is stupid beyond reason. Realistically the Starks should wipe them from existence starting with Roose, Ramsey, that baby in utero, any and all other relatives than on to the Dredfort they need to burn that bitch down. 

Plus the Boltons are so fucking boring. 

While I agree with you, I find it definitely hypocritical from your part to judge and condemn Tywin's choice of murdering Rhaegar's children and Robert's wish to see all Targaryens (his enemies) dead and so his choice to not punish Lannisters men for what they did but at the same wholly agreeing with the complete extermination of families such as the Freys, the Boltons and perhaps even the Lannisters no matter the degree of involvement of each members in the Red Wedding because they are/were dangerous to your golden family. Ironically your reasoning isn't so different (to not say exactly the same) from those "monsters" at the end.

4 hours ago, Kal-L said:

The Starks can't let the Boltons get away with it, Roose and Ramsey especially will suffer a horrible end and the Starks will rise again.

While I agree with you, I find it definitely hypocritical from your part to judge and condemn Tywin's choice of murdering Rhaegar's children and Robert's wish to see all Targaryens (his enemies) dead and so his choice to not punish Lannisters men for what they did but at the same wholly agreeing with the complete extermination of families such as the Freys, the Boltons and perhaps even the Lannisters no matter the degree of involvement of each members in the Red Wedding because they are/were dangerous to your golden family. Ironically your reasoning isn't so different (to not say exactly the same) from those "monsters" at the end.

It is hypocritical, yet I don't care. 

I wouldn't mind if the Bump survived... You can always send the Bump to the Faith (regardless of its gender) or to the Citadel, if it is a boy.

I would mind if the poor sods, that had the misfortune of living on the Bolton lands and therefore serving the Boltons, were indiscriminately put to sword.

I think it's probable, and I would be fine with it. I think that it thematically makes sense; the idea that even those who have done wrong are not beyond redemption, and that they can change and have a place in the future of the world. The idea that you cannot blame a child for the sins of the previous generation.

Simply exterminating a house because we don't like them is not Martin's style, and if someone we do like and empathize with ends up controlling the North (let's say Sansa, a common hypothesis), then the only way I can see the Boltons dying out altogether would be if someone who hasn't yet matured (like Arya), or a ruthless character like Littlefinger or Lady Stoneheart, was to kill them. The Others could kill them in a battle, but I find that extremely unlikely for a number of reasons, but that's another post.

My reasoning? If Sansa (a sympathetic, good-hearted  character) were to essentially pull a Rains of Castamere/Red Wedding on the Boltons, the moral of the story would basically be "an eye for an eye," which is practically the opposite of the message GRRM has been trying to send. I could see murdering a bunch of Boltons being a part of Arya's arc, whether she grows and later realizes she was wrong, or her vengeful nature her killed tragically. But this is not the kind of story where the good, sympathetic characters will end up slaughtering the evil characters, in a justified massacre. GRRM has been telling us time and time again that war, revenge, genocide, etc., are not the answer, and that when we treat the "others" (in this case, the Boltons) as inhuman monsters (who it would be right to exterminate, for instance), we become inhuman ourselves.

17 minutes ago, No Gods, No Masters said:

I think it's probable, and I would be fine with it. I think that it thematically makes sense; the idea that even those who have done wrong are not beyond redemption, and that they can change and have a place in the future of the world. The idea that you cannot blame a child for the sins of the previous generation.

Simply exterminating a house because we don't like them is not Martin's style, and if someone we do like and empathize with ends up controlling the North (let's say Sansa, a common hypothesis), then the only way I can see the Boltons dying out altogether would be if someone who hasn't yet matured (like Arya), or a ruthless character like Littlefinger or Lady Stoneheart, was to kill them. The Others could kill them in a battle, but I find that extremely unlikely for a number of reasons, but that's another post.

My reasoning? If Sansa (a sympathetic, good-hearted  character) were to essentially pull a Rains of Castamere/Red Wedding on the Boltons, the moral of the story would basically be "an eye for an eye," which is practically the opposite of the message GRRM has been trying to send. I could see murdering a bunch of Boltons being a part of Arya's arc, whether she grows and later realizes she was wrong, or her vengeful nature her killed tragically. But this is not the kind of story where the good, sympathetic characters will end up slaughtering the evil characters, in a justified massacre. GRRM has been telling us time and time again that war, revenge, genocide, etc., are not the answer, and that when we treat the "others" (in this case, the Boltons) as inhuman monsters (who it would be right to exterminate, for instance), we become inhuman ourselves.

I still don't get why the Starks should continue to let the Boltons exist . Somebody remind me where did continuing to let them exist get the Starks if we go back to ASOS, AFFC, and ADWD we'll find out. 

The Starks have just been fucked over so much throughout the books for such petty reasons like smal grudges, that ugly chair and power that I'm okay if they exterminate their enemies even the innocent ones. 

Also when have being sympathetic, humane, or even fair ever got the Starks anywhere but dead and betrayed in this story? 

1 minute ago, The Wolves said:

I still don't get why the Starks should continue to let the Boltons exist . Somebody remind me where did continuing to let them exist get the Starks if we go back to ASOS, AFFC, and ADWD we'll find out. 

The Starks have just been fucked over so much throughout the books for such petty reasons like smal grudges, that ugly chair and power that I'm okay if they exterminate their enemies even the innocent ones. 

Also when have being sympathetic, humane, or even fair ever got the Starks anywhere but dead and betrayed in this story? 

The problem here is that you don't need to kill even the yet unborn child to achieve the end of the Bolton lineage. All you need to do is sent the child to the Faith, the Citadel or even the NW and the line ends right there.

There is also a reason why the Starks still have support in the North even after their apparent fall/extermination. That reason is not that they kill everyone (and their families) that crosses them but rather that they were fair and caring lords that got the North through many winters. When you use fear to rule, you run a risk that when you fall on hard times, those you ruled will turn on you and tear you apart. All we need to do is wait and see what happens to the Lannisters in the next books.

Archived